“Wonderful”

Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Haifa
Ny
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed in a renovated room on the sixth floor with a balcony oerlooking the port of haifa. The room was luxurious and had many amenitites. The outdoor pool complex is beuatiful as is the breakfast room overlooking it. Breakfast was plentiful. The best thing about this hotel, though, is the service. Every person from the bellman to the housekkeping staff was kind and helpful. Really extraordinary. The free wifi in the lobby was truly appreciated. The hotel has parking underneath for a fee. However, when we drove up, we were directed to a free lot a couple of blocks away, much appreciated. There were some negatives, however: our keys deactivated several times. At first we were told that this was due to proximity to a cell phone. Finally, a staff member admitted that it was really due to ongoing renovation (hopefully this means that this is a temporary issue). Another issue was the lack of ventilation in the bathrooms and the slippery floors therein. The shower has a slippery floor and the hand hold is inadequate esp for an elderly person. Finally, althoguh beautiful, there is another minor issue with bathroom design. Toilet and shower share a wall and there is transparent glass between them! Ok for single travelers but kind of a strange set up for others. These are minor issues however for what was a truly wonderful hotel

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank barndoors
DanHotelsIsrael, Management at Dan Carmel Haifa, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear Barndoors,
Thank you so much for your kind and thorough review of our hotel; we are indeed very proud of the recently completed refurbishments and our friendly professional service throughout the team; thank you for noticing this.
Looking forward to welcome you back at your next opportunity,
with regards,
Doron Keren - Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Woodbridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

We've done a great deal of traveling all over the world and this is one of the best hotels ever. Great rooms with large terraces, excellent amenities, wonderful food and perfect location. Magnificent views of the city. Right on the promenade.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Divenj,
Thank you for your kind review.
Indeed we are very proud to have the best location in Haifa overlooking The expansive Haifa port. We are delighted you enjoyed out large rooms and terraces.
We certainly strive to be the best hotel in the region and thank you for noticing that. .Hope to see you again soon
Doron keren - Hotel Manager
Israel
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I should start off with a disclosure. I was born in Haifa and spent many important early life moments at this hotel, which was the only 5 star hotel in the city. It was a distinguished and elegant property which made you feel special at every visit.
For this reason I was so saddened to see that, over the years, the hotel was not being adequately maintained by the Dan chain and gradually became quite shabby. For this reason, during my last visits at the city I stayed at some of the other, newer, hotels which I felt gave more value for money.
I was recently invited to come to Haifa to speak at a conference and decided to spend the night. As usual, I logged on to tripadvisor to get recommendations for where to stay and was pleasantly surprised to learn that the hotel had just undergone a serious renovation. On the basis of the reviews I read I therefore decided to "take a chance" and book a room at my old-time favourite. What a great decision!
The hotel has undergone a total "face-lift", including a full renovation (from scratch) of most of its rooms.
Upon arrival I was greeted by a very polite reception staff who surprised me by informing me that we had been upgraded to a one bedroom suite. What a suite! I would later learn that we were actually the first guests to stay in the room, the renovation of which (or perhaps I should say re-build) had just ended.
The two room suite includes a very large and beautifully appointed living room, whith a great writing table, two sofas, large screen flat tv, espresso machine and a wide variety of artistic decorations. The large bedroom includes an incredibly comfortable king-size bed (hard mattress, just as I like it) and another large flat screen tv.
Add to this a very large dressing corridor, with tons of storage space (enough for several weeks worth of clothes) and a great bathroom, with separate walk in rain shower and separate toilet and even a hidden tv built into the full-wall bathroom mirror. Both rooms have a nice view of the carmel mountain and the sea behind it, and you get one of the best (if not the best) suite I have ever been to in Israel (and if you follow my reviews you'll see I've been to quite a few).
To be fair - most people don't stay in suites, but I did take a peek at the (regular renovated) room I had originally ordered. I found a good sized room with the same high quality furnishings and decor that I found in the suite, with a very good and beautifully appointed bathroom and a magnificant view of the Haifa bay. All in all - a great room.

Service in the hotel was consistently professional, polite and welcoming. Friday dinner was great, with a fabulous assortment of dishes. Saturday breakfast was good, although I have seen larger selections in some other leading hotels.

Bottom line - I am glad to say that this (probably hugely expensive) renovation has brought back the Dan Carmel to its former glory days. For me, it is now again, by far, the best hotel to stay in Haifa. Just make sure to stay in one of the renovated rooms, preferably overlooking the bay.

Room Tip: Suites are glorious. If going for a regular room - make sure to take one overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
DanHotelsIsrael, Management at Dan Carmel Haifa, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Dear Dr63,
What a sincere pleasure it is to hear from such enamoured guests, or shall we even say friends.
We're so delighted that you decided to try our newly renovated rooms and take a tour of other rooms during your time here, it means the world to us to have our 'family' come back to visit and that you noticed all the great improvements we've made over the time.
Do come back to visit us again soon and allow us to thank you in person.
With most kindest regards,
Doron Keren,
Hotel Manager
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I didnt expect to like this hotel as much as I did. Everything about it was more than adequate.
The room, which was a bay view room was very nice and the food in the dining room was very acceptable. Customer service was great and we were sorry that we only had one night here, due to the fact that we were travelling with a tour.

I truly could not find one thing that i did not like in this hotel. It is just slightly short of five stars but that is the case for most good hotels. I recommend this hotel for anyone who is staying in Haifa. The location is good and it is just a short walk to restaurants and shopping

Room Tip: Get a bay view room
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jreyer
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We've stayed for one night in the weekend to celebrate my mom's birthday...
The rooms were well equipped and the stuff were great!!!
They have very good activity for kids in the Danilend club.
The spa was poor - I expected much more.... (poor rooms, not that clean, the bad did some noise, etc...)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Shlomy M
Axminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Very attentive staff at the Dan Carmel and a great view of the city and port. Room was spacious and comfortable and restaurant very good. There is a well maintained swimming pool too. The area is great for strolling with a few pleasant restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
DanHotelsIsrael, Management at Dan Carmel Haifa, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Dear Mr. Gary G
Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your experiences here at Dan Carmel.
As you noticed, the hotel has recently undergone an overall refurbishment so it is great to hear when guests appreciate the fine furnishings and comfortable atmosphere, coupled with our attentive team members.
Do let us know when you might be returning,
With regards,
Doron Keren - Hotel Manager
Olympia, Washington, United States
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I truly enjoyed staying in Dan Carmel Hotel. Our room was perfect for us. Customer service was outstanding. I was delighted as a customer on our last day. When were checking out, I asked about breakfast and was told that they begin serving in one hour. We didn't have time to wait, but the staff went above and beyond and worked with the kitchen staff to get us breakfast to go. My mom and I truly enjoyed our stay with Dan Carmel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear Dariush19
Thank you for taking the time to post your review here on Tripadvisor and for letting other travelers know of your unique experiences.
We strive to offer service above and beyond in all the Dan Hotels properties, so it is always a pleasure to hear of such service oriented team members; we will be sure to pass on your delight to the team as it is comments such as these that make the hard work all worthwhile.
with thanks,
Doron Keren - General Manager.