“Please read! Very dirty looking restaurant!”
Review of Mandarin

Mandarin
Ranked #570 of 706 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Description: Use google genius! Restaurant does not have its own site.
Dorset, United Kingdom
“Please read! Very dirty looking restaurant!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Our friends invited us to join them for dinner here. I had eaten here years ago (there has been a restaurant of this name at this address for 40 years though I believe it's changed ownership since then at least twice).
It's outdated, but that I don't mind, what I do mind is that it's DIRTY.

The banister coming up the stairs to the restaurant is dirty and sticky. The floor in the restaurant is sticky / tacky. The door to the kitchen is black with filth and from what I saw of the kitchen (I was facing towards the kitchen from an angle so I could only see part of it) it was very dirty. The chef/cook was wiping his hands on his trousers whilst handling raw meat - which was being stored in a pile by the entrance next to the kitchen door and near cleaning buckets and dirty floor cloths. When I got up to get the bill I saw through the serving hatch and the rest of the kitchen looked pretty bad too.
We ordered rice and sesame chicken for the two youngest kids in our party. It came very quickly. Too quickly. I cut the chicken into small pieces for my son, but I couldn't give it to him because it was raw inside. I sent it back. The next batch of sesame chicken seemed better cooked, but was dry and quite inedible. The wanton soup I ordered was a strange grey color and was not served hot. I tasted it. It was very salty. I couldn't eat it.
The rest of our party ordered several dishes for us all to share. Because of the standard of hygiene and the raw chicken I was now wary of eating anything. The rest of the group seemed happy to eat what was served. I tried some of the egg roll, fried rice, and noodles. All were too salty, greasy and were not served hot enough. I also tried some of the beef, which seemed okay.

Another odd thing was that all the dirty plates from our table and other tables were collected and left on a table near the kitchen for over an hour before they were taken away. Also I feel there was a strange smell in some of the food that was served.

I have reported what I saw and experienced to the local authority's health department. I hope they check this place out and make sure the owners and kitchen clean up this establishment. IT'S THAT BAD. REALLY REALLY DIRTY.

The service was good down to the very polite Philippine lady who was our waitress.The food is overpriced. We payed about $30 each including drinks and desert and tip.

It was the worst Chinese food I've ever had... In one of the dirtiest restaurants I've ever seen...

Visited July 2014
5 Thank dillon71

• Hebrew first
United Kingdom
“Spot on”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

No frills place, looks very dated, but their chicken curry was so amazing we had it twice in a week.

Visited March 2014
Jerusalem, Israel
“Worst Chinese food ever”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The food here is about the worst that I've tasted anywhere... its very heavily salted and everything has some kind of awful flavor that I don't know how to describe.
The waitress was very nice, that is about the only positive thing I can say about the place... they also automatically add a tip to the bill.. I know that sometimes happens with a group of people but it was just the two of us.
If you want a place that is open on Shabbat try Sakura or Baroods which are close by.. the food in those places is so much better..

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank RutiV
Boston, Massachusetts
“Most Authentic Chinese Food in the City”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Have visited Mandarin dozens of times over the years. Most authentic Chinese food and experience in the city (we are regular patrons of China town in Chicago and Boston, and recently spent 3 months traveling in China). Not kosher. Late hours are great, and centrally located. Usually filled with tour groups from various Asian countries, and can be loud at times, but worth it!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank EvanMJC
Enfield, UK
“Very tasty and open on the Sabbath”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My wife and I had been walking around Jerusalem on the Sabbath and the Mandarin was one of only about two restaurants open in the area for lunch. Both liking Chinese food we went in. To find the restaurant door, which was not obvious, you have to go round the left of the building. Once up the stairs, the restaurant itself is open, airy (on a very hot day) and spacious with all the tables set up for guests. It is well decorated, more flavour of China than many UK ones I have visited. We were the only people there and the waitress came over with the menus almost as soon as we had sat down. There was a good variety of food and drinks, but we settled for Chinese tea in view of the weather - it was very refreshing. I ordered Lemon Chicken, which I really enjoy, and my wife had beef noodles. The Beef was well cooked and tasty, as were the noodles. The Lemon Chicken, one of the largest and most lemony portions I have had, was accompanied by some green salad. The portions were so large that we did not do justice to anything else on the menu, but left very satisfied. If it is the Sabbath, you like Chinese and you are in the area of Jaffa/Yofa Street, then I would recommend it.

• Visited May 2014