“A Stable - Avoid If Possible”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem
Ranked #38 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Michigan
“A Stable - Avoid If Possible”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

This is a very large hotel that makes its money on booking 4 and 6 day stays for big bus tours of the Holy Land. They know these people will seldom return and if they do, it will likely be on another tour and they won't have any choice in hotels.

Service is awful. The rooms are small and in bad repair. Food is ok at breakfast and miserable at dinner.

Really, there are so many other choices of good hotels in Jerusalem for the same or less money -- there's no good reason to actually decide to pay money to stay here.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. If that's not an option, get a renovated room on the 17th floor or higher...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank joesindorf
Sheley13, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem, responded to this review, 27 November 2011
Dear Guest,
First let me thank you for choosing to stay at the "Crowne Plaza" Jerusalem Hotel.
It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and facilities and we sincerely apologize if we fell short on this case.. Please contact us on email address: jm_gmsec@hiil.co.il to further discuss the matters mention. We hope that you will continue choosing "Crowne Plaza" Jerusalem hotel for your future lodging needs.
The hotel's management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
bethesda, md
Reviewed 9 November 2011

My cousin and I travelled with a large group 90+ and stayed here 3 nights. The room on the 13th floor was very nice though smaller than we had at resort hotels in Tiberias and at the Dead Sea. This seemed normal to me because the other hotels were set up for family groups coming for long vacation stays. The first night there were problems with room keys that did not work and with elevators. Another lady and I stepped over to the reception desk and reported the elevator problem. The technician showed up with a special tool in about 3 minutes, and the elevators were fine after that. Note, all hotels in Israel must have at least one elevator that stops at every floor on the Sabbath so that Orthodox Jews can stay there. Neither of our keys worked though most people were not so unlucky. There seemed to have been a problem when the keys were coded. After recoding we had no more problems. The hotel went out of their way to make up for these early problems. We were treated to a free buffet lunch in a private dining area one day, and mineral water and cookies were delivered to our room.

I loved shopping at Sami's olive wood shop behind the elevators. I wanted a nativity set but was very unsure about adding something so large to my luggage. I first dropped in while the elevators were slow and just looked. That got quite a reduced price offer. I came in with a friend a couple of times and bought a camel. On the final morning my cousin and I went in and I was given a final offer that I accepted. It was all very pleasant and low key, and I'm really glad now that I have it home. Be aware that all sellers of these sets will swap out figures you do not like (the baby in my set had many ugly dark stripes in the wood and the ox had rough wood on the back). Wherever you buy pick up all of the figures and look at them from all sides. Prices at the shop ranged from small camels and donkeys at $2 to several hundred.

In the dining room, I noticed a cultural difference that caused problems when our group was there the same time as a group from Germany. We lined up and marched by the buffets (separate for salads, mains, desserts) filling our plates full and blocking access for example to the coffee even when we wanted the juice farther down. This confirmed European notions that we are overfed and rude. The Germans aimed at the particular items they wanted, appearing to the Americans to be rude pushy line breakers. By coming in just a bit behind the rush, I tended not to get caught in the lines, and I also went to the less active areas first knowing it would all calm down in minutes.

Also, it helps to remember that the folks who clear tables in dining rooms essentially do not speak English (or German or French, etc.) Typically perhaps Arabic is their first language and Hebrew their second.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank bardenl
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for choosing "Crowne Plaza" Jerusalem hotel and for your thoughtful comments regarding your recent stay with us. Your comments will be shared with our Management, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make our guests stay as special as possible. We will be looking forward to the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.
Kind Regard,
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Stay away from this place, the worst hotel I have ever stay in my life, bad service, bad attitude.
They didn't have our reservation ready, when we return at night the room was not ok, so we ask for the correct one on our reservation, the key didn't work 4 times and in a Jew Holiday 2 of the 4 elevators were only for Shabbat so you could imagine a 30 minutes run for every time the key didn't work. the room was as filthy as possible, an old cheese was in the fridge that someone left it, peanuts were on the floor.

The concierge service was a really useless service, they don't care about your needs. The hotel is far from the main attractions but if you walk left for around 5 minutes, you can find the bus stations and the lite rail service that will take you to the old city (damascus gate), but the concierge won't know about this they will send you in a taxi, if you take a taxi don't pay more than 40 shekels from the old city that was the cost with the meter.

Just stay away from this place, it does not have the same quality service as any other IHG hotel brand.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mauruz
Sheley13, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem, responded to this review, 20 November 2011
Toronto
Reviewed 2 November 2011

First off, the buffet dinner was not good. We arrived with a tour bus and the waiter at the front of the restaurant just told to walk to the back of the restaurant instead of showing us to the appropriate tables. All tables at the back were taken and only a few odd seats were left. When we asked the waiter at the back to let us seat at an empty table that previous guest had left, he just told us to take the table without getting anyone to clean and set the table. When we asked again, a waiter set the table by putting unused knifes/forks on the chair (very unsanitary). The food was not good, hot dishes were only slightly warm. Next morning, the buffet breakfast was not much better either.
My room looked just like the one in the picture with 2 single beds pushed together for a king size bed. However, both night lamp above the bed were burned out. The alarm clock is built inside the wall right beside the bed but even though I did not touch it, the alarm woke us up at 1:30am. In summary, this hotel in North America Standard would only be a 3+ star rating.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 October 2011

This was my second stay here in under a month. When getting ready for bed I noticed I wasn’t alone in the bathroom: a cockroach had joined me. I don’t know if this is an isolated incident or an infestation that has been fixed since my visit but clearly it is worth noting. Otherwise, the rooms are decently clean and well equipped. Breakfast is heavenly. Serve is so so but is consistent with local norms. You will be dissapointed if you are a regular Crown Plaza guest and expecting the same level of service.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade with a balcony upper floors
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Athens
Reviewed 22 October 2011

would expect something better from the brand name of this hotel.
I stayed there for the needs of a conference, and it would not be my personal choice for
accommodation again to this city. Although the location is reputable, it is far from the main attractions. The hotel shows somewhat aged, and I could not help observing some worn out
elements in the public areas. Room was ok, nothing special, very good birds eye views of
the city (actually the hotel is considered to be the tallest building of Jerusalem).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 10 October 2011

A few things that I did not like about this hotel, at the very best I would give it 2.75 stars. The location is not good for walking around at night ... even for a cup of coffee. It is in the government section of the city. The room was not cleaned well, hair on the bathroom floor.. just not the best. The food was adverage. We stayed 6 nights here and was told it was a very good hotel. The other two hotels we stayed at were excellent, great food etc. I was told that they stopped the remodeling and in part that was why. The beds were good and the room was quiet. We were on a tour and not being able to walk at night after dinner was my biggest complaint. (not much they can do about that)

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room!
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Sheley13, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jerusalem, responded to this review, 11 October 2011