“To expensive”

Maxim
Ranked #114 of 362 Restaurants in Haifa
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Israeli
Good for: Groups, Kids, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Israel
“To expensive”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Great location and view towards the sea, but sixty shekels for two Shishlik sticks is almost two times the general price in restaurants. Rice and mushroom hummus were more than okay.

• Visited September 2013

• Hebrew first
Haifa, Israel
“Not a good choice”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We spend the morning on the southern seashore of Haifa (a.k.a. Hof Dori) and wanted to have a brunch, thus decided to check on Maxim. The resturant is located at the entrance to the road leading to the seashore, has great view to the side of the sea and serves middle eastern food. What can go wrong? We ordered a salads plate, humus, omlet, shakshouka (dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes), and big salads. The portions were small and only the shakshouka tasted good. The price was unequal high to what we had. The service was slow despite the fact that there were only few guests

• Visited July 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Best Location - Unlike The Rest”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Located on a gas station on the sea shore, by the railway in a 2story building
Wonderful view especially on sunset – no matter the season.
A lot of parking space and very easy access to the main road (No.2) from Haifa to Tel-Aviv.
So all the best reasons to run the winning horse but they do not !
Food came cold, late and someone forgot few items we (3) ordered, one of the first courses came by the end of main course.
Prices are high compared to level of experience
Hopefully this will be reaching the owner soon

• Visited March 2013
San Diego, California
“Lunch visit - Good food, good service”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Several business colleagues and I were brought here on a business lunch by the manager of a large local company. Service was friendly and prompt, and the food was uniformly great. We've spent plenty of time in Haifa and have eaten at a number of restaurants, and this is one of the better meals we've had. Fresh ingredients, well-prepared, authentic local fare, generous servings. The place itself is very casual with big windows overlooking the water. We were there for early lunch on a Sunday and business was slow, so I can't speak to what it would be like when it was busy, but we received very attentive service. Our host treated us so I can't comment on the prices. But with those caveats I can confidently recommend Maxim for a good casual meal.

• Visited February 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Don't waste your time or money”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

This is a "famous" restaurant on the way out of Haifa in a gas station on the coast. It's fame comes mainly from a fatal suicide bombing in 2003, but it's also a well known establishment.

I accidentally got there with my family in February 2013, while we were looking for Abu Yuseph and the GPS (waze) pointed us to the wrong place. So with three cars following, we just stopped at Maxim, even though I had figured it would be an over-touristy overpriced joint.

It was exponentially worse than I expected. To start with, the prices were ridiculous for a standard Middle Eastern/Arab style "meat-on-a-stick" restaurant. They actually charge 26 shekels per person for the traditional spread of salads, IN ADDITION to the expensive price per skewer of meat. For example, to order two skewers of chicken (pargiyot) with a spread of salads on the table, it was about 86 shekels, and this does not include Humus. In fact, the 60 shekels for the meat only includes one side of french fries or majadra (rice with lentils).

Second, the service was terrible, and even embarrassing. For example, I was almost surprised when I noticed that the table next to us had really "nice looking" french fries, which are uncommon at this type of restaurant. I couldn't understand why the fries we ordered were standard, industrial fries, so I asked the waiter. At first, he played dumb, but when I pointed to the leftovers at the next table, he spilled his guts, telling me that they ran out of the real ones, so they served us frozen ones from a package ("TapuGan"). They still charged full price, of course. In addition, we were celebrating my mother-in-law's birthday, and asked for acknowledgement during desert. They completely forgot, and then blamed us for not ordering a big desert, as we were leaving the place.

Finally, at almost every restaurant like this in Israel, you are served complementary black coffee or tea with mint at the end of your meal, plus a few pieces of baklava. Don't expect anything free at Maxim, because even tea with a few leaves in it will cost you 10 shekels or more.

In all, the food was well below average, the prices were ridiculous, the service was terrible, and I can't for the life of me understand why so many people go to this restaurant.

• Visited February 2013