“I expected more out of it”
Review of Herods Boutique

Herods Boutique
Ranked #24 of 61 Hotels in Eilat
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We visited the Herods Boutique for 3 nights during August 2014, which is the high season.
We're a couple with one 1 year old baby, and we're from Israel.
I chose this hotel because of the reviews here on TripAdvisor and it being ranked number 3 in Eilat, and because it says it's quieter than the regular hotels (like the Herods Palace), the photos seemed nice and I chose a "Junior suite edom" room because I wanted a big room, I hate it when we need to squeeze in.

THE ROOM:
It was indeed big with plenty of space, you have a living room with a couch that can be opened to a dual bed, and a door that separated the bedroom, and two Panasonic LCDs.
Design wise it is outdated, with colored marble (green and red? common!) in the bathroom, seems like it came from the 90's, wall to wall STAINED carpets, stained sofas, torn curtains, torn bed sheets and all around worn out, to be fair most of Eilat hotels are outdated, but for the amount of money we paid (1700nis per night! ~ $485) I didn't expect such bad wear and tear.
They REALLY need to renovate.

The room (774) is right next to the elevator so can be a bit noisy in the living room.

The bathtub had hairs from the previous guests when we arrived - it was very clear, don't know how they missed it. We left dirty diapers next to the door (inside the room) sealed in plastic bags, they failed to clear them at times although it's obvious they are garbage - poor house keeping.

I asked for a baby cradle in my online order but that wasn't there when we got to the room, called reception and they sent us a full sized bed instead of a cradle.... then a few more minutes and the cradle arrived.

I brought with me a Dune streamer player I wanted to connect to the TV with an HDMI cable, but although I managed to change to the correct input it didn't go past loading, I think it's some kind of parental control in the TV so just gave up on that. They do supply you with satellite TV and a DVD player, I just prefer watching my own shows.

Bed was comfortable and we managed to get a good sleep, the tired baby sleeping the whole night helped too :-)

THE FOOD:
We chose half-board which means dinner included. The dining room is small and not over crowded because it's not a huge hotel, there's plenty variations of food, but for my taste it was quite average for most of it, surely not on par with a good restaurant as some other reviewer mentioned, quite honestly I can make tastier food myself and I'm no Chef. The food wasn't bad, but I didn't find it that good either.
My wife is a vegetarian and she was actually pleased with the food although she's usually problematic when it comes to eating out. During Saturday dinner she didn't find a decent dish and the cook told her she should have mentioned on reception she's a vegetarian so they would have made her something, it was 19:00 and now he can only cook it when the "Shabbat" is over (after 20:00), that is because of Kosher rules, the cook was very nice and tried to help as he could, but I think in our day and age they should have vegetarian dishes available at all times and not only by special request.

THE POOL:
The boutique has it's own pool and it's pretty nice. The good thing about it that it's a difference complex from the main pool in the Palace, so even though it's high season it's not as crowded (in the palace people are almost one on top of the other). the bad thing is that there's no real separation, basically anyone can get into the pool, there's no guard or gate, you only need to walk across the bridge from the palace and you're there, and there goes the main advantage of the boutique. I'm quite certain a group of European tourists did just that, as the pool was filled with them (about 90%), I saw some of them leaving back to the palace, and we didn't see most of them during the meals. There were no "Arsim" at the pool, but these tourists were unfortunately not much better.
We always found clear chairs when we went to the pool which is good during this time of the year.
Many of the other guests were families with small children (ages 6m to 10y), so if you want to relax by the pool, even though it's "quieter" hotel, it's not quiet enough and you should probably go to the Vitalis which is adults only ;-)

The separating gate between the baby pool and the main pool has a a rod missing - they should fix is as a baby can pretty easily pass if parents don't stay aware.

KIDS:
If you're a family and you want activities for the young ones then the kids club is at the neighbor complex - the Herods Palace which is a bit of a walk. We found that a 1 yr old doesn't have much to do there. It's oriented mostly for bigger ones or ones that only crawl. The games that interests him weren't there and it was empty when we got there, when other kids showed up they supplied some interest. We found it's a shame the kids club closes at dinner (18:00) and doesn't reopen after - if we want to stay at the hotel, what are we supposed to do with him after dinner? just stay in the room? There were activies outside the club like a show of the TV star "Yuval hambolbal" at 20:30, but that's too late for him as he already goes to sleep, plus he's too young for it.

All in all it was a relaxing vacation, considering high season the hotel wasn't over crowded, nor as quiet as it can probably be off-season. check-in and out were swift, and plenty of parking. but for an old and torn design and basic food I feel like we didn't get the value of our money.

Room Tip: 774 - Good view to the mountains and lagoon but keep in mind it's right in front of the Elevator...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Ranchu12

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

we were here for 4 nights. good food. I suggest to eat in the main dining room. There are 4 swiming pools and nice view from them. The room are nice and cleen and the service is excelent. Wish you to have fun.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I travel regularly on business and with my family. We stay in nice hotels (see my reviews of other hotels we stayed at this summer eg Westin Palace Madrid or Mamilla Hotel in Jerusalem), Herods is a 3 star hotel at best and it has terrible service.

Check in was agonizingly slow. The rooms (I booked 2- one for me and my wife and one for the kids) were ugly and there were stains on the furniture. The restaurant where we had breakfast was dirty - again stains on all the chairs. Service was non-existent.

The pool area is a disaster. Overcrowded and no hope of finding anywhere to sit.

And towel cards? Are you kidding me? Towel cards? Their towels are tiny and feel like sandpaper and You are only allowed one per person and only if you have your card. If you don't return the towels and get your card back, they will charge you. Seriously.

I was supposed to stay 3 nights but checked out after 2 and would have left immediately if I could have.

If you can, stay at the royal beach - much nicer hotel. Do yourself a favour and DO NOT STAY HERE.

Stayed: July 2014
12  Thank Stevieray99
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Herod's Boutique is part of three hotels on one complex. The Palace is the large one, the Vitalis is a spa, and the Boutique is smaller and not overrun by small children. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, with nice bathrooms. Every thing was spotless. I am not sure this applies to all guests, but we were allowed access to the Vitalis spa without having to pay an entrance fee. We also were able to make reservations at local sites through the hotel. The Red Sea is cuddled up to the hotel, which also has a very nice swimming pool. The hotel complex is beautifully maintained, and the food in the atrium of the Vitalis was very good. One downside: At least at the Boutique, the staff were incredibly unhelpful; in fact you would think they've never stepped outside the hotel into the town, based on how little they seemed to know. Nonetheless, I will happily stay here again if ever in Eilat.

Room Tip: We had 803 and were quite pleased with it. It had a lagoon view and great air conditioning.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed for three nights, amazing food comparing to the best restaurants in the city. Service in the public areas was excellent . One of the best "value for money" hotels.
Location near the best Mall in city in a short distance walking.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tor1000
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Me and my fionce arrived to celebrate my Birthday in this hotel,
we choose this hotel after we read a lot of reviews about this hotel is quiet and without children.
it wasn't the case at all,
The hotel was crowded with children and a lot of noise, I didn't see any diffrence between this hotel and the main hotel. when we told the front dest about the noise they told us they can transfer us to other room but they pretty sure it will be the same problem there.
the hotel wasn't well kept at all, it was a lot of dirt.
I must say there was a very good things about the hotel as well, the room was great, a very large room and a very nice balcony, and the breakfest and the pool was great as well.
but i think when i see the pros and cons, i think there is much more cons.
i wouldn't recommend this hotel,
As i said, after reading the reviews here, i expected much more.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed in the hotel for the 6 time, nothing to say, really the best spa hotel in eilat.
No children, open traklin food all the day.
Wondefull spa, very quiet place.
Rooms were renoved, and the lawrence & tamarin restaurants are very good.
We will come again