“Israeli Guide-Michal "Micki" Schneider”

Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Ashdod Shore Excursion: Jerusalem and Dead Sea Day Trip
Ranked #6 of 250 Tours in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer private and small-group tours at unbeatable prices with personal pick-up and drop-off from the hotel or cruise ship. We look forward to welcoming you in Israel for a wondeful and memorable experience!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 2 July 2014

In early April of 2014 I had the privilege to travel to Israel. I had never traveled that far out of country before or ever taken a trip like this, so I didn't really know what to expect. I have to say it was the proverbial trip of a lifetime! One of the reasons was the amazing group of friends I went with, and of course the country is near and dear to my heart and seeing it was so superior to reading about it or seeing pictures. But another reason was our tour guide, Michal Schneider. Not only was she so knowledgeable, but very personable. She is very outgoing and interested in getting to know each of us and has a great sense of humor that so endeared her to us even more. To a person our group loved her, both the adults and the students. We were able to talk of serious matters and yet have fun as well. One of the things I appreciated most about her was that she didn't just recite the history of the landmarks, but gave interesting side stories that made it come to life. This really stood out to me when at Masada some of our group was waiting for the rest who were walking up and there was another tour group there, and as I listened to him I realized that even though he was historically thorough, he had no stories that made it more personal, more memorable, and that made it come alive like Micki did. I learned so much from her, both histroically and regarding current events. Another thing I appreciated was her flexibiltiy, to be willing to stop at places not on our itinerary, thus I saw much more than I thought I would. She is also a strong advocate for her people, so wherever we were, we felt very well taken care of! When our trip was over it was hard to say good-bye to her because we weren't merely saying good-bye to our tour guide, but a new friend. I know my principal has stated he will definitely ask for her on our next school tour to Israel as she was the best he's experienced. Even though I am a novice traveler, I can recognize a 5-star tour guide when an entire group's experience was nothing but positive, and that is exactly what Micki Schneider is! I also want to add that, our bus driver, who I only know as Moody(sp), was wonderful as well both personally and in his driving ability. He and Micki have a great working relationship which made the trip even more enjoyable as we were all on the same page, with the same agenda. I would strongly recommend her as she is an extraordinay person and a phenomenal tour guide.

Debbie Amble
King's High School
Seattle

2  Thank bobruhlman
Guided-Tours-Israel, Manager at Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Wow! Thank you for your very kind words. I wish to thank you for signing-up to Trip Advisor to tell everyone about your experience and it was my pleasure to be your host in Israel. Thank you for also sharing the photo of everyone with Jerusalem in the background - what a fantastic group. Thank you thank you and again thank you. God Bless and we hope to see you in Israel again very soon!

There are newer reviews for Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Was a wee bit anxious seeing all the Thomsons tours leave and wondering whether I had made the right decision to book with a private company but as soon as the tours had left we went straight through to be met with two lovely, smiling people holding a board with out names on it.We had decided to do Jerusalem & Dead Sea and it was great. There is a fair bit of walking in Jerusalem but a small coach can get so much closer to a lot of the sites thus reducing the distance to walk The Dead Sea did not live up to my expectations ...not the fault of Guided Tours I hasten to add but it was much smaller than I expected it to be but nevertheless its another box ticked Both guide and Driver were excellent and Leo was a great help when arranging the trip Would not hesitate to use again if back in Israel

1  Thank AbbyGo

Thank you for the nice review. So pleased to see that you enjoyed the tour to Jerusalem and the Dead Sea, which is our most popular shore excursion. Wishing you all the best and do come back to visit us when its calm and peaceful again for a longer stay! All the best to both of you.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our family had a wonderfully full day in The Old City w/our guide. He took us to many places it would have been hard to find in one day. He provided us history of each site and made us feel welcome. Good pace and comfortable. Thank you!

3  Thank Amy H

Thank you for recommending the tour in Jerusalem. It was our pleasure to be your hosts for one day. Hope to welcome you back in Israel for a longer visit soon. Take care and all the best wishes.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I cannot recommend Guided Tours Israel highly enough. We hired a private tour guide for trips to Megiddo at the beginning of our group tour, and Hebron at the end of our group tour. Leo made the entire booking process easy and was thorough and patient with my very many questions. Our private tour guide, Efi, was fantastic and was able to get us into Hebron to see the Tomb of Abraham at a time when much of Hebron is closed to tourists. We always felt safe and comfortable in asking questions, and all our guides - Efi, Avi, and Shuki - were kind and knowledgeable with whatever we asked, Each of them made adjustments based on our individual wants and hoped-for sites, and all proved to be excellent tour guides. Highly, highly, highly recommend this company. Leo was even available to answer a few logistical questions we had once our tour had started. We could not be more pleased as this turned out to be one of the greatest trips I've ever taken.

Wow! Thank you for letting everyone know that this was one of the best trips you have ever taken. We really appreciate your kind words and wish you all the best and many more wonderful holidays to come.

PS- we now offer a "great tour or money back" guarantee so anyone reading these reviews should know that its very safe to book with us - if we have availability.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We chose Guided Tours of Israel for a two day shore excursion from the port of Haifa in May, 2014 based on tripadvisor reviews and the rapid response from the company. We chose the "Christian" tour Jerusalem and Bethlehem on Day 1(on the Sabbath- Shabbat) - and Northern Israel (Sea of Galilee) for Day 2. . Price was reasonable compared to cruise ship excursions (Oceania).

Our group consisted of passengers from our cruise ship. We were 12 out of a possible 15 passengers.

TIPS:
Carefully read the instructions on where to meet the guide. This information is provided by the company on your e-mail confirmation. The guide will not be waiting for you outside of your ship, and not beside the gangway. You will need to proceed to the passenger terminal.

Wear good, comfortable walking shoes and bring a walking stick, if needed. These tours involve a lot of walking (but not so strenuous if you regularly walk 2-3 km).

Bring sun screen. Women: bring a scarf to cover your head at the Western Wall in Jerusalem.

Bring towels to wipe your feet for the shallow dip into the Sea of Galilee and Jordan River.

Bring local currency. US dollars and Euros are accepted but you have to wait for the vendor to calculate the exchange (which might not be a good rate). Very few shopping stops on this tour. Money will be required to buy lunch, water or snacks. Water is not provided by tour company.

Group may ask for extra, unplanned activities (like sailing across the Sea of Galilee), so bring extra cash.

PROS:
1. Excellent guide and driver. We were fortunate to have Elhanan, a full time school teacher who tours with groups part time because he is passionate about his country and history. The driver, Ziad, brought us safely to/from the sights. Jerusalem was a 2.5 hour drive on the Sabbath (no work related traffic).

2. Moderately paced tour with moderately difficult walk. My parents were likely the oldest in the group ( 80 and 84 years) and could manage the uneven walks, some up hill. Weather was very pleasant 22 degrees C with a little wind in May. Not sure what it would be like in the heat of summer. There is a lot to take in but Elhanan kept the walking pace just right.

3. Information provided by the guide: It is a good idea to read before going. As crowds were moderate during our visit to Bethlehem and Jerusalem, we could hear what the guide had to say, but not sure about high season when there are more tourists and guides competing for space. Elhanan had excellent teaching resources (visuals) to help us understand what we were seeing. This worked well for our small group.

4. Information on website is accurate. Be sure to read carefully. If you are not clear about the tour's itinerary, ask questions by e-mailing the company.

CONS
No real cons.

1. Lunch: Lunch was at restaurants enroute to next attraction. The guide gave us a couple of choices each day. As described on the website, lunch will cost about $20-25 US or about 45 to 65 New Israeli Shekels. Lunch was a set meal or a buffet with cold salads and hummus (and pita bread). There were no small items to purchase (like just hummus and pita). The restaurants had picnic places so you can bring a lunch. Some people brought breakfast items from our ship. We should have brought our own food, but it was OK food at the restaurant.

We stopped at St Peter's Fish restaurant on the shore of the Sea of Galilee (a.k.a. Sea of Tiberias). The "Sea" is actually a large fresh water lake, and St Peter's Fish is tilapia - a very common white fish that you can buy at any grocery store. The fish is farmed.

2. Seat size in the tour van. Very comfortable if you are short and small. There are seats on the back of the van for larger people.

I highly recommend this company - and if you can get Elhanan - you will not be disappointed.

6  Thank valueaddedCanada

What can we say? All true! Wonderful suggestions and tips with valuable information for anyone coming on a shore excursion. Thank you for sharing and of course for the kind words. Hope to see you in Israel for a longer stay soon!