“Lowest price in city (rooftop)”

Citadel Youth Hostel
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Fast internet. High safety. Location is perfect. The rooftop is excellent at night though it provides no shade during the day, they could do well to add a screen. The lounge areas in the back are a perfect place to spend the day resting. You are directly in the center of Old Coty. Location wise there is no better place. My only complaint is unlike Old Jaffa Hostel in Tel Aviv, there is no shade for the roofers.

Stayed: July 2014
There are newer reviews for Citadel Youth Hostel

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The hostel has a very nice location in the Old City of Jerusalem, and a great view from the roof. Apart from that, there is not so much positive things I can say. It was fairly clean also, but an ugly smell from the bathrooms. Our room was situated in the stairway, very small and a view of the stairway through the windows. There was no toilet paper in the room so I told the woman at the desk. "No problem, we will send you some". Half an hour later I went to ask again. New guy at the desk who said that he didn't know where they keep the toilet paper. We were supposed to stay two nights, but changed our minds after the first night. Let them keep the deposit and moved to a hostel in Jaffa street. Less expensive, twice the size, better wifi, toilet paper and nicer staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tove L
Reviewed 12 July 2014

To this day I am still very puzzled as to how Citadel Youth Hostel is number one on hostelworld.

That said, hostels have been my accommodation of choice over the past 5 years on my travels so I have had my fair share of terrible hostels - this would fit snuggly at the bottom fo my list.

The bathrooms are HORRENDOUS. We often wondered if anyone ever cleaned the place. Service-wise: one of the receptionist is pretty helpful but the rest were not impressionable.

There was no WIFI in our room - which is a huge minus because the common area was very small. Common area reminded us very much of the grottos we visited during the trip.

I must say however that the location is fantastic. Building fits authentically in the Armenian quarter, and it is 5 minutes walk from Jaffa gate - we often had to find respite in Aroma cafe just outside Jaffa gate three times a day with our aroma diet iced coffee. Atmosphere there was much cleaner, more pleasant and there is WIFI.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jstatraveller
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This has to be the best hostel in Jerusalem. In the Armenian quarter, close to most famous landmarks, the building is built from old, old stone giving an ancient, cave like effect in keeping with the rest of the Old City.

There is an option to stay on the roof with mattresses, pillows and blankets which are provided. For just 50 shekels per night you go to sleep and wake with one of the most beautiful views of this Ancient City. I found the sunrises and sunsets over the dome of the rock from the rooftop to be something I will never forget. I saw the dormitories which look comfortable and cosy for the price. Jerusalem is an expensive city so for the location and what you get the price is great.

--Facilities--

Bathrooms and toilets are available regardless if you sleep on the roof or in dorms.
There is a comfy lounge area you can sit to read or work on your laptop.
Wifi is available for free and is very fast, there is also a fast PC with widescreen monitor if you don't have an internet capable device with you.

---Location--

Right in the heart of the Old City all the famous landmarks are easily accessible and in within walking distance. Western Wall, Dome Of The Rock, Western Tunnels, just about everything you could want to go to is within reach.

Room Tip: Rooftop is a great choice if you want to save on money.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Samuel R
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My first few nights in a private room were good, that was the only positive to my stay. Then I moved to a dorm room. Every night I don't get more than a few hours of sleep. People in the room were disrespectful of others, coming in past midnignt drunk and loud and people down the hallways were noisy. There should be someone to monitor the noise at certain hours. Also, I was there for over 2 weeks, and there was never complimentary coffee or tea available as it says on all
the signs. So, make sure to bring some if you stay. Laundry service was pricy, 50 shekels for a wash dry and fold. I guess they left out the fold part when they did mine. There was never toilet paper in the stalls, don't forget to bring some. The only other positive was the night gentleman Adam who was nothing but helpful throughout the stay.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This hostel is pretty good, very centralized in old city, they have a good staff. But the negative point for me are the bathrooms, are horrible, too small and non functional. I spent a night sleeping in the roof and was awesome, a bit cold and few noises from the churches, even at night.

Room Tip: The roof is nice but can be cold and noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank WilliamCGarcia
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed several nights in a private room which was little more than a cupboard but clean, although the sheets were not changed throughout my stay. I would say that the private rooms could be a little better value for money. I extended my stay by a couple of nights and subsequently spent the night in a dormitory before sleeping on the roof on the final night. Both of these options were clean and cheap (the roof being the cheapest option)

Because of the poor wifi signal everyone tends to sit in the main reception room from 6 in the morning like Buddha's. This can be a little frustrating when looking to get a signal yourself because quite often seating space has been taken.

There are a couple of places for having an afternoon nap outside the dormitories which was a nice touch. After a long morning walking around Jerusalem's sights it was welcoming to spread out for an hour or two before heading out again.

The location is fantastic (near Jaffa gate) - in the old town but not so far in the old town that you need to lug your luggage through the heart of the old city

The bathrooms were a little bit basic but clean which is understandable given the fact that the building was clearly very old.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo