“one word- WOW WOW WOW”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Tel Aviv, Israel
“one word- WOW WOW WOW”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This restaurant is a chef-restaurant, usually one would imagine a large and quiet restaurant with very quiet waiters assisting the service. Well, in this case, it was quite the opposite situation. The Restaurant is small, located near Machaney Yehuda market and during all our stay there was a very load music. The waiters were very helpful assisting us (with a lot of jokes and shouting) and the food- just heaven!!!
We made a reservation a month before.
We ordered a double chef tastes (and this means that no one beside the chefs who prepared it just now will know what inside..) we got eight different types, each dish taste even better than before. The pick was the black risotto with Salmon. This was definitely the best dish i ever eaten in my life.
So if you like such a good food, try this one...

• Visited June 2014

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
“Best restaurant in Israel”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Great vibe,service,atmosphere,and food in all of Israel!,,,,the octopus and calamari where exquisite. The polenta is so great you will beg for more. Loved the sea bass too. This chef should be up for an award. Hope he opens up in NY.

Visited June 2014
london
“Tasting menu heaven”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This restaurant is widely recommended by many and rightly so. It is adjacent to the main market in Jerusalem, which is itself a fantastic experience.
What to lie:
-superbly creative food with some spectacular flavours
-wide range of fish,seafood,meat,poultry and vegetables as well as absolutely scrum my desserts
-presentation was beautiful. Many dishes were served on large sharing platters
-service was friendly and very attentive
- vibe was cool and lively , a result of the decor and music
What not to like:
- some may find it too loud
- this is not cheap, though we were happy to pay the price

If you want a dining experience this is as good as it gets in an informal setting

• Visited June 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
“WOW - this is one funky place”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This place is unlike any restaurant we've seen before.
Already as we walked in, we were greeted by a dancing, singing maitre d' who led us to our seats at the bar. The place is tiny, and apparently always jam packed. Everybody here is seriously fun! Loud music, a wild mix of different styles. You can watch the kitchen staff as the entire kitchen is completely open. Food was excellent (my favorite was the offals of lamb, although that might not be for everyone...)! Between courses the bartender would always come over to us and offer us a free shot of tequila, vodka or other spirits. And he would always take a shot himself. No kidding, no trick - he would take it from the same bottle and down it right away. Talk about workplace safety... Anyway, we loved the place, food and drinks were great, one BIG party, absolutely crazy. Can't imagine what dinner would be like - ah yes, we were there for lunch...

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“A BIG SONG AND DANCE ABOUT NOT VERY MUCH”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I first stumbled upon (literally stumbled into) the Machneyuda Restaurant about four years ago when its glowing reputation was becoming established. I had been kicking my heals around the streets of the Machne Yehuda district while my wife was in a meeting nearby when my olfactory senses were stimulated by the most wonderful cooking smells emanating from a scruffy looking door to an even scruffier looking building. In my excitement to discover the source of these aromas I tripped as I crossed the threshold of restaurant and nearly went flying into the bar at the opposite side of the room.

As things turned out it was one of the happier accidents of my lifelong culinary adventure and I enjoyed one of the best lunches I have ever had in Israel or anywhere else for that matter. The food was so good and the experience such a happy one that it prompted me to write my first online review (for a rival website to this) so that the whole world could know about this wonderful and unusual eating establishment in an otherwise dingy side street of what was then, a rundown area of the Jerusalem.

In the time subsequent to that first magical visit to Machneyuda I have visited the restaurant on almost every trip to Israel―about once a year. And each time the magic has dimmed just a little until my last visit three nights ago when – very sadly - there was no more magic at all, at least so far as the food was concerned. As ever, the atmosphere was electric, with dancing sommeliers and singing chefs and insanely loud Israeli music. But whereas in the past the mayhem had acted as a quirky and charming embellishment to a wildly wonderful eating experience, it now just irritated senses already subdued by indifferent and forgettable cooking.

In fairness, the starters weren’t too bad. The chefs still remember how to make an exceptionally light and fluffy polenta and the truffle flavour was subtle enough as was the savoury flavour of minced lamb on tahina sauce in my companion’s hors d'oeuvre. However, my main course steak was a disaster – in every sense. Whether the beef was tough for lack of ageing or because it was from a sub-standard animal I could not say, but boy – it was tough. But worse than its texture – far worse – was its peculiar livery flavour. The waitress who instantly replaced the offending article with an alternative dish could offer no explanation for the state of the steak although my companion suggested that it might have been tainted by the flavour of something cooked previously in the same skillet. But whatever the reason, this was substandard beef for such a high end establishment. In place of the steak I chose the sweetbreads which unfortunately were no improvement. The various components of the dish were indistinct and tasteless overwhelmed by a pungent watery sauce overloaded with the flavour of what could have been cloves and olives (?) yet almost devoid of seasoning. It was the sort of dish one would expect to be served up by an amateur home cook trying out a new recipe book rather than by a famous TV chef.

Machneyuda would not be first fine dining establishment – and it certainly won’t be the last – to relax on its laurels and / or become complacent in the execution of its cuisine but it is the first time I have experienced such a spectacularly dramatic fall from grace of a once great restaurant.

I suspect however, that fortunately for Machneyuda and its three chef proprietors its narrative is now so deeply inscribed into Israeli culinary folklore that its reputation has reached almost mythical status is thus all but impregnable whatever the quality of the cooking itself.

As a final comment, I must admit that the service remains excellent.

• Visited May 2014