“The worst experience EVER!!!”
Review of Mount Zion Hotel

Mount Zion Hotel
Ranked #20 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Where do I begin. Let’s start with we took two rooms in the hotel (they upgraded one of the rooms..more like downgraded) THE ROOM SMELLED OF MOLD OR SEWAGE!!!.We begged to switch the room and they said they were full. We were supposed to be there for 6 nights and left after 4 because we couldn’t take it!!! The mini bars/fridge DIDNT WORK. My daughter got a nasty rash from sleeping in the bed . They had the “engineer” come and empty some sewage pipe of some sort which was next to the room and change the filter in the AC unit that still didn’t work. Then the answer from the management was to send housekeeping and housekeeping literally came with a bottle of fabreeze and sprayed 4 little sprays. The front desk was rude Hannan just brushed it off and Samuel Shoham was an Pompous Moron who need to learn what it means to be in the hospitality industry. The AC barely worked(not fun in the summer in Israel!!). The furnishing are worn down, the bathrooms are very old. My son was at the pool which was ok; he comes to me with his foot dripping blood he stepped on glass at the pool...so did another kid the next day. I would NEVER recommend anyone stay at this hotel it is a 2.5 star at best!!! I had told mngmt of all the problems from day one they ended up giving me one night for each room off( I told them I should not have had to pay for the room that had a sewage /mold issue, but just for the room that didn’t have a sewage smell) Irit Gazit the manager was rude and also MUST go to school to learn how to be in the hospitality business. We stayed at 5 different hotels during our trip(including the Leonardo in Jerusalem) and all were great with the exception of the Mount Zion. If you are considering staying at the mount Zion I would tell you are better off sleeping in Gaza.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Travelingman1313
There are newer reviews for Mount Zion Hotel

Reviewed 15 August 2010

While other hotels in Jerusalem have an international feel about them and would not be out of place in any other city in the World, the Mount Zion Hotel has a special charm all of its own. We arrived from the airport at about 4.30 in the morning and our room was ready and waiting for us. with a view towards the walls of the Old City as the sun rose. What else could we ask for? A delightful breakfast each morning, sometimes in the air conditioned breakfast room and sometimes on the open terrace. A sort walk from the restaurants and coffee shops in the German Colony and an equally short walk past the Sultan's Pool and up the steep pathway into the Old City itself through the Zion Gate.
A special mention for Michal, one of the reception staff, who took the time to help me reactivate my Israeli cellphone that had not been used for some time. It was thanks to her that Orange eventually let me use my old number again. Thanks Michal!
Beware of many of the taxi drivers who treat all guests from the hotel as 'friers' who should be taken for as much money as possible. Always insist that they switch on their meters and if they won't, just get out of the cab and wait for one that will. Check what they charge you on the meter receipt. Don't pay any supposed 'telephone request charge' that they put on if the hotel didn't call the cab for you.
Also, why does the hotel, like other hotels in Israel, insist on charging exorbitant amounts for wifi access? If you want wifi for free just go up to Emek Refaim in the German Colony, buy a coffee and browse to your hearty's content as part of the service.
Apart from the grouse about wifi access, if you want a beautiful, warm and welcoming hotel as your base for a visits to the Holy Sites, choose the Mount Zion. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Superpharm
Reviewed 9 August 2010

The general shabiness of the reception should have been a warning - DO NOT ENTER. Once you have made the fatal error of checking in you will be sent down to you room (the reception being on the top floor). We could see the Old City from our room if we leant out of the 5th floor window and gripped the frame whilst looking 88 degrees to the left.

The real triumph is the beds. Ours would be ideal for a pygmy or midget couple, but for the average European the bed is simply too short. Both of us had our feet hanging over the end. And the pillows - oy - two huge lumps of synthetic something which would have been fine for propping your bubba up in bed whilst you fed her soup, but were not designed to induce sleep. When I asked for a feather pillow I was told non was available. And that's a hotel?

The bathrooms have seen better days (perhaps 30 years +/- ago). We debated whether it was apricot or avocado; ultimately I gave in due to colourblindness and the fact that her indooors is always right. Either way, they would have benefitted from a sink that discharged itself with moderate speed and a shower that actually worked.

Would I come here again? Only if I lost everything and they were giving away rooms.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank skiloverLondon
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I highly recommend the citadel rooms, very large 2 bathrooms and great views of the old city. The pool is very nice and the hotel very convenient to the old city and also german colony. the staff was very friendly and internet access reasonable. We also enjoyed the large breakfast buffet in the morning with a beautiful patio overlooking the old city.

Reviewed 30 July 2010

We did not knowingly book this hotel. It was part of our Gate One travel package. Gate one rated it as 4 stars . We were there for four nights. Our friends on the same tour had recently refurbished rooms - our room was dirty, old, had chipped nasty furniture in it, mold all over the shower fixtures, and bird poop all over our "balcony" outside. Tried to get it changed but were told to come back tomorrow when people checked out - explained we were on a tour and we wouldn't be there when people were checking out- front desk said - manager will contact you - THAT NEVER HAPPENED ... tried again – but hotel was “booked.”

But, even dirty I could deal with- what I couldn't handle was the roach that ran across the table at breakfast. Then, on my way back to my room, I saw a few more dead roach carcasses. The entire time we were there, they never even bothered to clean the dead bodies from the stairwells.

Pros it's within walking distance to the Old town - and : they did have great breakfasts - maybe the roaches got mixed into the food during the night and that's why they were so tasty ? :) However, their dinners and the food at the bar were expensive and lackluster.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ldtc2
Reviewed 27 July 2010

The hotel location excellent. 20 minute walk to the Jewish quarter of the old city and
to west Jerusalem. We stayed there for a week.
Beautiful decorated oriental rooms, and fabulous swimming pool.
Cons : rude staff at the reception desk, and for breakfast.
badly washed , chipped coffee cups. When we ordered an evening meal
the food was not up to standard. The head waiter whispered in my ear for a tip !
Should find out for better hotel deals in Jerusalem.

Reviewed 19 July 2010

Althought I consult reviews on TripAdvisor regularly, I rarely feel compelled to write a review, but our stay at The Mount Zion Hotel overlooking the Old City in Jerusalem was exceptional. From our first spectacular views of the Old City through the lovely arched windows, continuing into the well-appointed rooms, and breathtaking pool area, we were delighted to be guests of this special hotel. Breakfasts were delicious and robust (mind-boggling selections at the buffet - and all wonderful and fresh!), and the location is the best in Jerusalem. We loved sunsets and sunrises there, and the calm and beauty that the hotel offers guests. This was a particularly important trip for my family - it was celebrating our 13 year-old daughter's Bat Mitzvah at the Western Wall - and my husband, daughter, 10-year old son and I all agreed that this was our most favorite of all the many properties we have stayed with in Jerusalem. The staff was friendly and helpful, and Michal at the front-desk was always a delight! I strongly recommend the Mount Zion Hotel to my friends and business colleagues! I can't wait to stay there again and again!