“Great taste of Jewish Middle Eastern Food”
Review of Azura

Azura
Ranked #1 of 729 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This place is hidden inside the Iraqi Shuk of the historic hundred year old Mahaneh Yehuda Market (Shuk Mahaneh Yehuda) - a very historic neighborhood and bazaar that housed Jewish refugees from all over the Middle East when the State of Israel was just forming. Azura's dishes are slow-cooked on paraffin stoves which supposedly lend to a unique flavor. Very tasty, home style dishes from the Jewish Kitchens of the region are served here. The eggplant dishes such as mussaka and their signature dish (can't remember the name) are both tasty - I didn't like their side dish of okra - I definitely make it better at home. I also very much like their hummus. I think that it's just as good as any hummus place in The Old City. The food is a little pricey I must say. On Friday, the place turns into a factory. Diners come in and are quickly shuffled out once they finish eating. In the hot summer, large industrial sized fans blow air and water mist on the diners outside in the plaza and old men play backgammon (shesh besh) Crowd is overwhelmingly locals... Good to try at least once.

There are newer reviews for Azura

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

No complaints, great food, average prices, quick service.
Went here for a bit of lunch after walking round the old and new city.
Didn't plan anything just turned up.
Enjoyed watching the old men sitting around and playing backgammon.
Food very simple but well made and tasty. Price for two including beers less than £20.
Recommend as somewhere to stumble upon.

1  Thank dcweymouth
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Make sure you make time to visit Azora when you are in Jerusalem. A mixture of Turkish, Iraqi, Spanish and Israeli food under the bracket of 'oriental' food. All delicious! Try the eggplant stuffed with lamb and pine nuts, the beet kubbe and the sofrito.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We sat down for a limonada (freshly squeezed lemon with mint on ice), when I suddenly realised we were sitting at one of Azura's outside tables, so HAD to stay for lunch!
Delicious local food, we were the only non Israelis sitting there. Loved it, thanks to a review we had read from Yotam Ottolenghi about his favourite Jerusalem haunts. Not to be forgotten, after a wonderful tour of the Market.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I had read an article in an Israeli newspaper about this place before I went to Israel so I knew it was a destination for me. I went one evening with a friend & unfortunately they were just closing. I returned a few days later at the lunch hour & got a table promptly. I already knew what I wanted so was quickly served a bowl of hamousta /kubbeh soup which is one of my favorite ethnic dishes. It was absolutely delicious. The soup was the right amount of sour taste & the kubbeh stuffed with spiced meat was wonderful. I was so happy to eat at this place! It is located in the Iraqi section of Mahane Yehuda shuk. Service was good & quick. All ingredients fresh & hot. Can't wait to go back.
A great value for diners on a budget & a chance to taste seem great tunic Israeli cooking!