“Not a great experience”

Commodore Hotel Jerusalem
Ranked #58 of 100 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Not a good experience.

I've been on a world tour and my 3 night stay at the Commodore Hotel was very marginal. My first clue things were going to be substandard was when I emailed the Commodore Hotel several days in advance to arrange a shuttle pick-up upon my arrival at Ben Gurion Airport and I received no reply. When I showed up a very friendly woman went through the usual details of checking me in and sent me on my way to my room. My room was adequate but I wouldn't consider it 'modern' as other commenters have. There were two single beds and the one I slept in was comfortable. The bathroom was lacking in terms of toiletries and housekeeping never replenished the towels I used, just removed them even though I was tipping the standard every day. There was no English language Israeli TV (JN1) news available for selection although there were two good US movie channels. The most annoying part about the room was this motion sensor timer system they have employed (I imagine it's to save wasteful power when no one is in the room but had forgot to turn things off). Having to turn the TV on every 20 minutes (or set the timer on my iPhone) was nothing short of maddening. Also I discovered that the safe in my room was already locked and of course, I couldn't use it. So I went to the front desk with that complaint and a gentleman told me they would send somebody up to fix it - that never happened. The next day I spoke to a different gentleman who told me that it would take 3 days to send in an engineer to fix it and generally put me off my hopeful notion that I would be able to use it.

When I asked about the shuttle back to the airport at check-in, the friendly woman told me it would have to booked at least a day in advance. So early on day 2 I spoke to the front desk a gentleman who told me he would arrange it. I was very specific about the day I wanted it because when I'm traveling internationally, I really don't care for any unexpected headaches. When arrived back at the hotel later that day, the earlier woman asked me why I had booked the shuttle for the next day.... I could go into more detail about the shuttle fiasco but to summarize IT NEVER DID SHOW, like I knew it wouldn't and I hate being right about matters of that nature. When I went to check out at 9:30am (my 'shuttle' was supposed to arrive at 9:45am - I 'booked' it with several hours to spare because I felt reasonably confident things weren't going to go as planned) there was NO ONE at the front desk. I waited 10 minutes and found the front desk staff member in the restaurant who seemed upset that I wanted to check out in advance (15 minutes) of my 'shuttle' pick up time. When it became apparent the shuttle was not going to show, the front desk staff member did an admirable job trying to put that fire out and the hotel paid for a taxi to take me to another hotel where the shuttle would (*fingers crossed*) pick me up and take me to the airport. She blamed the mistake on the shuttle company (I knew this was true because I was confident in the earlier woman's competence) explaining "they were Jewish". Indeed, the shuttle driver at least, was gruff and marginally competent (that episode a story in itself). I do wonder though why they avail their guests of a sub-standard service.... At least I got to the airport in time (with considerable consternation) and for a reasonable price.

Finally, I have to report some politically related observations. I want to be clear this has nothing to do with the Commodore Hotel. I never felt welcome in (Arab) East Jerusalem (where the hotel is located). My 'American' appearance (I'm Canadian) and accent clearly put me on the outs with the locals even though I make a point of being exceedingly polite. In the Muslim Quarter of the Old City a couple of vendors made clear (while not being hostile) they were not interested in my business. There are two convenience marts adjacent to the hotel and in both there was considerable discussion amongst the staff (in Arabic) prior to arriving at the final price and indeed afterwards. Nobody was smiling. For that reason alone I couldn't recommend Westerners stay at the Commodore Hotel or in East Jerusalem. Do visit the Old City but stay in West Jerusalem or Tel Aviv instead. Maybe if you're sympathetic to Palestinian issues you may be willing to overlook the hotel's and neighborhood's shortcomings...or perhaps I was just unlucky on both counts. I gave them the benefit of the doubt though but it just didn't work out for me.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dale M
monty264, Guest Relations Manager at Commodore Hotel Jerusalem, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns about our hotel as we are always working to make our guests' stays better.

We have seriously investigated all the issues in your first paragraph and we have taken all necessary actions for such points not to be repeated again namely replying promptly to guests mails and any electronic safe issues that might arise.

Regarding airport shuttle, this is a service we do to guest by booking him in the official airport taxi appointed by the government. Sadly, issues do sometimes happen that are not related to us! We booked you a place, they allege that it was cancelled but as our guest we took the responsibility to solve such issue and i think we did!

People of East Jerusalem are VERY hospitable and very friendly and as you might have said, it just didn't work for you :). And we do appreciate you are giving us the benefit of the doubt.

We do apologize for your stay and we hope you will give us another chance in the future to show you the merits of our improved service and the real hospitality that comes out of the heart.

Thank you again and your comments will only help us improve for future customers.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

This is a fantastic hotel. The room we stayed in was lovely and comfortable if a bit small. The breakfast was great. It's not a long walk to Damascus gate in the old town or there is a bus from outside the hotel. The staff are what really makes this hotel exceptional. They are extremely helpful and they really couldn't do enough for us. They made sure we got our breakfast one morning when we had to leave very early for a tour. They provided us with so much assistance and information about the area. The hotel is in East Jerusalem and it is great to support businesses in that part of town too! It was a really great find and I would recommend it to all travelers to Jerusalem.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed and wonderful review.

One of the nicest things for a hotel to hear is that our guests enjoyed their stay.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Commodore Hotel Jerusalem, and we hope you will be returning to stay with us in Jerusalem very soon.

Many thanks,

Monty
PR Manager

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I have travelled to many places. I have never experienced service as excellent as the Commodore. The staff is amazing - very kind, super helpful, and very knowledeable. More importantly, they cater to you as if you were the only customer they had. The personalized attention is unmatched. Staff are genuine and so friendly and they go above and beyond. They even gave me a ride back to the bus terminal upon my departure because one of the staff was heading in that direction. There is a bus across the street that will take you to the old city in about 5 minutes - however, I chose to walk each day and felt very safe walking back at night. Room was clean and comfortable. I would go back and recommend this hotel to others. Thank you Commodore!

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank raguirre8
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Myself and my friend were recently in Jerusalem and we originally booked two nights at this hotel. The room was a twim room and although small was very clean and comfortable. It was because of the staff that we extended our stay to 5 nights, I travel a lot and I have never been more warmly greeted or better treated in any hotel anywhere, there was one morning where we had to get up earlier then breakfast time started and the staff already had breakfast waiting for us, they were afraid we would be hungry. We did not request this. they just did this. The breakfast is very good too.
The staff are kind and hugely knowledgeable about the area, They can organize tours with companies but they also helped a great deal as myself and my friend were traveling by local transport and trying to avoid tour buses, so they helped us with local bus services etc.They are situated perfectly to walk to the old city or the mount of olives.
I can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank OlwenC
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed in December. The hotel has modern rooms and clean and well decorated.

Easy bus access to the Old City infront of the hotel or you can walk about 12 minutes.

Great staff and very helpfull. Located in the East side of Jerusalem.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank WaoW66
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Just blocks away from the old walled city this is a great hotel. The daily breakfast was delicious and the staff was very friendly. This hotel is in the Arab section of Jerusalem, that being said there was no issue staying their as a Christian. Religion/Nationality was not reliant, making our stay very enjoyable. I would stay there again when I travel to Israel again.

Rooms were nice and clean and did I mention the food. Excellent.

Room Tip: No pool or gym. No nightlife but very peaceful
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cindy B
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Hotel is in a noisy street with poor lighting and somewhat unsafe to walk at night. One reviewer sad that this property was close to the Damascus gate - yeah you had to take bus that no a/c and torn seats and more passengers than seats. Condition of room is inadequate no toiletries, shower stall tends to leak (manager suggested adjusting the shower head towards the wall), room was poorly lit. I was promised a king bed but had a double bed instead. We made a booking for 6 nites but ended up checking out after ONE nite. Off course Hotels.com had a non cancellation policy so I guess there goes the money. Manager had the gall to claim that this is the only 4 star rated hotel in East Jerusalem.. oh well .. live and learn

Room Tip: PIck a hotel in West Jerusalem on on the border.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Rann2013
monty264, Manager at Commodore Hotel Jerusalem, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Well we are very sorry that your review was not just and fair. And we are sorry that it was based on you not having a refund because you have checked out early!

The hotel is 2 years old. Rooms use power led technology. The amount of lighting (lumen) is according to the israeli standards so it is adequatly lit rooms. All newly built and renovated hotels follow this standard for power saving and according to standards wether it was 1 or 5 star hotels).

You arrived on August 13th at around 6:30 in the morning and our receptionist checked you in at exactly 6:57 am, ie 8 hours before the standard check in time (15:00 hrs) and for FREE and with a BIG smile!

You were given room 301 with big size bed 150 cm width (10 cm less than standard king size bed 160 cm!) and single bed. You went into the room and you saw it and all was well.

Busses to the old city (bus 75) are all new buses :) and all of them are Airconditioned as windows do not open.

Hotel is exactly 1.2 km away from Damascus gate an we think it is close enough that anyone can walk it despite that in some places it is up hill!!

When we said we know the reasons why we left the hotel ... yes we know .. it is the reason you have just written here! 'Pick a hotel in West Jerusalem'! and thats what the taxi driver convinced you to do for some reason!

We thank you for your stay and we hope that you can be just and fair to others next time things dont go your way :)

Looking forward to seeing you again ...

Monty