“Strike gold with Danny the Digger”
Review of Danny the Digger

Danny the Digger
Ranked #23 of 258 Tours in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Danny the Digger

We had the fortune of spending two days with Danny A tour where the past is filtered through the eyes of a scientist, in particular the eyes of an archaeologist. As we explored the religious sites in the old city we were challenged with questions "is there a biblical reference to this site" and beyond that, " is there archaeological evidence to support the bible". It was stressed that there is so much more to be discovered, and who knows what can still be proven. Take the tour to find the answers. We gained an understanding of the conflicts within these ancient walls, as Muslims, Jews, and Christians share this small area of land known as Jerusalem We learned about the conflicts within the Christian sects, as illustrated by the difficulties in maintaining the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.
We decided against going to Bethlehem, so Danny took as to a park, showing the work of Ben Morin, ( where nature, in the form of trees, is integrated with modern structures). And from there a view of Bethlehem. We even saw some trenches, from the war of 1948.
What a wonderful trip, thanks to Danny, the trip far exceeded my expectations.

1  Thank Equinelady007

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I took a one day tour with Danny Herman through the City of David and the Southern Wall. Danny took his time to thoroughly explain the history of the area so that when we went on our tour we were able to really understand everything we saw. His knowledge of archaeology is top notch and he has a very nice, patient way of explaining and teaching. He is an excellent teacher and his presentation is top notch. A fabulous guide -- highly recommended.

1  Thank Miriam B
Reviewed 23 July 2014

After spending a few days touring around Israel on my own, I had the pleasure of touring with Danny the Digger. On my own, I saw mosaics, and thought "Wow, amazing they lasted 2,000 years." With Danny, I was able to gain a far deeper understanding of why the mosaics were important, how the archaeologists found them and worked to preserve them; and what they tell us about the people that lived at the time the mosaics were laid. How do we know that this home was the home of Judah? How do we know that these mosaics are even in a home? How do we know those over there are in a temple? Danny has his theories, which he shares, as well as the conventional wisdom. You, the tourist can make your own conclusions.

The forensics of archaeology are fascinating, and no tour book shares that level of insight. Having the expert guide of Danny allowed us to appreciate the sites at a far deeper level. I highly recommend touring with Danny if you have the chance.

That, and he's an incredibly pleasant person to be around (an important thing to consider when you're spending hours not just at the sites but in the car driving between them)

1  Thank Socialchef
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Danny expertly guided us through the Dead Sea area and explained everything to us from an informative historical perspective.

1  Thank Joseph H
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I've been on many tours worldwide, but Danny stands out. We had a group of 5 people with a wide range of interests and mobility levels. Danny drew us all in with his knowledge and presentation. We especially enjoyed his challenges and debates of some widely held beliefs!!!

3  Thank John P