“Really friendly welcoming team but hotel itself is very tired”

Jerusalem Meridian Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Jerusalem Meridian Hotel
Ranked #89 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business with three colleagues for 11 nights in June.

It was very cheap - just $90 USD a night, with the 7th night free.
Included in the price was free WIFI which was fast and mostly reliable (we had a glitch on one evening but that was all), and breakfast.
The breakfast was very basic. Most days it included pitta, hummus, salad, watermelon, cold boiled eggs and blancmange, squash, tea and coffee. There were also some radio active looking corn flakes which tasted a bit cheesy?

The rooms were spacious with a fridge, air con and seating.
My room had a bath with shower over it. It was surprisingly powerful with reliable hot water.
The decor is dated, and the furniture is very tired indeed.
The undersides of the chairs and bed were tattered and I'm pretty sure there had been mice at some point. I found some droppings in my room but couldn't tell if they were old or new as the cleaning was so sketchy.
The carpet was also very old and stained.
The cleanliness was pretty poor.
Although the room was serviced most days the bedding wasn't changed the whole time I was there, and had some dubious marks on it. And the surfaces were not thoroughly cleaned.

The hotel facilities were also not exactly as advertised.
The restaurant wasn't open at all while we were there and looked as if it hadn't been for a very long time. So there was nowhere in the hotel to get food except at breakfast.
There was no mini bar.
And although there was a self laundry the machines were not working during our stay.
The business suite had a computer and printer. It was old but seemed serviceable.

I might be wrong but when you come here you get the impression that this is a fading glory.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a family business in which the children of the family had taken over. They are all young and very welcoming and enthusiastic, but don't seem to have a handle on things that are so fundamental to securing returning custom.
If they are reading this I hope they will take this advice and focus on cleanliness as a priority.
People can forgive old furnishings if they are clean.
Breakfast could also use an overhaul. Fresh fruit, cereal and bread would be a real improvement.

Just a few notes about the area:
The hotel is really well located just a 15 minute walk from the Old City in one direction, and 10 minutes from DFID and the OQR office in the other.
I appreciate that the situation in the region can change quickly but I have to disagree with comments made by others about feeling unsafe in the area. This wasn't my experience at all. We went out at night and felt safe and didn't receive any unwanted attention from locals. We felt welcome and didn't feel disapproved of or threatened in any way.
There are some good restaurants in the area but these are mostly within hotels so I can understand why some reviewers may have missed them. Try the Al Watani at The National Hotel, The Philapelphia or The Azzahra.

I hope that this review is helpful and genuinely wish the Meridian team all the best in the future.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've stayed at the JM on a few occasions now. It's well located for Jerusalem's sights, and the reception staff are friendly and responsive. However, the Meridian's interior is tired and, in some places, dirty, although beds are comfortable.

It's inexcusable for a hotel, however, to not have a restaurant, and it's unacceptable that a consistently poor and unappetising breakfast has to be chased each morning. What eventually appears looks tired (brown lettuce anyone?), and the choice is limited.

The Meridian is best avoided.

Room Tip: Away from the air conditioning plant at the rear. Ask for a high room on the side.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 12345Traveller
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I did not stay here 3 nights May 2014. I endured 3 nights! Had to stay here because of business booking, but regretted every day, why I didn't check out the moment I met the Sunday morning receptionist (in his slippers, and fast asleep), and saw the faded sign that said "Club suites."

Top 3 things that are problematic:
A. The hotel is too, too old, and shows signs of wear and disrepair everywhere
B. The breakfast is disgraceful. Breakfast in the Middle East is a highlight of the day. After seeing (or avoiding) the breakfast buffet, which is stale, dirty and cheap, you may never want to have breakfast for a 1000 Arabian nights. (Please change your corn flakes at least. These are easily the most unpleasant corn flakes in the whole world!)
C. The venue. Can't do anything about this, unless you have ready access to your own car/taxi. It is just too far to walk more than one to the Old City. Takes +10 minutes at a brisk pace to reach the old city gate, and +20 minutes to reach the Al Aqsa mosque.

The only positive is the very energetic, chirpy and experienced part-time front desk receptionist Lydia. The whole experience needs to be upgraded to her standard.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for a week. It is not the best standard but it's okay. They have a small gym and a nice restaurant. I say its a 2.5 stars out of 5. The hotel is about 15 min walk to the old town. The area around the hotel felt safe.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Although close to the old city and an easy walk the hotel is in an Arab district with absolutely nothing nearby besides a few retail stores which were all closed and a few men loitering on the streets.
It did not feel safe and we chose to forgo the money paid for the room and go find another hotel.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I'm normally the person in our family who books the holiday accommodation but our trip to Jerusalem was very much my husband's idea so I let him get on with it this time. After staying in the Jerusalem Meridian I have now had to promise our 3 children (17, 14 and 11) that I will revert to booking the hotels in future.
This place is, as other reviews have stated, faded, tired and dated. The whole place needs a major redesign, from the filthy threadbare carpets to the ghastly rag-rolled peach walls. The breakfast is appalling, unless humous and salad in a gloomy basement is your idea of a good time.
We stayed in an apartment on the 4th floor which was spacious and clean but I woke up every morning with back ache from the cheap, uncomfortable bed and the sofa in the lounge area was so badly stained and greasy I didn't want to risk sitting on it. The shower leaked and needed to be treated for lime scale build-up. On the plus side the staff are all friendly and helpful.
The surrounding area is not great either, although the 10 minute walk to the old city was handy, my (modestly dressed) teenage daughter had to run the gauntlet of disapproving Muslim women and very unsubtle young men making insulting remarks and offering goodness knows what services. On the rare occasion my daughter and I ventured out alone the attention took a distinctly sinister turn. It's a shame because the trip itself was fascinating and Jerusalem is a holiday destination not to be missed. One day I hope to return, but next time I'll pay the extra and stay in the King David.

Room Tip: If you must stay here book an apartment, then at least you can prepare your own food to replace the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2012 via mobile

A really family feel to this straightforward hotel. Exceptionally friendly staff, always eager to help. For longer stays the appartments are clean, generous size and functional. Just a shame it doesn't seem to score as many tour groups as its neighbours, but it does mean it is usually quite peaceful, apart from the slightly noisy road. Hope the restaurant reopens properly soon.

• Stayed: September 2012