Mount Zion Hotel
US$562
US$521
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
City Center Jerusalem(Jerusalem)(Great Value!)
US$157
1,202 results
All reviewsturkish batheye hospitaloutdoor jacuzziold cityjaffa gatesteam roomtrain stationstone wallsminute walkbeautiful hotelemek refaimbar mitzvahgerman colonywithin walking distancebit datedan upgradehot dishes
Reviewed 3 September 2010

The Old City feel of this historic hotel is worth the stay. Gorgeous view of Mt. Olives, very old Turkish bath & remarkable breakfast buffet (w/exception of wait staff) fulfilled my
expectations. However, we had to always request extra amenities for bathroom. And we
waited 4 days for them to come and fix a wobbling toilet seat. Service industry is not Israel's strong point in general and this proved it. Also, two nights in a row, our top sheets were missing from our beds. Very questionable maid service.

Location is walking distance to Jaffa Gate and shopping in Mamila, etc.

We would return to this charming place, but there is no free wi-fi! It is $10 for a 24 hr. period.

1  Thank RulaNYC
Reviewed 30 August 2010

This hotel was more than the sum of its parts.

Depending on what you are looking for - this hotel might work really well or might not meet your needs.

We traveled with extended family. The rooms really varied. Some rooms felt like they were built into old walls. Our room was not particularly interesting.

The shower water was fine - but the shower itself was uncomfortable getting into in our room.

So why did I list this as excellent. The location was great. 15 minute walk to Zion Gate. 15 minutes from some nice restaurants in the Germany Colony area. Across the street from the Begin Historical Center.

The spa had very good massages - but also had included a giant turkish bath available to all hotel guests. Plus the hotel pool was dramatic and nice.

The front desk was helpful on their recommendations.

It was also a unique hotel - it didn't feel like a cookie cutter chain hotel.

The breakfast wasn't as good as breakfast in some other Israeli hotels.

1  Thank Richard10024
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Where do I begin. Let’s start with we took two rooms in the hotel (they upgraded one of the rooms..more like downgraded) THE ROOM SMELLED OF MOLD OR SEWAGE!!!.We begged to switch the room and they said they were full. We were supposed to be there for 6 nights and left after 4 because we couldn’t take it!!! The mini bars/fridge DIDNT WORK. My daughter got a nasty rash from sleeping in the bed . They had the “engineer” come and empty some sewage pipe of some sort which was next to the room and change the filter in the AC unit that still didn’t work. Then the answer from the management was to send housekeeping and housekeeping literally came with a bottle of fabreeze and sprayed 4 little sprays. The front desk was rude Hannan just brushed it off and Samuel Shoham was an Pompous Moron who need to learn what it means to be in the hospitality industry. The AC barely worked(not fun in the summer in Israel!!). The furnishing are worn down, the bathrooms are very old. My son was at the pool which was ok; he comes to me with his foot dripping blood he stepped on glass at the pool...so did another kid the next day. I would NEVER recommend anyone stay at this hotel it is a 2.5 star at best!!! I had told mngmt of all the problems from day one they ended up giving me one night for each room off( I told them I should not have had to pay for the room that had a sewage /mold issue, but just for the room that didn’t have a sewage smell) Irit Gazit the manager was rude and also MUST go to school to learn how to be in the hospitality business. We stayed at 5 different hotels during our trip(including the Leonardo in Jerusalem) and all were great with the exception of the Mount Zion. If you are considering staying at the mount Zion I would tell you are better off sleeping in Gaza.

4  Thank Travelingman1313
Reviewed 15 August 2010

While other hotels in Jerusalem have an international feel about them and would not be out of place in any other city in the World, the Mount Zion Hotel has a special charm all of its own. We arrived from the airport at about 4.30 in the morning and our room was ready and waiting for us. with a view towards the walls of the Old City as the sun rose. What else could we ask for? A delightful breakfast each morning, sometimes in the air conditioned breakfast room and sometimes on the open terrace. A sort walk from the restaurants and coffee shops in the German Colony and an equally short walk past the Sultan's Pool and up the steep pathway into the Old City itself through the Zion Gate.
A special mention for Michal, one of the reception staff, who took the time to help me reactivate my Israeli cellphone that had not been used for some time. It was thanks to her that Orange eventually let me use my old number again. Thanks Michal!
Beware of many of the taxi drivers who treat all guests from the hotel as 'friers' who should be taken for as much money as possible. Always insist that they switch on their meters and if they won't, just get out of the cab and wait for one that will. Check what they charge you on the meter receipt. Don't pay any supposed 'telephone request charge' that they put on if the hotel didn't call the cab for you.
Also, why does the hotel, like other hotels in Israel, insist on charging exorbitant amounts for wifi access? If you want wifi for free just go up to Emek Refaim in the German Colony, buy a coffee and browse to your hearty's content as part of the service.
Apart from the grouse about wifi access, if you want a beautiful, warm and welcoming hotel as your base for a visits to the Holy Sites, choose the Mount Zion. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Superpharm
Reviewed 9 August 2010

The general shabiness of the reception should have been a warning - DO NOT ENTER. Once you have made the fatal error of checking in you will be sent down to you room (the reception being on the top floor). We could see the Old City from our room if we leant out of the 5th floor window and gripped the frame whilst looking 88 degrees to the left.

The real triumph is the beds. Ours would be ideal for a pygmy or midget couple, but for the average European the bed is simply too short. Both of us had our feet hanging over the end. And the pillows - oy - two huge lumps of synthetic something which would have been fine for propping your bubba up in bed whilst you fed her soup, but were not designed to induce sleep. When I asked for a feather pillow I was told non was available. And that's a hotel?

The bathrooms have seen better days (perhaps 30 years +/- ago). We debated whether it was apricot or avocado; ultimately I gave in due to colourblindness and the fact that her indooors is always right. Either way, they would have benefitted from a sink that discharged itself with moderate speed and a shower that actually worked.

Would I come here again? Only if I lost everything and they were giving away rooms.

3  Thank skiloverLondon