“Delicious food, unpretentiously elegant place, excellent service”
Review of Cardo Restaurant

Cardo Restaurant
Ranked #158 of 729 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Delicious food, unpretentiously elegant place, excellent service”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We were pleasantly surprised to find this lovely restaurant on the east side of Jerusalem, in the Legacy Hotel. The menu is varied; it was hard to make choices. We decided to share an appetizer (the fried calamari), a salad (arugula with pears, gorgonzola and pecans), and the main dish (rack of grilled lamb dipped in spicy bread crumbs). Each dish was nicely presented and more than generous servings. (I don't know how one person could alone eat any of those plates). We could have done without the salad as it was mostly greens, a bit disappointing.

The waiters were knowledgeable, professional and polite. We enjoyed the view from a table near the window. The place is nicely decorated; they use table cloths and attractive flatware. One of the nicest things was how relaxing it was --soft and pleasant music, a non-rush atmosphere, and "service with a smile." We will definitely go back there when in Jerusalem again. One more thing -- the prices were not exaggerated, so you get good value.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank sumik

Geneva, Switzerland
“Poor service. period.”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

In was told the Cardo restaurant in the Legacy was worth visiting. True, the view of the old city is amazing, but even for the view I would not return. We arrived around 10pm. You could see from the faces, they did not want any customers anymore, even though only a handful of tables was being used. I ordered a risotto, but when it arrived (after 10 minutes) I noticed the risotto rice was still a bit uncooked, so I sent it back. The waiter wanted to convince me it was 'al dente', without even tasting himself. I know the difference between uncooked and 'al dente' and this was uncooked. The waiter returned to the (open) kitchen, where he explained it to the cook who was not amused (I could see the rude gestures from where I was seated). In the end they cooked my dish some more (not offering me a entirely new one), which resulted in a thick risotto which was - I have to admit- was tasty. The waiter brought it to my table without a single apology, but worse, without giving me a new spoon and fork. I got really annoyed at the poor and rude service and decided not to give any tip. And when the waiter realised he could not could on a tip, he didn't shy away from cursing us in Arabic. All in all, I found the service so rude, that I really would not recommend anyone going there for a nice and relaxing dinner.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank monalila
Jerusalem
“A new amazing place in the heart of Jerusalem's history”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Amazing Middle Eastern influenced fine dining place. The atmosphere is outstanding, food is unique and superb, and prices are more than reasonable.
The Menu has changed recently, and includes a large (perhaps too large) selection of seafood, meat and many others.
We had eggplant that was cooked in a large traditional stove (Taboon), with excellent tahini sauce. Another dish – deep fried squid – was of excellent quality for only 59 Nis. For main course we had the Cornish game hen that was infused with Moroccan spices and grilled to perfection
And finally there is a local desert that is taken to the next level – "Lebanon Nights", cold semolina porridge with rose water and berries (39 Nis).
A big meal will cost 100-150 Nis per person. For this kind of food you will pay much more in other restaurants in town.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Jeruslameats
Jerusalem
“Disappointing food”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

My husband and I had lunch here recently. The Greek salad was very nice- fresh and plentiful. My chicken cordon bleu was terrible. Almost $20 for a portion that was dry and very disappointing. Hubbies pasta was good, with a freshly made sauce.
The apple struedal was the next disappointment. A very large portion but the pastry was inedible. It appeared to be something made in advance, frozen and then microwaved.
It is a shame to charge almost $35 for two courses for food that was not acceptable.
The foccacia and pastes when we first sat down were nice though.
If you want loyal customers you need to give them value for money! We have been here before but now I would not recommend this restaurant as the food quality is inconsistent.