“Very far from 5 star”

Ranked #46 of 62 Hotels in Eilat
montreal
“Very far from 5 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel which is more of a time share unit with local Israelis who stay for two weeks every year.
Being such it is not a spot tourists stay and the standard is quite low.
It was rated as 5 star but I would never give it more than a 3 star.
The rooms are old and in desperate need of renovations.
The pools are mediocre, the hot tub was closed for painting but of course no painting was ever being done.
The breakfast while extensive, is served in an old fashioned dining area and not condusive to fine dining as I would have liked.
The staff is not pleasant, not at all accomodating.
The location is good as it is across from the beach but please do yourself a favour and choose one of the many other first rate hotels in the area,

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank mingusMontreal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Do not go to this hotel if you are looking for a romantic, stylish, pampering setting. This hotel definitely does not fit into any catagory titled: "the art of traveling", "stylish hotels around the world", "hotel design" etc.

If you are traveling with children and you looking for a basic/no-frills hotel to eat, shower, sleep, and the children can play around, then this hotel will be fine.

Hotel concept - A huge cruise ship, with a swimming pool, grotto, bridges in the central courtyad (the rooms surround it). This is closed playground that will amuse children (emphasis on children). In addition to the pool, there is a game-room and a petit soccer field.

Food - If you and your children are not into gourmet/fine dining, then the breakfast and dinner will satisfy. You will enjoy a wide buffet selection with familiar home cooked meals. The dinning room/hall's interior design is basic, and so are the table settings, dishes, cutlery and paper napkins. No chandeliers, linens (i.e: table cloth, napkins), upholstered chairs etc., therefore "no jackets required".
Setting is clean.

Rooms - Basic design and setting. In other words, a room to shower, watch TV and sleep, with a small kitchenette and balcony. Furniture is very basic too (almost ascetic). The decor is terribly kitsch and tacky, with too much marine motifs repeated everywhere - floor to ceiling, wall to wall, lobby, corridors, elevators (which could be amusing for children).
Bed linens are the most basic, cheap fabric. By the way, the mattress sheet is not a fitted sheet (no elastic corners). One pillow per person.
Rooms are clean.

Hotel reception - Was difficult to find. It is not at the lobby entrance and there are no visible signs/directions to its location. When we arrived, there were 2 hotel staff workers who greeted us, dressed in "Liberace" inspired suits.

Hotel location - Easy to find. On Eilat's central street, within walking distance from shopping mall, beach, beach promenade.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Londonj
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

The Club Hotel is designed to look like an enormous cruise ship. Inside, the sea-faring theme continues: there's the fibre-glass dolphins that jut into the air, poised to dive into one of the enormous swimming pools; a walkway tunnel designed to look like a submarine; the sailor outfits the desultory staff are forced to wear. The lifts even make a submarine-esque pinging sound as they rise and fall. But as diving submariners soon discover, if you look beneath the surface, things are very different. Here's why you should under no circumstances stay at this hotel:

1) NO AIR-CONDITIONING - okay, so they do have a/c, but in the "winter" (it was 28 degrees in the day in February), the hotel has all the air-conditioning in ALL the hotel rooms set to heat. And there's nothing you can do about it, even if your room is on the top floor and it's been baking all day. I complained to a manager. She suggested I open the patio door to the lounge area while my 9-month old was sleeping and we were in the next room. No thanks! She then offered us a fan to cool the room. But when we asked reception to send up the fan, they told us they didn't have any, and that this was not possible. The result? My baby was overheating in the night, couldn't sleep and kept us up all night too.

2) NOISY: There was an international belly-dance festival taking place at the hotel while we were there. We expected some noise. But on the Friday night, not only was the noise from the hotel insufferable till 2am, but it was complemented by deafening music from a nearby bar. Another relaxing night.

3) NO GRAPE JUICE: On a Friday night, it's traditional for Jews to make a blessing over wine before eating their Sabbath dinner. The hotel provided wine, but there was no grape juice for the kids. They told me I'd have to buy some from the bar. Fine. I asked the bar-girl for some grape juice, but told her that, as I was Sabbath-observant, I wouldn't be able to sign for it (or pay there and then with money, which is also a Sabbath no-no). She told me this was impossible. "But this is Israel!" I said. She relented, and asked me what room I was in. I told her. She looked at her computer, and then told me that, as I'd paid for the hotel in advance, and they hadn't swiped a credit card, this too would be impossible. I thanked her and the hotel for being so understanding.

4) DIRTY ROOMS: Since the Club Hotel is so dismissive of guests' religious sensibilities, you'd expect them to apply the same mindset to cleaning the rooms. But no. On the Sabbath (Saturday), they don't clean your rooms. Brilliant!

5) THE STAFF: Some of the staff were helpful. The trouble is, so few of them spoke any English that it was almost impossible to be understood. As I handed in my key to check-out, the receptionist dutifully told me that was all. And dismissed me, without enquiring as to whether I had had a pleasant stay, or even a superficial "hope to see you again soon". "Thanks for asking," I said. "But no, I didn't enjoy my stay." She seemed rather shocked.

So if you do stay here, don't say I didn't warn you. I, for one, will be returning to the Royal Garden next time I'm in Eilat. I suggest you do the same.

Room Tip: High floors bake in the heat; low floors are noisy. Just don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Elmo_Cohen

Travellers are raving about these Eilat hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Been here with my family.
4 years old girl and a baby on February.
Hot tub was too hot at first but they fixed it.
The only big problem we had is that we had no curtains at the bedroom and we got the first floor. And it took so long until that was fixed.
I have to say that they felt very bad about it and we received a compensation.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Vilnius, Lithuania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

One bedroom + one living room with small kitchenette and balcony... Cleaners could do a better job though they give lots of towels which is nice since you don't have to use only two if you need more.
Reception's staff could be more helpful and pleasant. Once I came to the reception to ask something and there were two receptionists. One was dealing with other few visitors, the other was on the phone. I assumed that the one on the phone, after finishing phone conversation, will tend to me but she just walked off and I had to wait for another 10 min. for someone to help me! How rude is that????!!!!!
Another thing - we live in XXI century, wi-fi in a hotel room is now essential as hair dryer. Well, there was none! If you need it, pay extra, which is 15 shekels for an hour!!!! Outrageous...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Kfar Saba, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

In this hotel you get one bedroom + one living room + small kitchen + balcony. 5 people can sleep in double bed + double sofa + singe bed.
you can cook and save the restaurants expanses. 7 swimming pools for all ages. good performs of the hotel artists every day. I enjoy this hotel tow weeks every year, in the spring and the summer.

Room Tip: I recommend pool view in 5th floor
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Jerusalem, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed in "club hotel Eilat" in december 2013:
1.The pool and the jacuzzi were cold.
2.The service was terrible, the TV didn't work properly for four days.
3. The beds are uncomfortable.
NOT worth the money.