“Great day!!!”

TrekIs - Private Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 15 Outdoor Activities in Haifa
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Highly recommend Trekis for a private day tour. Ilan is incredible, fun, very knowledgeable. Picks you up in a beautiful SUV - we had a fantastic day. Book early, he's a busy guy.

All reviews
"biblical times"
in 2 reviews
"knowledgeable guide"

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were on a cruise that stopped for two nights / three days in Israel. When I started looking at the cruise side excursions I was disappointed for a couple of reasons: they didn't cover what I wanted to, and they spent way too much time going back and forth every night (sometimes more than 4 hours on the bus in one day). I didn't want to waste precious time in transport!

I got Ilan's name through a friend of a friend. I have to admit, I was nervous lining all this up for our group of 10 without knowing anything about Ilan other than what I read here. But I am SO glad we did this.

First, Ilan arranged everything... We needed a mini-bus because of the size of our group, and Ilan got the bus and the driver. He also arranged the hotels for us (with our input)...one night in Jerusalem, and one night at a kibbutz at the Sea of Galilee. He communicated with us ahead of time (even sending emails the night before when he knew exactly where our ship would be docked), met us at the port...and we were off for an unbelievable 3 days.

We went to Caesarea, then walked (and walked, and walked) the old city of Jerusalem. We fell into bed exhausted the first night! The next day, we finished up Jerusalem, went to the Dead Sea for a quick swim, then headed up to the Sea of Galilee for our second night. Our last day there, half our group was baptized in the Jordan, we went to Capernaum and Nazareth, and made it back to the ship with time to spare. All along the way, Ilan taught us about modern day Israel, and pointed out modern and ancient sites.

We covered many of the major holy sites. Much of the Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Western ("wailing") Wall of the Temple Mount (including showing us a small, out of the way section, that had much meaning), Mount of Olives, Garden of Gethsemane, Sea of Galilee, Capernaum, Nazareth. Plus we spent time in Caesarea, and the Dead Sea. Yes, this was all in under 3 days. Ilan was good about adjusting to our requests, both ahead of time and as we went. We extended our time in some places (Garden tomb and Jordan baptismal) and shortened it in others, according to the needs of our group. The extended time at the Garden tomb and the Jordan baptismal allowed us space, even in this incredibly busy schedule, for the spiritual reflection that was so vital to this being such an outstanding tour for us.

Just to give you an idea of how Ilan adapts: when he found out that one of our group was an avid fisherman and was hoping to throw his line in somewhere, Ilan found him a spot to fish for a couple of hours on the Jordan river during our evening on the kibbutz.

Our group ranged in age from 12-50s, and everyone had a great time.

Tips: either bring a good amount of cash (we had American dollars) or take the time to stop at an ATM. Ilan likes to take you to non-touristy restaurants which may not take a credit card, and particularly in Jerusalem, things are quite expensive. And if you want shopping time, figure out ahead of time what kinds of things you may want, and let him know (he doesn't intuitively think about stopping to shop!). If there are particular things you want to cover, let him know. Also: you'll need to let the cruise ship know you are leaving the ship, where you'll be staying, and contact info (I gave them Ilan's cell phone number). Give them this the night before you dock to save time.

When we got back to the cruise ship and told other people all we'd done, people were...jealous. No other word for it! Shore excursions couldn't compare. The cost for us was slightly more than it would have been for side excursions, but well worth it (and, if we hadn't had quite so large a group, I think it actually would have been cheaper... But renting the mini-bus with driver was costly).

Would I recommend hiring Ilan to others coming in on cruise ships? Absolutely. Without hesitation. This was 3 days that I think our group will remember forever!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I thought I had set Ilan the ultimate challenge, to show us a snippet of Israel over 2 days for a family of 6 with the children ranging from 12 to 6 years. He certainly surpassed our expectations. He was both informative and mindful of the fact that the children may not want to tour churches all day. He seemed to sense when an ice cream break or a camel ride was needed! Ilan's expertise on Jerusalem and the surrounding areas made our holiday a trip that we will not forget. Thank -you Ilan.

2  Thank Nicola K
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have been used Ilan's services twice in the last 6 months.both with customers and family. In both cases Ilan's gave a tour to remember making my customers want to come back to Israel and my family to relocate.
I will use his services again for sure