“Horrible even for that price !!!”

and 1 more site!
New Palm Hotel & Hostel
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Horrible even for that price !!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I was there in March for 2 days ... and two days too long. We booked private rooms for 10 people but unfortunately only 4 of us went to them rooms .. the rest was moved to dormitories! First night I spent with my friend with double bed room. The room was dirty and very cold. We had some rainfalls in that time and during the night our room was flooded! The water was coming from the room next door and also leaking from the ceiling directly to our bed ! There was no refund for this horrible conditions.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank MAREK R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Cologne, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Never ever again!
They say that the hostel is even worse but it is hard to believe because the hotel was really a crappy place
A room with a view of the pavement, very little space and no wardrobe and facilities such as hangers
The bathroom was dirty and moldy with a hole in the floor where water was supposed to drain
Do not go there choose a different place in Jerusalem

Room Tip: Sleep in the corridor it looks better than hotel rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank beata r

Travellers are raving about these Jerusalem hotels

Nice, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

This hotel was the worst experience we have ever had ! We booked for 7 people (2 double room for couples and a triple for parents and son) and we paid 280 dollars for 3 nights for the double and a little more for the triple which was WAY TO EXPENSIVE for what we got. The rooms were very very small, just enough space for the bed and nothing else, the walls were all moldy, rotten as well as the ceiling, the bathroom was more like a very dirty toilet with a hole on the floor (with lots of hair on it) and they called that the shower ! The linen were full of spots. There were no windows at all !!! It was all dirty on floor, I think nobody has cleaned for a while. And it was the same in the 2 other rooms !! All the rooms were sticking really. I am quite use to very simple hostels but this one is just cheating. It was impossible to take a shower (unless you want to touch the moldy walls and step on big balls of mold! It was very difficult to breathe without any window and lots of humidity. The place is very noisy as well ! And on the mornings the breakfast was very minimal and the tables were all dirty and if you arrive after 8 am there is nothing left. We finally left for another hotel although we had paid. They didn't accept to reimburse a penny. THE WORST EXPERIENCE of hotel ever. Avoid if you want to spend a pleasant stay in Jerusalem ! We then went to another hotel (Imperial) where we paid less (90 dollars a night) for the double room than at New Palm Hotel and all was good. But the time, money and the 2 nights (impossible to sleep!) we lost will never come back. Bad start of holidays with this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank RJ D
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

I booked a single room for five nights but when i arrived there was no single room only a room with eight beds.There was a congress and they overbooked the rooms. When i said that i want a single room they offer a very small room without a window with only a matrass on the floor. After two nights i could have a normal single room.I don't accept it and want to leave. Then they were angry and would money. I don't give them any money and leave as soon as possible. DON'T GO TO THIS HOSTEL. They are UNRELIABLE and only want your money.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
12 Thank Frits S
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed at this hostel after the hostel in which I had made a reservation (Petra Hostel) said they were full (in my view, had deliberately overbooked) and transferred (sold?) five of us to the New Palm Hotel. We were immediately confronted by the manager who was aggressive and rude - yelling at a group of older (senior citizen) travelers and threatening to throw them out on the street if they didn't obey him (eg. agree to stay for a longer period of time, subject to a "no refund; pay in advance" policy). All in all, we were all desperate to end our ordeal (which admittedly began long before we arrived at the New Palm) and eventually the manager calmed down.

I stayed in the "hostel" part of the establishment and it was filthy. My room had no window to speak of and when I was given it initially still had dirty sheets. The toilets and showers were too few for the number of guests, didn't give hot water at times, and were in all honesty the dirtiest toilets and showers that I have ever seen.

The breakfast is heaped on a table and is very basic and a lot of the people staying there seem quite unhappy. Admittedly, the "hotel" side of the establishment looks a lot cleaner and newer - but still not a very happy place (in my view).

I stayed one night and would never stay there again or recommend it. When I asked to leave my luggage, the manager initially refused and then buried it under cans of paint and a drop cloth behind the bar in the common area (which is typical of how the common area was decorated).

I wish I could say something nicer about this place. At times, the manager was nice - though never really friendly. But these moments were too few and the rest of the staff was at best indifferent. Staying at this place almost ruined my trip to Jerusalem.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank Martin J
Oldenburg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Time of Stay:July / August 2010. About 2 weeks with discontinuations.

What I expected: A nice and friendly hostel, cozy with places to hang out with other travelers, to have a chat and a drink over the experiences we have made during the day. The price per night is pretty cheap so I did expect a decent hostel with decent cleaniness standards.

What I got: Nice, friendly and helpful stuff. If I or my companions needed any assistance, new linen (because they “forgot” to exchange them) or anything else they helped out and did their job. Of course some things you can usually expect without asking but this is not the case all the time (especially during Ramadan the staff was more tired and sleepy during the day, but that is understandable).

Since I stayed a couple of nights I could bargain the room price, this was part of the charm.
The New Palm Hotel and Hostel is divided in two parts, where I usually stayed in the Hotel part, but for the price some others paid in the hostel part.
The "hotel" is much cleaner and nicer since the en-suite bathrooms are not shared with the whole hostel.
The bathrooms and toilets in the hostel part are more or less dirty and you need a little bit sense of humor to use them. When I stayed there one sink (in the toilets) was completely broken and the lights were not working (well that was all the time ;)).

The public areas were really nice and comfortable with lots of cushions, couches and places to hang out and chat with other travelers (inside and outside areas).

During the day the owner turned off the air conditioning (also in rooms without windows) in order to save electricity. You have to push him a little bit to turn them on again, especially if you want to have a nap during the day or you want to escape the outside heat. If you ask the cleaning staff you can even use the laundry machine (don't be shy). There are also 2 (or 3) computer with internet connection. Slow but good enough.

The location was perfect, really close to the Old Town of Jerusalem with the best view on the life of the locals. The entrance(s) of the hotel/hostel are located in a small market area were you can find a lot of local food and sometimes see how the lamb-delivery falls to the ground and no one cares about it getting dirty.

All together I believe that the location of the hostel is a big plus point and if you want to have a better experience make sure you can sleep in the hotel part (also dorms are available there). Don't be shy and bargain about the prices and tell the people if you want to have some changes. Some happen, some don't. But don't worry, if you're relaxed and able to take things as they are you can have the best time in Jerusalem ever. If you have a problem with dirt - never forget your flip-flops. And to be honest, you will be outside most of the time anyhow.

Oh and before I forget. You can book a few tours in the hostel. In our case the driver didn't show up so the hostel owner drove us around. We were stopped by the police one time because he was almost falling asleep when driving (after that we all tried to keep him awake and talk with him) and during the stops he slept in the car. Nvertheless, it was quite an experience and we got back to the hostel all save. (And we haven't lost our humor about it ;))
(To his defense: It was Ramadan and he couldn't eat and drink during the day.
Better: Make only tours if it is not Ramadan ;) ).

As you can see, my votings aren't very high but I hadn't big expectiations and that helped too make it a good experience ;)

If you want to have more comfort and cleanliness in the sleeping / bathroom areas you should chose another place.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room ar the hotel part of the hotel/hostel. If you book in person you can bargai...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank EvaFroehlich
Statesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

i jusr recently returned from my trip to jerusalem israel on oct 22-oct28. and have stayed at the new palm hotel and hostel it has a old history from around the 1930's building awesome place and the staff are so delightful and so warm and sweet people. they are israeli/palestinian people and they love everyone. this hostel is 100% cleaness daily breakfast daily free. coffee tea all free and tv to watch movies. socialize. has a patio you can smoke outside and also staff also offers tours. to different places can book any of them.the rooms are arabic decor on beds very very comforable.i have been so delighted to have been a guest there. Ali i believe was the manager there he treated me like family and said make sure you watch out and be careful, this area is very very safe in israel i have had no trouble with anyone there no robbing or attacks or anything this is the safest country to visit and they are 100% friendly.so if you go there mention my name bobby harris they will remember and i recommend this hostel. i do in my heart think they should be trip adviser member for the hostel. this is a fine place any of you will have no trouble at all this place is also on bus route. and lightrail trains which has only one train is the L1 and goes to mt.herzl and back to the hostel i have done rating on this, and worked on this as hard as i can. i 100% recommend this hostel in place of others that are not as clean as this one is.. this hostel is a fine location and a fine place to be. if you do go plan ahead and book your room as this one does and can get booked up and full by then, one last thing to bring up guest who stay there are friendly and love to chat and meet with others and talk about israel and where they are from try it out you wont be sorry or regret it i had no regrets i love this place and the staff and there is also a palestinian resturant right next door called Al-Ayed resturant great food and things to eat if you eat there please be couteous. if you eat french fries thats english say chips means french fries. they will know what you want.ii had a great time there i would have stayed longer to make a high rating for it overall next time i shall do that. great people i loved being there miss it already and them the staff too. thank you for a memorable stay

Room Tip: if you plan to stay there just be sure to lock your laptop computers in your suitcase or in safe pla...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo