“Quirky. But I love quirky...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Eden Hotel

Eden Hotel
Ranked #22 of 27 Hotels in Haifa
virginia, usa
“Quirky. But I love quirky...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Another reviewer used the word "odd." Yes, indeed. We had to go out on the balcony to get to the toilet. I tend to look for a bargain, so I expect to get what I pay for. I paid $72US for the night. There was no elevator, which I am used to from European travel. The doors were not well soundproofed, so a couple of times it sounded like someone was trying to get into our room. But the bed was comfy, there WAS a balcony, and the owner was the most adorable little old man. We took a picture with him before we left. He removed his spectacles for the photo, explaining: "Weezout my glasses I am mo' sexy." I cannot speak to the functionality of the shower, because we did not use it. (Is that bad? We only stayed one night.) No problems with the wi-fi, though.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Meg J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Lappeenranta, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Ok priced compared other alternatives same area, Staff was helpful and hotel location is good at Hadar district. Easy access around city whit bus or sherut.

Walk distance from carmelite underground and Bahai Gardens.

Big room whit good bed and cleaned every day , negative was that room was very noisy.
Could hear traffic,rattling of keys from next rooms,loud bird singing at morning; roadwork noise.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lemmy76
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

It sounded good in the blurb.. There were three of us in one room.. Which is my fault .. I had kids.. And this one was almost 19 years old!
But when we got there, it proved to be up 3 flights of stairs.. Now thats not a big drama, but I use a walking stick at the best of times,, so it was a pain,,.
Having said that, the room was small and old. Even with a small flatscreen tv, I felt like I had stepped back in time 25 years,
The location is great and right in the heart of the shopping areas. so thats a plus..
The owners are very obliging and helpful.. So thats another plus..
If it were just me n the missus, maybe I might not be so critical.
All in all... Better than sleeping on the streets,, cost US $ 160 for the night..including brekky..
hope its a good one!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank GRUMBLEBUM22

Travellers are raving about these Haifa hotels

U.S.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2010

I had my 22-year-old son write this review, as his comments about the hotel were hilarious and fit perfectly, making the stay a little less horrible:

The building the hotel was in looked like it was about one drive-by shooting away from being converted into a New York ghetto. I almost expected to find 50 Cent wandering the halls. They had no elevator, so we had to drag our luggage up the stairs. When I walked into the hotel room, two things came to mind. One was that it could be used as a setting in a post-apocalyptic movie. To say that the floor and carpets were dirty would be as big of an understatement as saying that Hitler was a bit of a jerk. My mother wiped a bit of the floor in front of the bed with a wet paper towel, and the wipe ended up looking like a patch of fur from a mangy dog… Or come to think of it, maybe the hair was from the many cats running around outside… There was no hot water in the sink, and in order to get any in the shower, we had to run the water for a good fifteen minutes. No one ended up using the shower. The toilet could only be accessed by going outside via the balcony, which offered a view of a rather creepy street at night. I considered checking under the beds to see how dirty it was there, but didn’t. This was mainly due to my fear of finding something that had been under there so long that it had become sentient, and I was disgusted enough without wanting the additional stress of a sock or condom under the bed yelling at me.

The phone in the room only could connect to the front desk, where the manager also called you down if you got a call from anywhere else. I know, seems like a set up in a cheesy horror flick, huh?

The other realization was that that this seemed more like a bordello than a hotel. Everything about the room just seemed that way, and the bed sheet covering the window kind of completed the image. The next day, a shop owner that we were speaking to made a joke about our hotel when he found out where we were staying: “Hotel Eden, huh? So did the broad come with the room?” This confirmed it. At night, we couldn’t sleep due to a cacophony of noise outside that came from what sounded like a car trying to give birth to a bulldozer.

We ended up paying $220 for two nights. I would’ve laughed if we hadn’t already spent our money. In fact, they should pay YOU to stay here. The pictures here are EXTREMELY deceptive. We almost went into fits of hysterical laughter at the picture of the bathroom and showers that were posted on the site. They are NOTHING like that. These pictures and the flowery description of the hotel, disguised the disgusting conditions here. We fell for this hook, line, and sinker… Or I guess “hooker, lie, and stinker” would apply better. After barely making it through one night with the noise of a metal abortion going on outside, we left and stayed with relatives the second night.

Do not book here unless you’re scouting locations for the next Mad Max movie or Fallout game. This “hotel” should be removed from any travel site. Avoid it like the plague... From the look of the rooms, you might catch one.

Oh, and the wireless internet was almost non-existent.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
11 Thank AKFamilyMan
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

We booked a room with a comfortable double bed, a shower, toilets and air conditionning. Great time and the owner, German, was very helpful and nice.
The falafels near the hostel are great (and kosher!).
A sherout near the hotel takes you to the bahai gardens for 5 shekels, or you can take the metro to go up the hill and have a great israelian breakfast before going to the bahai gardens. there is also a sherout for tel aviv a few meters away from the hostel 5great location).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vanamakda
Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

I arrived very early and just wanted to leave my suitcase but a nice man gave me a spare room to rest in. I think my "real" room was one of their better ones but I found it very basic. Nice balcony with a wiev of Mt. Carmel and the sea in the distance (and with a toilet!)
The reason for choosing the Eden? 100-200 dollars less than other free hotels in Haifa and that is why I'll recommend it - if you can cope without a lift, without hot water in the sink but with the stench of old cigarette smoke.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank bs02
cordoba
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

it's one of the worst hotels i`ve ever been to. it`s nasty, uncomfortable, disgusting. Besides the rooms where freezing and there was no heater. Unbelievable price (80 U$S per room) for such a bargain of hotel. i even think the others criticisms are made by themselves because y can`t believe they could have such a good comments. i just couldn't believe my eyes when i got into the hotel. Besides the reception it's on the 2nd floor, and there`s no elevator! nor staff to do it for you! and the rooms are on the 3rd floor... just embarrassing, i had no problem because i'm 25 and male, but my mother and sister...just imagine carrying 20 kgs through a 3 floor`s stair...

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family