“Beautiful, romantic hotel a stone's throw from the Old City” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mount Zion Hotel

Mount Zion Hotel
Ranked #18 of 97 Hotels in Jerusalem
New Haven, Connecticut
“Beautiful, romantic hotel a stone's throw from the Old City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

I don't have enough good things to say about the Mount Zion hotel. I stayed here with my family for the greater part of a week, and I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel that was a nice or as comfortable in Israel. Let's start with the location--the hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the Jaffa gate and the new Mamilla mall. The lobby and many of the rooms look east out over the valley of Gehinom and toward the mount of olives and Jordan beyond. The hotel is wonderfully decorated with ottoman and middle-eastern furnishings, and each room we stayed in (we moved around a few times) was unique in size and decoration. Outside, there are numerous little gardens and verandas, each landscaped with beautiful flowers and vines. The hotel also boasts a huge, secluded pool big enough to swim laps, with ample beach chairs all around and towel and bathroom facilities on site. Above the pool, there is a small outdoor hot tub with a view of the old city, plus a beautiful, steaming hammam and a decent fitness center (two treadmills, elliptical, bike, a bench, a nautilus machine, and hand weights up to 20 kg.) Finally, perhaps the most important attribute of the hotel is its amazing buffet breakfast. This isn't your ordinary breakfast. On every day except for Shabbat (when there is really no hot breakfast), breakfast options include a make-your-own omelette bar, numerous alternating hot breakfast entrees, four types of salads, six kinds of cheese, a full fruit bar, yogurts, numerous types of breads, and delicious desserts like chocolate and apple croissants. The highlight for me was the squeeze your own orange and grapefruit juice bar. The hotel provides fresh oranges and grapefruits and a squeezer and you can go and squeeze yourself as much of the good stuff as your heart desires. There is also, of course, unlimited coffee and tea. Finally, the wait and hotel staff were by and large friendly, multilingual, accommodating, and courteous--qualities that one cannot always count on when traveling in Israel.

One note of caution/tip: The wireless internet, while speedy, is not free--US $15 per 24 hours. But, if you just need to check email occasionally without paying an arm and a leg for the hotel wireless, head to the business center on the fifth floor, where there are three (free) computers with internet access.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the East.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank IWG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

The location of the hotel is great. There is ample free parking across the street. I would recommend the citadel rooms or suites if you can afford them. The other rooms are a little sparse. We were lucky enough to book through our local Jerusalem guide and he was able to get us a suite at a discounted price. These rooms overlook the old city and are in a turkish style which is a nice change from staying in more traditional hotel rooms.

We ate in the coffee shop/lobby bar area. The menu was unimpressive but the food was excellent and the cost was less than half what you would pay for the dinner buffet. The breakfast buffet was included in our package and was very, very good.

Overall we were happy with our stay.

Room Tip: Work with a local guide or travel agent for pkgs.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2011

Immediately upon arrival to the Mount Zion Hotel, we felt and witnessed its special atmosphere and the magnificent view of the old city. The architecture, design and decor of our room helped to bring us a great feeling about the hotel and being in Jerusalem.
The staff was kind and attentive and we experienced excellent service. The breakfast was delicious and provided us with a taste for more. In the spa, we had really good massages and the Turkish bath is incredible. The location could not be better (walking distance to the old city (and terrific nearby shopping).

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank mratson
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

great hotel with a magnificent view to the old city of Jerusalem and mount Zion.
Very comfortable rooms with an oriental touch , quick service and excelent breakfast .
walking distatnce from the Mamila shopping center and the old city .
We have been there several times and it is always a new surprize .

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

We could not have found a better hotel for our trip to Israel. It's wihin walking distance to most sites, breakfast was elaborate and the rooms were spacious and serviced twice a day. The staff was very helpful, in fact, so helpful, we didn't need a tour guide for most of our outings. They were always eager to tell us about the best parts of Jerusalem.

• Stayed March 2011
North Richland Hills, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2011

Location is nice as it is within walking distance of Jaffa Gate to the Old City. I had a large suite with a view of Mt. Zion. It was spacious enough, however, to get to it, you had to walk a long way from the front desk and then enter an outdoor courtyard before going up a few flights of steps to the suite. The hotel is in need of some attention. The door was jammed at the end of the hall that led out to the courtyard, which was the only way to my suite. I asked for help from the staff, and while promised they would help open the door, they didn't. I then made the Manager on Duty mad because I went to his office and asked him to help me. Lights were burned out in my room, and they were never replaced. Towels provided were thin and worn. The hotel for the price was not as I would expect. There were cleaning supplies stacked up on a table next to the entrance. Service in the bar off the lobby was terrible. I didn't go there for drinks, but rather for food. The food was good when I got it. I asked the evening before my departure for help with our luggage the next morning because I was leaving at 6:15AM. I was told to just call the front desk in the morning and someone would be there in 5 mins. When I called the next morning, I was informed that the "Porter" service did not start until 7AM, so I received no help at all with the luggage on my departure. All in all, this hotel is average. Beds are average, condition of the hotel is average, and the service I experienced was poor. If you want a nice location but don't expect much else, I would recommend this hotel. Otherwise, there are better choices.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank stevewilhite
Pisa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

Venue is really large and nicely furnished. The staff is really kind and available and the Hamam (the Spa) adds its proper touch. Only bad thing: paid wi-fi connection. It is not acceptable in 2011 any hotel asking to pay for wifi.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business