“Rooms clean and recently renovated, in great location but other places much better for price”
Review of Holy Land Hotel

Holy Land Hotel
Ranked #59 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 28 December 2013

To begin with we stayed over Christmas and paid £90 a night - I think if it were more reasonably priced I would give a better rating.

The rooms are very clean and quite nice as have been recently redone. The view was amazing - of the dome of the rock. Location wise it's a 3 min walk to the old city.

Cons were the rest of the hotel is a bit run down, breakfast was terrible, it's right next to a mosque so the call to prayer at 4.30am wakes you up and lasts 30 mins. The cleaners knocked on our door three times between 7am and 8am to see if we had checked out ( check out is at noon).It's in east jerusalem so it's the Muslim area so very loud etc.

Overall I would say it's not good value for the price we paid, but perhaps at a different time of year the cheaper price would justify it.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Iheartactuaries

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 11 December 2013

In the year 2007, in the end of summer, I travelled with my wife to Israel, through the voyager's agency, called"Benevolence" pertaining to our orthodox church "Ascension", which is located in the strict center of Belgrade, Serbia. There were about thirty people of us, who showed very strong interest to perceive and feel all the places, connected with the life of Jesus Christ.
We had a flight from Belgrade, across the Larnaka, on island of Cyprus, and landed after a three hours on Ben-Gurion Airport in Tel -Aviv. After all the necessary procedure on the airport, we proceeded to the Jerusalem,with the comfortable izraelis bus. Our agency booked the very nice hotel in the eastern part of Jerusalem, in Harun - Al -Rashid street, called Holy Land Hotel.
It overlooks the Jerusalem's Old City and is located near the historic walls. From this hotel, You have got a pleasant walk to the most important religious sites, as the Temple Mount, the Al Aqsa Mosque and the Western Wall. Also, the Damascus Gate is not far from hotel, only a five minutes walk.
The hotel has free parking, free WI-FI and very nice and comfortable ensuite rooms. In the very cosy restaurant, You can taste the delicious international cuisine.
The rooms are very pleasant, very well decorated and carpeted and with light -wood furniture.
The air conditioning and a cable TV are present in every room.
If You are lucky, after You get the key, You may enjoy some great unique view of the Old City, like the Golden Dome of the Rock, Old City Walls, Mount of Olives, Mount of Scopus, and Rockfeller's Garden, that are located, immediately east from the Hotel.
In hotel governs a very hospitable atmosphere, with the staff, always willing to help and be at service to the guests.
We were pretty content at our very beginning of sojourn in Jerusalem, Holy City, and generally in Holy Land of Israel.

Room Tip: All are very good, just enjoy.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed at the Holy Land Hotel with a tour group in January 2013. It snowed during our stay and the city basically shut down for a day. Since snow is so rare in Jerusalem, adequate tools for snow removal were not available (we saw some men trying to shovel snow near the Western Wall, using a half sheet of plywood - back breaking!) So beware of slippery steps if it should happen to snow. We did have a great view out our window of the Dome of the Rock and city wall, and walking into the Old City was easy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Old City, if you want the view described.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Em H
Lookout Mountain, TN
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is an extremely comfortable hotel with newly refurbished rooms. The new rooms and bath are bright and sunny. Because the hotel sits back from the road a bit, it is quieter yet still in a bustling neighborhood of locals. The location could not be better. Holy Land Hotel is across the street from Herod's Gate and very close to the Damascus Gate to the Old City of Jerusalem. It is very easy to come and go, visiting numerous sites and vendors in the Old City. I also loved the quick walk to anything I needed...the bus station, restaurants, pharmacy, churches, gift shops etc. This is a very safe neighborhood and I never felt uncomfortable walking around alone.

I do like a clean hotel and the cleanliness here is excellent. Housekeeping was great and they often asked if I needed anything else. The staff was kind and very helpful. I highly recommend this hotel in East Jerusalem, across from the Old City. When reading other reviews, check the date to see if they were written before or after the renovations. I have stayed here two times alone and then also with a group. Without a doubt, I will stay here in the future.

Room Tip: On one occasion I had a room with an amazing view of the Dome of the Rock. It is beautiful, particul...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank lynnvineslantz
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I visited Jerusalem again in June, 2013 as a solo traveler. I did not book a tour this time because I wanted to spend as much time at the holy sites as I wanted. The pros of this hotel are that the rooms are clean, the hotel staff are very accommodating and friendly and the free breakfast was good with a variety of selections that included American fare and Israeli fare. When I took a cab from Tel Aviv airport I did not ask for or negotiate the price, so the cab fare was expensive ( around $150 )..If you do not mind taking a shuttle with other travelers and you have the time, take NESHER transportation. The shuttle buses are right outside the arrivals at the Tel Aviv airport and you pay the driver, which is about $10. The only negative thing about it is you might be the last person they drop off in Jerusalem. I knew of the Nesher shuttle before I arrived, but chose a cab because I was tired from the long flight. Anyway, if you take the cab, please ask the driver the price and talk him down, if you walk away, they maybe will agree to your price ( make it reasonable though). the holy land hotel was terrific for a three star hotel and the location was a 5 minute walk to Damascus gate of the Old city, however the hotel is in an area that looks economically depressed . It is in an Arab neighborhood. My cab driver refused to take me directly to this hotel, so he dropped me off two blocks away. It is because Palestinian and Arab youth throw rocks at Jewish cab driver`s cabs. It is not a good idea to walk in this neighborhood at night. It is not well lit and I was accosted two times by youth wanting me to go for a "ride" in their car. When I refused , one youth asked me to give him my passport number. Of course I didn`t, and it was a little unsettling. This was really the only hotel that I could find that was so close to the old city. I have no complaints at all about this hotel. I think if you are with another person or in a group, you would be fine. I would for sure stay here again, but if I am traveling alone, I will be more careful and aware of my surroundings. I think I could pass for being Arab, but what gave me away was my American attire....shorts and flip flops. The youths wear tight fitting jeans and sneakers, even when it`s very hot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the dome of the rock. I did and it was a fantastic view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Azaria W
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Having just completed a pilgrimage to Israel would recommend Holy Land Hotel Jerusalem for pilgrims to the Holy Land. The hotel is good value. The hotel is being renovated to improve the quality of the hotel. We had a renovated room with double bed, adequate cupboard space, plenty plug points, good toilet and shower facilities with hair dryer.
The dining room provided good buffet meals and has a coffee shop/bar. Wi-Fi is available free in the hotel.
The hotel is situated just outside the old city very close to Herod's Gate and Damascus Gate within a few minutes walk to enjoy the religious sites, shopping and the general atmosphere of the old city of Jerusalem.

Room Tip: The hotel is in the city of Jerusalem with no special "views" at all . There is therefore...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Neil B
Sentosa Island, Singapore
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel as part of my trip to Saudi Arabia with my children 7 yrs old and 4 months old back than, actually i would rather called it a lodge. The hotel
lobby was not that huge as we arrived in a big group. One 40seater coach. One good thing is that its about 20mins walking distance to the Dome of the rock and the Holy Mosque.
The saddest part, the lift can fit only exactly 3 to 4 persons, my body size. Mind you! Just imagine, i came in a big group, most elderly, how long will it take for you to get to your room? Little reminder, ask for the lowest level.
The room is not sound proof.
Anyway if you are there as part of a religious congregations or visiting the holy land, all these luxuries is just secondary, most importantly, we need a lot of blessings. May God bless us all.

• Stayed October 2012