I spent a lot of time looking at hotel reviews for Jerusalem in Tripadvisor.
I'm glad I did because it led me to this hotel.
Here are the reasons why I recommend you stay at this hotel when you're visiting Jerusalem:
* Jerusalem is an expensive city and it is easy to be scammed, money-wise. The tariff at this hotel is reasonable.
* A good breakfast is provided with both hot and cold components, including smoked salmon and mushroom frittata.
* On the fifth floor is the Turquoise restaurant. The genre is lebanese and the food is delicious. I especially recommend the fried kebbe and the lamb meatball soup. Prices are very reasonable here.
* The aforementioned restaurant and breakfast venue are located on the fifth floor with an incredible view over the Old City. There is also a pool and sun-baking terrace. We didn't make use of this facility because it was covered with snow. Not really the hotel's fault when Jerusalem had suffered the worst storm in 100 years!
* Although relatively small, standard bedrooms are perfectly formed, clean and have an excellent shower with plenty of hot water and lots of pressure.
* The staff is delightful and want to help you. Because we arrived just after the snow storm, they would pour hot water outside before we left to try and remove ice.
* You are only a 10 minute walk downhill to the Damascus Gate and a 10 minute walk uphill to the American Colony Hotel. The latter is worth a visit but be prepared to pay a lot for a meal here.
* I am due to fly out from Tel Aviv tomorrow at midnight. Because the hotel has granted me a late checkout at 5 PM, I can still tour in the morning, have a shower and be ready for my transfer at 6pm. I think this is very generous.
East Jerusalem is different from West Jerusalem. It has more of a Middle Eastern feel and you can hear the muezzin call at the traditional times. You can also hear the bells of St George's Cathedral just up the road. Don't worry about walking in this area. My friend I, both female, found it perfectly safe. I just wouldn't walk around late at night, alone. That is only sensible in a lot of places!
The best of both worlds. Reasonably priced and convenient.
I thoroughly recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The St George Hotel Jerusalem is located in the heart of Jerusalem city, offering guests a contemporary stay in the center of the historical city of Jerusalem. The St George Hotel is the only choice for international and local visitors, with unparalleled service business and dining facilities, besides the top floor pool overlooking the city of Jerusalem. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your St. George Hotel Jerusalem reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.