“Good location with everything else going wrong”
Review of Legacy Hotel

Legacy Hotel
Ranked #57 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I paid extra money for an executive room with a balcony for 3 people as I was travelling with my father and sister. Upon arrival the reception was really nice and told me he gave me a quiet room (room 320), When I opened the door, we were quite impressed with the size of the room, however the room that I booked was an executive room for 3 people with a balcony and a 37 in LCD TV. There should also be a separate lounge, but I did not get the room I booked for. The room had a very foul smell and there were flies flying all over the room and bathroom, the window and bath was very filthy. All in all it was impossible to stay in the room although it looked nice.

My sister and I went to reception to inform them about the room but the reception kept telling us all rooms were taken and that is the only room they have left. I even showed them the copy of my booking and they refused to listen and said I have booked too late. I booked the place 2 weeks before my travel and they still have some rooms left. I insisted that I wanted to speak to the manager, however the reception staff could not be bothered to call the manager. I and my sister would not move and told the staff that until the manager comes and speak to me I will not leave the reception. When we were waiting for the manager, there were 2 females who had also booked to stay at Legacy where the hotel took their money without giving them a room and told them to find a room somewhere else.

When the manager arrived, he tried to say that I have written all the room details and I had to proof to him that it is on the hotel website on hotels.com and also to inform him what I have booked and the amount I paid for was very high. He then offered us a free dinner at the palms garden restaurant and the staff refused to serve us and told us all the food in the restaurant is sold out. We had to call the manager and only then the staff served us with the food. when I had a shower in the evening, there was water on the floor of the bathroom and initially I thought it was the shower curtain not drawn properly. The next morning, when we had a shower, the whole bathroom was flooded with water and you could not even stand in the bathroom. I called for someone to check on the leakage but the reception staff blamed it on me and we had to prove to him by running the water on the tap and the bathroom floor started to leak. They did nothing about it.

Fortunately we only stayed in the hotel for one night. My verdict of the hotel is the breakfast was excellent in a good location but everything else is sub-standard and the service was unacceptable.

Room Tip: Ensure before you go you have confirmed the room you asked for.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Leela M

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights as a family. The hotel's location was excellent, within close walking distance of the old city Damascus gate. Compared to other hotels in the vicinity, this hotel provided excellent service! Upon arrival we were given a lovely fruit plate in the room, toiletry amenities were refilled daily. The hotel's restaurant was wonderful and able to provide me with cuisine made to exact specifications. Breakfast was done well, with a wide variety of different food types and Aref was exceptionally friendly. At reception Samer was not only professional, efficient and friendly, but very helpful to go out of his way in arranging and dealing with problems on behalf of us. The gym is a little outdated, other than that we felt very safe and happy at the Legacy and the hotel will definitely be seeing us again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 303MARY
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Compared to other hotels in this class it is simply OK. It has a good location if one wants proximity to the Old City. It was clean but the bathroom drains emitted a foul smell and one of the "clean" towels had blood caked on it. The breakfast was good. It is an Arab hotel and therefore not kosher so the food was more what Americans would expect.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Legacy is located less than a 10-minute walk from the Damascus Gate into the Old City - for the price it is probably one of the best-value for its location. That said, rooms are pretty small, bathrooms are tiny, and the service is pretty nonexistent-that is, there are plenty of employees who will watch you drag your enormous suitcase up and down the staircase outside to the front door without even a thought at assisting. There's also not a lot of insulation so if you plan to sleep anytime between 8am and 10pm, be prepared for slamming doors and the staff yelling at each other down the hallways.

The surrounding neighborhood leaves a bit to be desired, but as a solo female traveler I felt fine walking to and from Damascus gate - and check out the American Colony Hotel in the direction away from the Old City for a nice lunch or dinner in their courtyard. All in all it was fine for two nights in my attempt to be relatively cheap, but my next trip back to Jerusalem I'll look for a better option.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank annielou82
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Television doesn't work and no hair dryer and sub standard in every way except good breakfast and dining room
I would not recommend it
This old YMCA is definitely still one
The staff tries to help but needs better training
The car parking is free and their is surveillance
It is a shabby old hotel
We won't return

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rxnutt
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The hotel is okay, there is nothing really wrong with it, but for the price you could expect something better. I agree with previous reviewers that the location is a bit disappointing, it is nearby the old town, but don't expect a lively neighbourhood, it is rather a dusty non-discriptive place which could be anywhere in the world.
The rooms are okay. A bit on the smaller side, and so is the bathroom. The hotel is a former YMCA and that shows. It was comfortable enough but for the price you would expect something better (but Jerusalem is an expensive place).
This having said the restaurant is great and good value. The lemon chicken skewers are highly recommended. The distant view on Old Jerusalem (Dome of the Rock, Curch of the Holy Sepulchre) is unprecedented. The staff (hotel and restaurant) are friendly, helpfull and courtious.
I would return but would still check if I could get a better offer for the price I pay.

Room Tip: My colleague stayed in room 416 and complained alot about the traffic noice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Great hotel very close to Damascus Gate and the Garden Tomb (5 minutes). Parking opposite to the hotel included. Very friendly and helpful staff, a big thank you to Rana who made our stay very enjoyable. Good price for the quality offered. We enjoyed very much the roof top restaurant for our evenings.
The hotel is well renovated, however bathrooms were made with cheap material which does not age well. It would need a refurbishment soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family