“small price and place”

Ranked #16 of 23 Haifa B&B and Inns
Jerusalem, Israel
“small price and place”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Many/most tourists stay in 'uptown' Haifa, but near the bay there are only a couple of budget places. Sea Plaza is one. Run by friendly Russians, in a predominatly run-down, sadly neglected, Russian neighborhood.

The room for two we had was basically clean but really tiny. No breakfast. The hotel will wash/dry laundry for 60 shekels.

Room has fridge, plates/cutlery, kettle.
Staff were helpful at all times.
Hotel is in a quiet area half a block from the sea where the promenade starts. This has an ice-cream place, and a couple of restaurants near by.

Much of Haifa has become very shabby looking, from when I was last hear in 1975. Very sad to see so many apartment buildings, where the owners/residents have taken no interest in adding a little beauty or even simple upkeep. This would take such little effort. Of course, there are some homes that are gorgeous.

Would I return to Haifa: Yes! I love the place.
Would we stay at the Sea Plaza? Yes! Frequent busses nearby to go uptown.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Irisbo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Hebrew first
Vigo
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I travel frequently, and I stay in a wide range of Hotels in a wide number of different countries. I am pretty flexible, and I was well aware Sea Plaza is a budget Hotel without some of the usual perks. That said, nothing prepared me for the most awful experience I ever had in an Hotel:

1. the reception and the stairs were remarkably dirty. The room windows, in the 1st floor, had non-removable bars, and there were no visible fire escape routes.

2. The room had a very strong smell of cleaning chemicals, and after less than one minute I started feeling strong skin rashes (despite having all windows open when I arrived).

3. Despite this smell of cleaning chemicals, the room was not clean: towels were dirty and wet, laid inside the closet, and the bed linen had lots of hair.

4. I noticed a trail of around a dozen blood drops in the room floor. I called the reception guy. Once he arrived he "cleaned" the blood drops with his bare fingers (literally!). Afterwards he kept opening the room doors and the closet to change the towels (without ever washing his hands).

5. when I asked for a new room he refused, saying this was the last available room.

After this warm reception I decided to loose my non-refundable reservation and move to another Hotel.

I have to admit this is the first time I write a review for an Hotel I DID NOT stay in, but considering the positive reviews this Hotel has I felt I had to share my experience, so that others do not loose their money, like I did. In fact, even without the exceptional events that made me leave the Hotel I would still rate this as a lackluster place to stay. Is this a double personality Hotel?

To be honest, the only positive thing about this Hotel is the location close to the sea (but far from the interesting areas of Haifa, though).

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank john2008a

Travellers are raving about these Haifa hotels

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Staff is really nice and will give you all the tips you need about the city. Very clean rooms, decorated with surprisingly good taste. Sea promenade is just around the corner and acess to all sights is very easy.

Room Tip: There is a short flight of stairs to get to the rooms. It shouldn´t be a problem.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Umlitrodeletras
Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The Sea Plaza is a great deal for the budget conscious. It's a great alternative to a hostel. We spent one night in Haifa as a jumping off point for a road trip and so it was no problem that this hotel is a bit removed from the more tourist centric parts of Haifa. On the other hand the Sea Plaza is literally steps from the beach and promenade, I imagine it would be a blast in the summer. The room was very clean and and all the usual amenities were present including a fridge and kettle. One warning, the coffee provided is not the ubiquitous Turkish coffee but rather the minty kind, definitely an acquired taste.

The staff deserve a special mention for being incredibly friendly and helpful. We received great tips and directions for exploring the area.

The $10 paid to reserve a parking spot in the gated rear parking was a questionable decision because there was plenty of free street parking available. Again this may be worth it in the summer when the beach area would be busy.

Not looking for a 5 star but rather just a clean, comfortable room in a friendly hotel, I would definitely book again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank slowinthefastlane
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I was really glad to stay in this hotel. Room in ceparated block was good equipped, big enough and clean. I found all the nessesary in the kitchen. Just 1 minute from beautiful sea promenade and 5 min from beach or famous funikuler, which brings you to Stella Maris street and good cafe. Interesting Maritime museum ans Iliya`s Cave is very close to funikuler, its a pleasure to make small walk there. Staff in the hotel is very friendly, ready to explaine everything and help if you need. Nice bonus - solarium with tables and chairs on the 3 floor. You can cook in the room and have a dinner on the roof:) If you don`t like coocking you can find nice fish restaurant around the corner of you street. Everywhere is very quiet. Good place to go with family or friends.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Squirrel888
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I was really looking forward to my stay in this hotel - and I booked 2 nights - what a disappointment - I only stayed 1 night and did not even argue about the second night. I just left. The room was dirty (lots of black, long hair on the bed sheets, not from me!), the kitchen-area was all greasy and dirty and old, I do not even want to mention the bathroom - the shower was leaking and it was all very shabby and broken - they tried to renovate by coloring - but this does not help, if the furniture are old, broken and ugly.
Dimitry (the manager) might be trying - but this does not make a nice hotel out of a rubby,old, run-down place.
I am not sure how this could ever be number 1 on tripadvisor - this really distracts me - since I was always very lucky with tripadvisor - but this time it really failed.
Also: the hotel is not in a convenient area if you want to be in Haifa - you have to take a bus and even though it is a short ride - the hotel is definitely not in the center of Haifa.
Unfortunately I really cannot recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank shuggle
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Sea Plaza. I travel extensively for business, and the staff and service of this hotel are the best I have ever experienced!

The location is good, with a nice public beach and Mediterranean promenade a half a block away. There is a sun deck on the 3rd floor where we enjoyed sunset with a bottle of nice Israeli wine.

The room we had was small but well equipped with a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and hotplate (which we did not use). The bathroom was large, and recently renovated.

There is not a restaurant on site, but the wonderfully helpful staff recommended several restaurants a short walk away. This hotel is an outstanding value!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple