“Jerry was an excellent and knowledgeable tour guide”

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Ranked #55 of 273 Tours in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Rain or shine, a free tour starts at 11:00 & 14:00 every day.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The tour started at the Jaffa gate. We walked through all four quarters of the old city, as well as the Cardo (the main street in ancient Roman cities). Jerry - our tour guide, historian and archaeologist - was so knowledgeable and answered any questions with immense detail. He talked through the vast and diverse history of Jerusalem, including the Western Wall, Dome of the Rock, Al-Aqsa mosque, Church of the Holy Sepulchre and the history of the Temple Mount. We had a break halfway through the tour for refreshments if needed. The tour was a couple of hours long and very thorough. It can be very busy in the old city so I advise people to stay close to the tour guide in order not to lose them between destinations, although they do try and make sure everyone is with them. I have done a few Sandeman walking tours in Europe and they have all been excellent. Will definitely be using them again and recommending this tour to friends and family.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,183)
All reviews
in 101 reviews
"four hours"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My boyfriend and I took the paid four hour Holy City tour this Sunday. For some background, I am a big fan of free walking tours and have taken Sandeman’s free tours in many different cities, but because Jerusalem is so rich in history I wanted something more in depth and so chose to opt for the paid one, which cost 120 shekels per person. Not usually something I do, and after this tour, not something I’d do again.

The good: The tour did what it needed to do. It’s nice being taken from place to place by a guide rather than constantly have my phone out to check google maps for directions. The guide knew his stuff and was helpful in answering questions and explaining what it was we were looking at. That’s really important for a place like Jerusalem, unless you’ve really read up on every famous site in advance. I did feel like I was given a comprehensive look at the Old City and saw the important sites, which is what I was looking for.

The bad: First of all, Sandeman’s free walking tour starts at the same time as their paid walking tour, and meets in the same place. This just leads to chaos and I don’t understand why it’s arranged this way. They hand out receipts if you’ve paid for the longer tour, but don’t actually check them once the group is formed so really anyone could have joined, paid or not. Secondly, considering that you pay 30 euros to take this tour, there are way too many people assigned to a single group. Jerusalem’s Old City has so many narrow and crowded streets that it was nearly impossible for the group to stay together, and our guide was not particularly skillful in making sure everyone had caught up before moving on. The group size was no smaller than they are for free walking tours, and this was disappointing to me.
Additionally, our guide was just uninspiring. He was not very personable and didn’t speak about the city in an engaging, passionate way. Though he knew a lot of information, his presentation was dry and monotone. His group management skills and public speaking ability were just not up to par for a tour guide. Honestly I’ve never had a guide like that in any of the free tours I’ve taken in the past. The tour came in at just under four hours, and I was left feeling like something that could have been so fascinating was instead just very average.

I’m sure there are better guides on other days, but it’s luck of the draw who you get, and not something I’d risk again. In the future, I will stick with free tours where I can tip the guide based on his/her performance.

2  Thank Colleen0307
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I took a tour of old Jerusalem on Saturday May 19th.
The tour was informative and our guide sweet but we couldn’t listen to her, she constantly forgot to use it and honestly I should say that Sandemand need to invest in audio system for all tour participants!
The tour was 5 hrs , the young guide has potential but needs to prepare herself better with more historic and religion information, group management and presentation skills. The place where she stopped to eat didn’t look very clean and neither the food fresh.

1  Thank tessyperu