“great facilities (and breakfast) but below average service”

Isrotel Royal Garden
Ranked #21 of 62 Hotels in Eilat
Melbourne, Australia
“great facilities (and breakfast) but below average service”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

great pool, rooms and breakfast is diverse and very tasty.

The service was poor - understaffed waiters at breakfast every day.

but mainly - bed for kids was broken and was replaced only at 11PM!
Hotel apologised and offered 30% discount for 1st day however Reception had no knowledge of this which made checkout last over an hour.

Lastly, they charged me for a $10 donation without asking me ...

Room Tip: low floor as floors at the top are not cooled properly
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Benny L, Public Relations Manager at Isrotel Royal Garden, responded to this review, 1 September 2015
Dear Jonathan M
First of all I would like to thank you for taking your time to provide us with such valuable feedback.
We sincerely apologize for the shortfalls in our services and rest assured that this is not the standard we are usually proud of.

public relation manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We were 4 nights with 3 kids 15/10/7),they didn't want to leave!
Although the hotel was fully booked it was peaceful with room to everybody.
It was fun,clean and agreeable. The suite large and comfortable, the kitchenette is sufficient And the pools are great
It is not a 5 stars hotel but a good and full vacation for your family is guaranteed!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank SILB2607
Dear SILB2607
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I was very glad to read you had a pleasant and enjoyable vacation.
We will be happy to welcome you again,

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I are members of The Isrotel Royal Sun Club, the equivalent of a Platinum level in Airline Frequent Flyer programs. Isrotel is our favorite hotel chain in Israel. We have stayed numerous times at our 5 favorite Isrotel hotels. This is not one of them.

In late May 2014, for the 4th time, I had to stay at the worst Isrotel hotel I know, a hotel that shames the chain, the Isrotel Royal garden. I have never had to pay for staying there, as all four times were with my wife's employer "Family Weekends". Not going could have caused a divorce, and none of my displeasures with the hotel from previous stays have been solved.

Many of my friends like this hotel. I can't understand why. The hotel has the following deficiencies and it also suffered from them in my previous stays:

1. The hotel's staff does not function properly when the hotel is at full capacity, like it was during our stay. Examples would be the cleanliness of the areas between the sandy pool and the elevators, as well as dirty public toilettes with no toilette paper.
2. The ratio of public space to guests at the pool areas is inferior to other Isrotel Eilat hotels.
3. The corridors between the elevators and the rooms are not air-conditioned (guys, this is Eilat, not Norway).
4. Many of the hotel's public parts need to be refurbished. It was a pity to look at the carpets in the dining room.

This time, however, I also found the hotel's front desk staff to be annoying, as the two following examples will show:

1. I called and asked whether we had free WiFi in our room. Was told the cost was $3 (₪10) per hour or $12 (₪40) per day. I mentioned we were members of the Isrotel Royal Sun Club. Nothing helped. The hotel employee I called was clearly uncomfortable with this ludicrous charge, but could not change anything.
2. We asked for a late checkout as Gold members of the Isrotel Royal Sun Club. I was told that our room was booked, and they could not grant us a single moment of late checkout. Later, the CFO of my wife's employer arranged a 5PM checkout for all employees, including for our reserved room.

This hotel needs a serious shake-up.

Room Tip: Stay at the Isrotel property on the other side of the road, the Royal Beach.
Tel Aviv
Reviewed 24 May 2014

It's a very strange hotel. It looks renovated, and the rooms are ok, however, there are numerous flaws that may make you think twice before choosing this hotel. For some reason, we were not warned the parking just outside the main entrance is not free for the hotel guests, while the free one is at the remote corner of the parking lot. As a result, we got a ticket. What's more, check-in took a terrible amount of time. Beach robes are only given to the select few happy occupants of rooms of a certain type, and even extra payment didn't help, so we had to walk from the hotel to the nearby beach while being fully dressed and had to walk back to the hotel while being fully dressed and wet (the changing rooms of the beach are farther than the hotel itself). Et cetera. So I don't recommend to stay at the hotel, unless you don't care about the service.

1 Thank yanm22
Swampscott, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We came here with two young kids (2&4 yo) following family recommendations and weren't disappointed. We booked a pool view suite on the Isrotel website (best prices we found) and were upgraded to a special family suite upon arrival. Check in was fast informative and efficient just as we like it. Parking is easy close to our wing's entrance. Hotel room has everything one needs and more. Service was friendly and swift. Our kids loved the pools and lush grounds with beautiful palm trees and gardens. Plenty of restaurants on site although lots of other ones all over the north shore hotels area. We used the on-site mini market (expensive) and restaurants, they're handy when feeling tired after a day in the sun, but would recommend to shop in the larger supermarkets in the city and shop in the large mall in the entrance to Eilat as more reasonable. Wish we could stay longer than the 4 days!!! Highly recommend this hotel to anyone with kids!!! (They also have a kids club with all sorts of activities and some shows but our kids are too young for these still).

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Elle2004
Dear Elle2004
We will be happy to welcome you again,

Ramat Gan, Israel
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Royal garden is the exactly hotel for families. Very nice swiming pool In the suite there is large bedroom and a large living room for our kids. The full equipped kitchen gives us comfortable staying. The food in the breakfest is poor for 5 stars hotel !

Room Tip: Take the room with view to the poll
1 Thank אילנה י
Dear אילנה

We appreciate your time taken to share your opinion with other readers.
We are pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back one day!

Public relation manager
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We held a 4 night family reunion in Eilat, renting four rooms at the Isrotel Royal Garden Hotel. We received recommendations from our family and the kitchenettes were a plus factor as we had seven young grandchildren with us. I must fairly say that the physical hotel, breakfasts and pool areas were clean and maintained well, but the problems arose on the part of other services.
We had continued problems with our room card which failed to open the door after being used for a few times. I had to exchange the card 7 times until we finally checked out. Although security was sent a number of times to check the lock and the main desk even printed new cards from the "brain" machine in the back office, no solutions worked. I even was sent to the office of the hotel service manager who also reprinted the cards. One security man checked the lock and found that the optical reader was functioning properly. I was not pleased having to waste time waiting at the reception desk for a reoccurring problem. At one point I was told that if the problem persisted, I would be given a key to open our lock. This never materialized. You also need to use your room card to use the elevators up to the rooms and to enter the hotel from the rear parking area and this ceased to work which was sometimes quite an inconvenience. I have traveled often throughout Europe and the U.S. and have never been so inconvenienced by a room card or key. In much less expensive hotels, the management would offer a different room or if none was available, a room at a different hotel of similar level. I might add that there was an Isrotel Chain hotel a stones throw opposite our hotel but no effort was made to check if there was a suitable room available. Although all service employees were polite and offered to take care of the problem, they failed to find a solution.
The standing reading lamp next to the folding couch bed had exposed internal wires where the insulation had been cut and faultily covered with electrical tape. The only way to operate the line switch was to play with the cord and find a position where the electrical short would make contact. As we had young grandchildren coming in and out of the room, I was concerned that someone would receive a 220 volt shock. An electrician was sent who took the lamp to exchange but the alternate one had the same exposed wires. Out of frustration, I took the lamp to the reception desk and told them to only send a lamp without exposed wires. Every half hour for three times I called the desk as I was told it would take about 1/2 hour. In the end, when I told them to forget about the lamp, I was told that they would look in the storeroom for another one and it promptly appeared. Why was this not done immediately?
My son, who was in a room next to ours on the second floor of building C, also had similar problems. The lamp by the couch bed flickered on and off when trying to read and had exposed wires also, obviously having an electrical short. They had to take the plug out of the wall as they have two young children and didn't want them near the lamp. I don't think management or the guests would keep shorted lamps as these in their homes, and if so, why in expensive hotel rooms.
Upon check-out on Saturday, 12 April 2014, I expressed my dissatisfaction with the hotel service and lack of solution to problems that arose during our stay. I was offered a compensatory discount of 3.6% from my total room bill for four nights. I told them that I am a subscriber to Trip Advisor and would be publishing my experiences at the hotel for other concerned travelers and management to read. I was told that a manager further up the executive line would be calling me in a few days but almost two weeks later, NOTHING.

Room Tip: Check out lamp before accepting the room and hope you have no room key problems.Explore other hotel...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family