“It's not that bad!”

New Palm Hotel & Hostel
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I'm not sure what people are expecting from such cheap prices & in such a central location, but this is a hostel NOT a hotel. I have travelled extensively & this hostel is basic, but provides what you need for a couple of days. I have stayed in some real cack-holes around the world & this place was absolutely fine. A bed, with clean bedding (I always travel with a lightweight sleeping bag liner anyway), OK it's not bleached & ironed, but come on, this is a budget hostel! I had a fan in the room, which is fine by me, again, we are talking budget here people! The bathroom had a toilet & shower that worked & had hot water, so what more do I need? No bugs/cockroaches, so that's always a bonus. A self-catering kitchen, so you can make your own food/drink if you want. The market is outside, which I loved the fact it is central to life & activity (with a lush falafel cafe nearby). I always have ear-plugs & an eye-mask, so early morning or late night noise isn't an issue. The staff were friendly enough, but they're not there to be my best mate. I had no problems at all at this hostel. If you are a seasoned traveller & particularly if you have experienced India, you'll be more than happy here, it is fine.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank pinkybex

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Dear friends!
I am with some experience in traveling, but I never have not seen it.
On arrival was asked for 80 shekels more than was on booking.com. There were no towels, bed linen bleaching. Room smells after using the toilet. There is no air conditioner, outside was summertime +35C. The window opened to the night market - a big noise all night. Insects - Porcellio scabere- in room. Very cruel, rude and degrading treatment by the owner. Toilet not working ventilation. Internet connection did not work. When I paid money, not give receipts for me.
Location is great but we did not have rest in this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel, please!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Inguna S
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Having stayed here last year I decided on it's better the devil you know. I walked up past the fruit market and to where I knew the receptionist would be (not at reception), he was in his side office. First impressions aren't good with him, he was on his phone and playing Candy Crush Saga. With a decided lack of interest on his part I produce my reservation and then my passport which he casually handles... Eventually I got checked in and I proceeded to pay for my stay. He then showed me to my room which once cleaned was acceptable, the window however is broken which lets in noise from the bus station outside. No air-conditioning is provided.

The hostel has new sofas and the lounge area is less cluttered than my last visit. The kitchen area is minimalistic to say the least although a basic camping gas cooker is available. The water from the cold water tap leaves a slight burning sensation which is slightly worrying. Just outside the kitchen is a seating area where you can eat. There are plenty of two pins sockets to charge appliances which is great. The shower area is basic as are the toilets; however they serve there purpose!

At just over £10 a night it offers good value for money for those travellers unable to afford more luxurious accommodation. My tips for travellers are try and get a room with a non-market facing window. Don't let the owner tell you that you have to pay in dollars or pounds e.t.c; I paid in NIS. Also check the exchange rate as he tried to slightly inflate the price when converting from GBP to NIS. All in all as a bunkhouse it does it's job.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Vedrina
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Although the hostel is very basic, it was a convenient place to stay for such a large group of students. It is not easy to find an affordable hostel for 40 people. Location is perfect and easy accessible by bus. A cute little bakery is just around the corner and is open 24/7, so it is really unnecessary to take breakfast included. Bathrooms were not super dirty, but poorly equipped and the water was very hot. We didn't make use of the kitchen. The common room and the couches were nice and there was free (instant) coffee and tea. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay and don't expect too much, then this is your place. If you're looking for luxury, privacy and cleanliness, go somewhere else. A sheet bag might be a good idea as the thicker blankets are probably not washed after every visit. We paid upon arrival after having a price set in our agreement. No problems whatsoever.

Room Tip: The 6 person bed rooms closest to the entrance are probably the nicest.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nadieh W
Reviewed 3 June 2014

As mentioned in other reviews, the management of this "hostel" prey on the weak, and provide the worst service I've ever had in my life. They try to appeal to (and take advantage of) Palestinian sympathizers by (WRONGLY) claiming that Israel does not allow them to use shekels (Israeli currency) because they are Palestinian, and, therefore, they have to charge jacked up prices (triple the amount I booked the room for) in dollars. This is offensive on all levels. After paying double for what I booked my room for, I come into a dingy, horrible smelling room with sheets with STAINS on them. I left after the first night and strongly encourage (read WARN) others to avoid this miserable excuse for a hostel. This guy just takes advantage of his location and of the people that so greatly desire it. Shame on him and the other miserable people working there.

Room Tip: Just do not choose this place.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Joshua S
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a Palestinian ran hostel. The bottom floor is a produce market but the upper floors a bit cleaner. The room was three single size beds smashed together with a shower room that had a clogged drain. It did have a somewhat clean appearance. The free breakfast was not bad, hard boiled eggs, humus, salsa and bread. The free coffee was instant and not even Nescafé. If you can get this room for under 100 a night, it would be worth it split up by a few people.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank GDGandTBiggs
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

As a frequent traveller, this hostel is the worst so far. From the very first moment you walk into the reception you could tell what kind of hostel it is. The room was dark and filthy. The blanket and the mattress seemed never washed. I was put into a room with a guy who snored terribly. None of us in the room could sleep even we have turned the music loudly. We went to the reception to remind them about our case but they did nothing even though that night the hostel was not full. They could have moved that guy to another empty room so that others could sleep.
Anyway the location is good, it is very close to the Madascus gate which is convenient to access to the old town of Jerusalem

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends