“Dear Colony Haifa , You Are Not Doing Me A Favor !!! I'm Paying You Money !!”

The Colony Hotel Haifa
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Haifa
Jerusalem, Israel
“Dear Colony Haifa , You Are Not Doing Me A Favor !!! I'm Paying You Money !!”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

On the 30th of November , me my brother and his wife stayed at the Colony Hotel Haifa for 1 night . we arrived to the hotel at 15:15 on Saturday after a really long trip in the North, there was no bellboy to help carrying the luggage , so we had to carry out 4 huge luggage all the way up the stairs !! . we went to the front desk , and the first impression the lady made , is your room is not ready yet !! you didnt even ask for our names !! ( how would you know if the room is ready or not if you didnt ask for the name to check the reservation ?? ) anyway , we gave the name just to double check , we had booked 2 rooms , so none of the 2 rooms were ready !! though that it says in they're website that the check in is at 14:00 !!!! , so i told the lady that we are supposed to get the room at 14:00 !! she answerd me in a really rude way , its Saturday !! and on Saturday and holidays rooms are not ready in that time because Jews cannot leave the rooms before shabat is over . IS THAT MY PROBLEM ??? Dear Colony hotel , i am paying money to stay at the hotel , you are not doing me a favor !! . so as the lady said that it is written in they're website that on holidays and shabat rooms might not be ready on time !! , so i did my self a favor and checked it in they're website !! and was surprised that in there it says that check in is at 14:00 including holidays and SHABBAT ( Saturday ) .
anyway she asked us to wait 10 minutes to take one room , and the second will be ready in an hour !! the 10 minutes were more a 30 minutes waiting !!
we had to go out and return to take the both rooms .
there is no laundry service in the hotel , if you want to make your laundry , you will need to go downstairs and do it by yourself !! is that a real 4 stars hotel ??????? i do not think so .
while checking out , the girl at the reception just didnt know who to do the check out !!! she had to call the manager and he helped her doing the check out !!

the rooms are ok !! the shutters of the windows kept on hitting the walls becuase of the wind that night !! but i guess that is once in a while !!

the workers smoke and drink coffee and gossip at the entrance of the hotel !! just infront of the guests !! as every 4+ stars hotel in the world does !! PLEASE MAKE A ROOM FOR THE WORKERS WHERE THEY CAN SIT AND DO WHATEVER THEY WANT !!!

the only good thing in the hotel , is the LOCATION , breakfast was OK !!

I would never go back again to that hotel , and as a travel agent i would make sure that none of my customers go there as well .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Hebrew first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This hotel is in a fantastic location with restaurants right out side the door and the beautiful Haifa gardens at the top of the road. The hotel is OK but they have NO parking available for guests and aren't interested in helping you. In fact the main problem with this hotel is that the staff are incredibly unwelcoming. It is also over priced - but we discovered that everywhere is expensive in Israel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Haifa
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I live near The Colony Hotel and walk past it several times a week. I had been dying to stay there ever since it was restored and reopened (it was built in 1905 and was part of the original German Templers Colony). I finally got the opportunity in October when I was part of a local tour group, and I was not disappointed. It's been restored as much as possible, with the exquisite original floor tiles, only with modern amenities (WiFi, etc.). Besides the fun of staying in a historic place, the food was delicious, the staff were all very kind and helpful, and I felt totally spoiled when I stayed there. When we came in the room, we found sumptuous terrycloth robes to use while we were there, terrycloth slippers to keep, a package of French butter cookies (mmm!), and every day a chocolate heart on each pillow! Definitely one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Catwoman313
Haifa
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My husband and I and other Haifaites joined our Israeli tour group at the hotel because we'd heard glowing reports. We weren't disappointed! All rooms are different. Ours was on lobby level on a side street. Quiet room with comfortable beds, wonderful bathroom with plenty of space for toilet articles, thick towels. Breakfast was excellent even by Israeli standards. The staff was helpful, courteous, and friendly. Lovely back garden. Great location, close to transportation and plenty to see on foot.
We'll recommend the Colony to Israeli and overseas visitors.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Colony Hotel in Haifa for one night and sadly they were unable to accommodate us for a further period as we would have wished. The service we received at the hotel was second to none. All of the staff were warm and welcoming . We particularly appreciated the efforts given to us by Chava on the front desk who was an absolute delight. We had a really good laugh with Simon who was a wonderful Mein host. The room we had was very comfortable with a jacuzzi bath which was fabulous. The breakfast was excellent. The position of the hotel was brilliant just yards away from the Bahai Gardens and with all the eateries just seconds away on the main street. The hotel has a very interesting history and was very atmospheric. We would not hesitate to stay at the hotel again if and when we return to Haifa.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Ra'anana, Israel
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed at Hotel 5th-7th Sep-2013, mature couple + child (20).
Staff:very friendly, professional, efficient, ready to assist. Rich Israely breakfast. Tripple room: cosy, comfortable, clean, with jacuzzi, nice view from room and especially from 4th floor roof to unique Bahai Gardens & Mount Carmel. Excellent location within beautifully restored Templar German Quarter, many restaurants, pubs + museums and nice restored buildings. Good accessibility both via public transportation (including new "METRONIT"(long busses moving swiftly on dedicated lanes) - and private cars, with free municipal parking lots around. Highly recommended!
Price: only fair value for money, even considering high season (Hebrew New Year holiday "ROSH-HASHANA").

Room Tip: Better choose view to Bahai Gardens.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Bethlehem, Palestinian Territories
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I have stayed several times in Haifa, but it was my first time in The Colony Hotel. I admit that I could not aim for a better stay. The place is very clean.. The people there are kind and always ready to help and answer questions. The furniture is good and comfortable.
Their breakfast is really outstanding, long hours and many many choices.
Visiting again Haifa with my wife, my sister and my three kids I'll stay again in the Colony Hotel.

B. M.

Room Tip: Our west rooms in the second floor were good and wide. I reccomend them highly.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family