“Disappointed with cold and poor food and service”
Review of Black Jerusalem

Black Jerusalem
Ranked #27 of 736 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Down Town West Jerusalem
Description: This is a chain of restaurants throughout Israel They're basically a Kosher gourmet burger joint. They have fancy burgers (lamb burger, spinach and nuts, garlic confit, etc...) and good appetizers and desserts.
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We eat in this restaurant usually once a month and always encounter problems but last night was our worst experience.

We arrived at 1900 and the restaurant was not very busy so there was no excuse for the poor quality of the food and the service.

We ordered a starter of sweet potato chips.

They were obviously made earlier because they were cold.

And If they were made on the spot.. then the waiter might have simply forgot to bring them to us since the waiter needs to go upstairs to bring down the food which can easily cause the hot food to cool off... It came with sweet and sour chili sauce

The delicious tatar sauce that usually comes with the chips was missing and when we asked the waiter why... he brought us thina instead of the tatar sauce.

My wife ordered a poppey burger on whole wheat roll and requested from the waiter that since she is diabetic she only wanted half of the roll with her burger on it and the other half should be left off the grill and given to her to take home with no contact with meat or the grill. simply ..a room temperature half of a whole wheat roll.

Instead the waiter brought both halves cooked on the grill with meat fat on them. When my wife complained that she did not request this. They took back the grilled half of a whole wheat roll and then they brought her a hard old half of a whole wheat roll to take home. .It turned out to be un eatable.

I ordered the poppey burger as well and requested it very well done... when it arrived it was totally red inside...rare...it was as if I never requested well done.

..They took it back and by then my wife was finished with her meal. When mine finally arrived it was still somewhat rare inside but at that point I could no longer complain.

Each time we have ordered a well done burger in this restaurant it needs to be returned as it is always rare and red inside. They never get it right the first time.

The music and screens are very very loud and do not add to a romantic atmosphere... You can barely hear yourself speak.

The staff means well and even asks how everything is... but out of embarrassment I could not say..awful or terrible.

Usually when you ask for the check you get hand wipes and tooth picks but this time they never arrived and it took for ever to get the check and I had to ask for a tooth pick as none were visible for customers to take.

We always thought that Black Bar n Burger was the best burger place around... but after last night... forget it! We were very disappointed.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This chef's restaurant has a large choice of tasty high quality hamburgers and other meat and vegetarians plates, beautifully served by a friendly staff.
It's worth a visit, (but only if the upper floor is open!).
Not far from the Old City of Jerusalem and near the Mamilla Mall

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We found Black burger after another restaurant was not open for dinner yet and someone passing by recommended it. The meat was fresh and cooked well and the egg on top was delicious. It is a kosher restaurant which meant no cheese, but the egg made up for that. The fries were good and alcoholic drinks were reasonably priced for the area. But I would be amazed if there wasn't better burgers close by.

1  Thank GDGandTBiggs
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The hamburgers are large and thick and cooked to perfection! Black's offer a great variety of sandwiches but the hamburgers are worth the trip. The waiters were very helpful to us as we don't know how to speak Hebrew.

Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Let's see, where do I start? Restaurants in Jerusalem are expensive but usually good but this was way too expensive off a burger joint as well as bad. The burger that I ordered medium rare was raw; my wife's medium burger was well done. Our friends had similar experience. The service was very slow and unfriendly. Our friend wanted about any white wine that wasn't a Chardonnay but all they had was Chardonnay. Plus the atmosphere was bad. Other than that, the beer was ok (but real expensive).