Just finished 8 days at this hotel, my first visit here. I've been to Israel 37 times, and have stayed in hotels (like Ramada) that are much worse than the Mt. Zion, despite 5 star rating. Most of the other reviewers have focused upon negatives, for the most part. I"m a "half-glass full" type of reviewer so let me concentrate on what's good about this hotel (but I'll also include the downsides):
1. Location - despite moderate hills, you are within 15 minutes or less walking time to downtown Jerusalem, the Old City, German Colony, and Inbal Hotel area.
2. Breakfast -- Awesome choices, fresh everything (!); delicious; wonderful "eggs lady"; and an occasional customized salad bar (not every day) where they make your salad in front of you; fresh squeezed OJ; a large patio where you can sit outside if you wish; customized espresso maker; and on and on. Eat a big breakfast and you can eat small salads the rest of the day.
3. Staff -- they really do try to be responsive, where it's possible to do so. Don't expect an upgrade when you haven't paid for it. Jerusalem is full of tourists and the hotels are full.
4. Fitness Room -- good equipment. I got a full workout in every day, and in each case I was all alone. True, I had to adjust my workout time to 5 pm in order to do so. I saw lots of people making massage appointments and enjoying the Hamam. I did not have time for this.
5. Wi-Fi (see also negatives) -- they have a good wi-fi availability, and if you're staying for a long visit, it makes economic sense to buy a full week of coverage for $50. Yes, I'd like it to be free, but there are few, if any, Jerusalem hotels offering free wi-fi. Coverage was good.
6. Quiet -- I had no problem getting a full night's sleep from a sound perspective. The beds are hard but that's true in lots of hotels in Israel. I enjoyed being able to get up and make myself a cup of instant coffee (bring your Starbucks Via and you'll be in heaven!).
1. The A/C doesn't work in winter time. It's only blowing outside air. Open your windows during the daytime, and regulate the temperature that way, until bedtime, then close them and put on outside air on low to keep comfortable. It worked for me, what can I say.
2. The bar area is not well managed. They only have one bartender/waiter. Once you get food ordered, however, it comes promptly, efficiently and in huge portions. Quite tasty.
3. Wi-fi: My colleagues and I all experienced a problem of wi-fi "drops" every time we downloaded or uploaded documents. After 2 days of declaring the service to be the worst in the world, I discovered the trick to fix it. If you go to "Control Panel", "Internet Options", "Security", and DELETE the check mark in the box "Enable Protected Mode", this solves the problem completely. Of course, I had to figure this out myself. The hotel didn't have a clue. Beware, however, that once you do this, you must limit your browsing to trusted websites only.
4. Pool was empty - not open in winter. They have a nice outdoor jacuzzi, however, which always seemed to be empty. Take out a glass of wine or beer and enjoy.
5. TV station choices are modest and the TV is old technology - but again, this is true in most Israeli hotels. No CNN. Only Fox News. Some Israeli stations broadcast English language movies/shows, but not much.
Down the street is a nice restaurant called Lavan, at the Cinemateque Theatre complex. Good wines and a nice selection of dairy/fish items. The Begin Museum across the street is well worth the visit (with a small, quality restaurant and wine bar inside).
All in all, I do recommend this hotel IF the price is right (as compared to others nearby).
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mount Zion Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mount Zion Jerusalem
- Hotel Mount Zion
- Mount Zion Hotel Jerusalem