“Great Location - Basic Hostel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Jaffa Gate Hostel

Jaffa Gate Hostel
Hamburg, Germany
“Great Location - Basic Hostel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

The location of the Jaffa Gate Hostel is really good and to explore the city I can highly recommend this small family owned place.
From time to time, they have some problems with insects, but nothing serious and I'd rather stay there again and walk all my way throughout Jerusalem, then stay in a nother place.
I have been there twice now and I would come for a third time for sure!
Furthermore the place is really safe which is important when you stay on your own.
From the roof you can see the Al-Aqusa mosque and have a nice view over the city.

I was lucky to meet Josef, a fantastic palestinien Guide just in front of the hotel. We made an arrangement for a whole day tour and I can tell you, he is the best!!
If you can find him, don't make a tour with any other one. He speeks at least 6 languages and has the heart at the right place and knows his city by heart!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank superlumidee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Great place to stay! The best thing about this hostel is that the staff who run it are incredibly helpful and informative, It's a very good location when you're on a short city trip needing just a nice place to sleep without any luxury facilities. I'll definitely recommend the hostel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Lisa M
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I loved staying here! I stayed in the female dorm and the room was simple but nice. Remember this area is older so it is what it is but has its own unique charm with exposed rock in different areas which I absolutely loved. There were a couple common areas and places to sit around outside. I was able to use wifi from the common areas as well as from my room. I would stay there again. I always wear flip flops in a hostel shower so was not bothered by the older bathrooms and I had earplugs but the other travelers were always quiet so noise was never a problem. I had a chance to meet and talk with other travelers and when the staff was not busy they were always hospitable. I was close to many areas and felt safe here and as a single female traveler that is important to me. The staff was kind and helpful.

Room Tip: Dorms are the best price and basic but I was impressed with some of the other rooms and would not mi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SandyBellaGirl
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

This place is in the most perfect location imaginable, and cheap for the area. Some rooms are gorgeous, some are lacking, but they make up for it by price and helpfulness. It's quiet, with a great view of the city from the roof, and the staff are ready to help you with anything you need. I live in neighboring Amman, and stay here every time I come to visit Jerusalem.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank pilar813
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Jaffa Gate hostel is the strike for your stay in Jerusalem. Offers excellent location with spectacular view of the town from it's roof terrace, located in the hearth of the historical city, right next to the David tower. The people running the place are very very nice and helpful. It is modest but cozy and I strongly recommend this place, it worth the price and makes your stay comfortable. You have all the basic facilities needed for a pleasant stay. Go book it! ;)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor so you could wake up with the view of the city
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Location great! View fantastic! Staff was super friendly and accommodated us in any way that they could. Dorms are okay, better than I expected from previous reviews, but still basic and a little run down (what else can you expect from one of the oldest most iconic cities in the world. As this is not a new development, things are not going to be new...) for the budget traveller you pay for what you get. Nothing more, but internet and a nice view maybe, nothing less :-)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ruan C
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed in the female 3 bed. I was stuck at the airport for 6 hours and I called them to let them know I wouldn't be checking in on time and they were VERY accommodating and left me a key outside for me to let myself in.This literally saved me from sleeping God knows where. Their friendliness and helpfulness is 5 star. However the place could do with redecorating or something. It was not the most comfortable stay and the cleanliness is not the best. The location is great however I would not be back unless I was super desperate or on a tight budget.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo