“OK for a second level Jerusalem hotel”
Review of Mount Zion Hotel

Mount Zion Hotel
Ranked #20 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Just finished 8 days at this hotel, my first visit here. I've been to Israel 37 times, and have stayed in hotels (like Ramada) that are much worse than the Mt. Zion, despite 5 star rating. Most of the other reviewers have focused upon negatives, for the most part. I"m a "half-glass full" type of reviewer so let me concentrate on what's good about this hotel (but I'll also include the downsides):

1. Location - despite moderate hills, you are within 15 minutes or less walking time to downtown Jerusalem, the Old City, German Colony, and Inbal Hotel area.
2. Breakfast -- Awesome choices, fresh everything (!); delicious; wonderful "eggs lady"; and an occasional customized salad bar (not every day) where they make your salad in front of you; fresh squeezed OJ; a large patio where you can sit outside if you wish; customized espresso maker; and on and on. Eat a big breakfast and you can eat small salads the rest of the day.
3. Staff -- they really do try to be responsive, where it's possible to do so. Don't expect an upgrade when you haven't paid for it. Jerusalem is full of tourists and the hotels are full.
4. Fitness Room -- good equipment. I got a full workout in every day, and in each case I was all alone. True, I had to adjust my workout time to 5 pm in order to do so. I saw lots of people making massage appointments and enjoying the Hamam. I did not have time for this.
5. Wi-Fi (see also negatives) -- they have a good wi-fi availability, and if you're staying for a long visit, it makes economic sense to buy a full week of coverage for $50. Yes, I'd like it to be free, but there are few, if any, Jerusalem hotels offering free wi-fi. Coverage was good.
6. Quiet -- I had no problem getting a full night's sleep from a sound perspective. The beds are hard but that's true in lots of hotels in Israel. I enjoyed being able to get up and make myself a cup of instant coffee (bring your Starbucks Via and you'll be in heaven!).

Weak Points:
1. The A/C doesn't work in winter time. It's only blowing outside air. Open your windows during the daytime, and regulate the temperature that way, until bedtime, then close them and put on outside air on low to keep comfortable. It worked for me, what can I say.
2. The bar area is not well managed. They only have one bartender/waiter. Once you get food ordered, however, it comes promptly, efficiently and in huge portions. Quite tasty.
3. Wi-fi: My colleagues and I all experienced a problem of wi-fi "drops" every time we downloaded or uploaded documents. After 2 days of declaring the service to be the worst in the world, I discovered the trick to fix it. If you go to "Control Panel", "Internet Options", "Security", and DELETE the check mark in the box "Enable Protected Mode", this solves the problem completely. Of course, I had to figure this out myself. The hotel didn't have a clue. Beware, however, that once you do this, you must limit your browsing to trusted websites only.
4. Pool was empty - not open in winter. They have a nice outdoor jacuzzi, however, which always seemed to be empty. Take out a glass of wine or beer and enjoy.
5. TV station choices are modest and the TV is old technology - but again, this is true in most Israeli hotels. No CNN. Only Fox News. Some Israeli stations broadcast English language movies/shows, but not much.

Down the street is a nice restaurant called Lavan, at the Cinemateque Theatre complex. Good wines and a nice selection of dairy/fish items. The Begin Museum across the street is well worth the visit (with a small, quality restaurant and wine bar inside).

All in all, I do recommend this hotel IF the price is right (as compared to others nearby).

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank mshbnyehud
Write a ReviewReviews (1,155)

Reviewed 4 November 2010

Except for a stellar breakfast and an easy 10-15 min walk to the Jaffa Gate, it fell short on every other marker. The photos on the website are beautiful and exaggerated. The room we received faced the back, and it was explained to us that only the Citadel rooms have views, which is fair enough. However, we were also told that only the suites have double beds! We had two twin beds that were joined together in a very unseamless way. The rug was filthy and the towels had holes in them. The bathtub was chipped all along the border and the shower curtain, though clean, looked cheap. The turndown service in our case consisted of placing clean towels, but not even placing the pillows in their place. The gym is only open from 8am to 2 pm and 4 pm to 9pm, and is quite limited. The pool is only open in the summer, and apparently so is air conditioning. We were told that this season was not warm and therefore we should not worry that our air conditioner made terrible noise because there was no AC anyway as it was not hot enough. However the room felt hot and muggy. What you get is definitely not what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trippped
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We stayed here two nights on a luxury Israel tour. I read on TA that there were issues, and the tour company assured me that it was fine. Upon check in the A/C did not work, the carpet was worn and stained, there were many many cockroaches and the breakfast was just adequate, nothing special like the three other Israeli breakfasts on our tour. The management did not try to do anything, and out wonderful tour company, Gama Tours moved us to the David Citadel.

The pool area was mildewed and small, the layout fo the hotel is very strange and requires a lot of walking and steps to get to your room, the threw us out at the Shabbat Dinner on our tour which was very cramped and in their small dining room. We were asked to leave as they wanted to go home.

There is a lot of mold and mildew, and the plumbing did not work and sink and showers were very stained. The location is also very poor. IT is a far walk to the center of Jerusalem.

If you are looking for a budget hotel and can get a great deal, then you will be satisfied with this hotel, as it ias a two star at best, not a 4 or 5 star as they claim.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank J H
Reviewed 15 October 2010

My future neiphew who lived in Israel for a year had suggest a hotel not far away. After much research I talked him into booking the Mt. Zion. The hotel is great and the wedding on the terrace was fantastic.. Beautiful, clean, nice views and friendly staff. The back of the hotel is secluded so it's a nice place to relax, take a swim or just get away from the traffic and the city. For a late night bite to eat there is a great Italian restaurant just down hill a couple of blocks away next to a movie theatre.

Minutes away from the market and downtown this historic hotel is a must!.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Latespot
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We have been to Jerusalem many times but this was our first time at the Mt. Zion and it was our best stay ever. Irit, the general director and Michal, the concierge gave us great personal attention. Food was excellent and service friendly. Important to check what room you are getting as they vary a lot. The clientele is eclectic and the location (unbelievable view over Mt Zion and the Hinom Valley) is constantly amazing. What other hotel has its own private museum, a hamam (steam room) and full length pool that is never crowded?

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank DrMichelle44
Reviewed 1 October 2010

we just hat a wonderfull time in this hotel we feeld like king david and prinsses sara even our mum and dad normally our serving staff hat some nice days of becaus of the wonderfull peolpe woking her

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2010

The hotel's location and service were its strong points. The staff were extremely pleasant & helpful in every way. Breakfast was varied and plentiful. The views from the lobby bar / lounge area were wonderful. The large pool was a welcome respite after a day's sightseeing. The nearby Lavan restaurant was good value for both lunch or dinner. For more of a treat use the nearby Hachatzer restaurant. The Old City is only a 10 minute walk away. For our 4 days of touring we used a Palestinian Christian guide, Sam Salem ( guide.holy@gmail.com ) who was excellent, is good value for money and comes highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends