“Good modern hotel, comfortable beds and well located relative to the Old City”
Review of Mount Zion Hotel

Mount Zion Hotel
Ranked #21 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I spent 2 nights at the hotel while vacation. The hotel is well situated - about 15 minutes walk to Jaffa Gate and slightly less to Zion Gate. Jerusalem is hilly so expect an undulating walk to get anywhere but this is no fault of the hotel.
My room did not face in the direction of the Old City but other people in my group did have a room with the view - try arrange this as it really adds to the experience.
The bathrooms are clean and newly tiled but the style is quite basic. For experienced travelers you may expect something more trendy - if that's what you are after you need to spend more money and go upmarket. The basic fit out of the bathrooms did not bother me in the least.
The double bed was very comfortable and I really liked that I could open the window in my bedroom and enjoy the fresh air. The backside off the hotel faces over a residential area which is very quiet so there is no traffic noise with the windows open.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
Breakfast is a typical Israeli one, with lots of cheeses, vegetables, salads, and pastries (sweet and savory).
My only complaint with the hotel is the WI-FI policy. Each guest is entitled to 1 hour free WI-FI per day and this is really insufficient if one has work to check on.

I would happily stay at the this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Metalman66

Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed there for two nights with my wife while traveling through Israel. We didn’t eat at the hotel, so I can’t comment on the food. It’s about a 15-minute walk to the Jaffa Gate and also about 15 minutes to the German Colony (really nice restaurants and night life there). The walk to the Jaffa Gate is all uphill, so it seems longer than it actually is. The rooms were nice and clean. The hotel was built in the side of a mountain, so the street level (on the lobby side) is actually on the sixth floor. Interesting layout because the rooms are below the lobby. There’s a parking lot across the street from the hotel, which was easy and seemed abundant.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cnate22
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Last stop on my 1st trip to Israel with a small group. Hotel is older building, with rooms
extending down a steep hillside. Lobby & dining room on floor 6. My room on floor 2. Room
was compact but adequate with wardrobe space and hangers for my clothes. Floorspace
ample enough to do my stretching exercises. Unplugged noisy refrigerator. Found ONE
outlet to charge my electric toothbrush. It wasn't in the bathroom. Jerusalem is very hilly
so getting to anything nearby will probably involve a climb. Breakfast, morning newspaper
and quiet garden patio outside my room were appreciated. Staff gave incorrect details on
some local sites so be skeptical. Immediate hot water and large towels in bathroom.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We were supposed to stay 6 nights, but left as soon as we could. Hotel is old and sad, especially the breakfast area. The supposed on-site restaurant was always empty with exposed wiring. Our room was funky looking, but no plugs for portable phone or computer. Bathroom was smelly and musty, with no shower curtain, so any attempt to shower resulted in a mini-flood. Location is really not conducive to walking, which is always a highlight in Jerusalem. Our first morning, we were so sad to be stuck there for our one-week vacation, that we checked out and went to the David Citadel Hotel. Mt. Zion Hotel manager refused to return any of our 3-night deposit (US$1200), but we were still happy to be out of the place despite the cost

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Don322
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Pros: Lovely rooms (especially the old stone walled ones), accommodating staff, excellent breakfast buffet with daily newspaper, beautiful gardens/pool area that are much prettier than the legendary King David, gorgeous city views
Cons: a good 15-20 walk to the Old City, mostly uphill and no free wifi (free use of computers in business center though).

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This is an historic building that seems to be built into the side of one of the many hills in this area. If you have the right room, at the right location in the hotel you will have a great view of the wall of the Old City. The lobby is located on the sixth floor, the entrance, and most rooms are on the floors below but still elevated above the valley below. Rooms can vary from wonderful and atmospheric to dark, drab and small. My room, on my recent September visit, was a good size with a nice view from the 2nd floor. However, there are bars over the arched windows at that level and the room furnishings feel a bit tired. It was quite clean, with good mattresses. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I had during two weeks in Israel and the staff was very helpful and friendly. I would stay there again but be selective about which room is offered.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that directly faces the Old City, is above the second floor and has soon floor space...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fiennes
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I spent several days at the Mt. Zion Hotel and was consistently impressed with the kindness and efficiency of the staff, the unpretentious beauty of the hotel, and the amazing views of the Old City. Breakfast was a splendid buffet. Others in my group were disappointed at how cold the pool was; I didn't try it. I appreciated the peacefulness and quiet of my room and didn't mind the trek to the Old City--but wish I'd had a better map for points of access to the Old City.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a view of the Old City, you may not even want to leave.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends