“Excellence in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The King David

The King David
Ranked #8 of 98 Hotels in Jerusalem
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellence in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed here for my partners 50th birthday and the King David certainly rose to the occasion. From the first contact at reception to the last farewell of our 4 days stay nothing could have made us happier to stay here. We were upgraded from a superior old town view room to a much larger room with terrace and sitting area giving great views of the old town walls. A truly lovely place to sit and read, chat and chill. We have to mention Maya the guest relations manager who contributed so much to our happiness at the Hotel. She arranged a celebratory cake to delivered to our room and a small but lovely gift for my partner on departure. She was attentive but not too intrusive and always had a warm smile. The staff generally were warm and friendly and our housekeeper was especially kind when a glass was accidentally smashed on the terrace by an unexpected gust of wind. The food was good with a memorable Shabbat meal in the main dining room with large family groups out celebrating Purim holiday. Location can't be faulted and the area around the hotel felt safe and is clean and tidy. A perfect location for walking to the old town yet far enough away to escape and relax in sumptuous surroundings. Thank you King David for such a wonderful stay. If we return to jerusalem... There's only one place we'd consider staying... Here!

Room Tip: Old town view is worth the extra.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Very good , 6 stars location and hotel "ambient" with number of "plates/ pictures" of famous guests.

It seems that reception / lobby / restaurants are doing its best to help to the guests. View from the rooms window at Sion Mountain and Old City is just terrific.

Some problems during the stay :

1. My Magazin (der Spiegel) was lost / stolen when I went to the WC and asked concierge to keep an eye on it. The hotel didn't excused for this and refused to view together the CCTV ?!

2. If have 2 hours "troubles" with my MasterCard. The hotel management agreed to wait for money transfer, but blocked my rooms with my belonges and medicine!!!

After I complained about it, the chief of security of 5 stars hotels, tried to kick me off the hotel to the street, in order to let me wait there. Just unbelievable.

In order to stop me complaining, Manager on Duty, just called the police, and asked them to arrest me!) For Good sake, my card was reblocked by a bank 10 minutes after police arrival, and I happy left this hotel, payed and promised never ever stay there.

Wish you all the best in the capital of the World - Jerusalem!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank DmitryDnar
DanHotelsIsrael, General Manager at The King David, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Guest,

This incident is, of course, well-remembered by all members of our team, as it is the only such instance in many years in which we have been forced to call the police. The description in your post is a relatively accurate one – partially: indeed an issue arose with payment for the room, however this was not the factor that led us to call police to assist in dealing with the situation. For your benefit and every guests discretion, we spare other readers the actual reasons for having to deal with the authorities, as we certainly feel, whatever the situation, it is surely inappropriate to expose details about our guests.

To our delight, when the police arrived they were able to take care of not only the problem for which they were originally called to the hotel for, but also any payment issues. Many guests who were at the lobby at the time still recall this unusual event, and remember it as a unique, perhaps even amusing one.
We were surprised and delighted that you have chosen to compliment our hotel; and we certainly do not take your kind words for granted. Nevertheless, in this case, we wish you a pleasant return trip to Israel wherever else you decide to stay.

The Management
Meyreuil, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Spanning the length of the ground floor of the King David Hotel is a white marble stripe with hundreds of signature reproductions of the famous guests who have stayed there - presidents, kings, generals, movie stars, musicians, rock stars, and the founders of Israel -- almost anyone you can think of has been a guest in the King David. And almost everything that can be said about this great hotel has already been said. Therefore I limit my review to my own personal experience of spending 11 nights in a handsome mini-suite on an upper floor overlooking the old city of Jerusalem. It was an unforgettable time, and I confess I'm in love with the hotel. To be specific, I was upgraded to the mini-suite which well furnished, with comfortable seating, a desk, a huge flat screen TV with many English language channels, a separate bedroom with a king-size bed with plush pillows and a sliding door to the sitting room, and another television. The bathroom had a large tub, a toilet enclosed behind glass doors, a full pressure shower behind another set of glass doors, and another television inside the mirror! Breakfast is astounding, with a vast selection of foods and a-la-carte orders. Room service is fast and elegant, and the menu varied. The restaurants are kosher, but never unsatisfactory. At Shabbot on Fridays the dining room is restricted to earlier hours and to an approved menu. You are invited to attend, and I did twice, and the cuisine was excellent. The tables are filled with families who often sing traditional songs among themselves. It was a joyful experience. The hotel has a gourmet restaurant called La Regence which I shall review separately, but make a note that it is well worth while. Also to be noted is the health club, the swimming pool, the gardens, the garden restaurant, the bar, and the ever-helpful staff and concierges. Anything you might need can be arranged. If there is a negative side, it was corrected during my stay, and that was making the WiFi free throughout the hotel. I not only want to return to this hotel, I want to live there! Of course my room, with its beautiful view of the Old City by night and day, has raised my expectations of hotel stays to a new level. You haven't lived completely until you have seen the sun dawn over Jerusalem.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Old City are preferred, but views of the New City are not disappointing.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JoeBaileyCole
DanHotelsIsrael, Guest Relations Manager at The King David, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Mr. Cole,

We truly appreciate your very comprehensive review of your recent stay at The King David Hotel. It is a delight to the entire management and staff that we met your expectations and left you with only positive feelings about your time spent here.

We agree with you that no other luxury hotel in the city, has such a magical view of The Old City. Words cannot describe the atmosphere of this view from one of our rooms – especially during a sunrise, as you mentioned.

In your review, you mentioned a number aspects of our hotel that you appreciate, such as the signatures embedded in the flooring of the lobby's hall. This flooring is in the process of being replaced with a new one, as many new signatures must be added. I hope that we can welcome you in the near future so we may hear your opinion on the project, and of course to provide you with the same high level of service and standards you have come to know over your 11-day stay. The King David will always remain your home away from home!

Joshua Merl
The King David Hotel, Jerusalem
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel is a real beuty ! located perfecly in center jerusalem and near the old city
got a room with great view!
we were very setesfied !
only thing we were not happy and that is why the lower rank, the consierge service,
they sent us twice to bad restaurants that we had to go form them in the middle of the meal
I wish they would use tripAdvisor ranking to recommand restaruants - the ones which are ranked here are truly wonderful!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sidaod r
DanHotelsIsrael, Guest Relations Manager at The King David, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Sidaod,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of your stay with us; it is always through guests comments that we are able to develop our offerings.
Throughout the hotel, as you felt and mentioned, every effort is made to ensure the highest levels of guest experience down to the very smallest finer details; it is always a shame however if a guest feels that any area or team members let us down.
While our concierge rarely receives any negative feedback on the restaurants we suggest, they always appreciate hearing our guests opinions for future reference. It is truly a regret that you did not enjoy something that we had suggested, however no fault can lay with the hotel for your unsatisfactory experience.
We'd hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again and invite you to also contemplate dining in our very own La Regence, no finer service in town.
With best regards,
Josh Merl
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

For the past 6 visits to Jerusalem on business I have been booked into another hotel in the east; so to find myself at the King David made a surprising change. First
impressions are good with pleasant, friendly reception and concierge. Unfortunately on returning from my excellent room I am confronted by older reception staff who are happy to chat on the phone rather than deal with a hotel guest. This I can tolerate until it occurs on two seperate occasions during my stay. Overall I loved the hotel experience and would
stay here again knowing what to expect.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank LaVeritae
DanHotelsIsrael, Guest Relations Manager at The King David, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear LaVeritae,

Thank you for sharing with us your feelings of your recent stay with us, here at The King David Hotel; guest feedback is invaluable for our constant bid to delight.
Throughout a hotel as prestigious as ours, of course our every effort is made to enhance a guests experience by service and small gestures. While it seems that the majority of your stay was enjoyable, there was mention to some aspects of less pleasing service.
All team members undergo intensive training in their respective roles, so we have been sure to take on board your comments for further discussions during training exercises; I thank you for highlighting this to us now and implore you to make mention of any discomfort to a senior member of staff while still in house in the future.
Lastly, we are delighted to discover that the remainder of your stay was pleasant enough to bid your return. We will be looking forward to welcome you back at the next opportunity.

Joshua Merl
New York, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is the iconic hotel of Israel, with a commanding presence in a great location. The public rooms are impressive and the history of this hotel runs parallel to that of the State of Israel. I enjoyed watching the videos on the hotel's history on the room TV. The problem is that service is uneven.

On the plus side, the breakfast buffet was excellent and the servers were really great. The same is true in the hotel's La Regence Restaurant, where I had dinner. The older gentleman in the Oriental Bar is a professional, and when he wasn't there, the younger man was most hospitable. The assistant concierge James was helpful. The room itself was pleasant with a nice view of the old city.

On the minus side, housekeeping was substandard. On my first day, I found multiple hairs in the bed. Management expressed genuine concern and apologized profusely--so I considered the matter "case closed"......except that it happened again 3 days later. This time, I decided that as I was almost done my stay, I wouldn't make another fuss. I'd already raised the issue before and I was done with it. I experienced awful service in the terrace restaurant (The King's Garden). I went for lunch and there were only 2 other tables with people. Despite this, four staff members stood looking right at me, chatting amongst themselves, as I waited 15 minutes without anyone taking my order. Rather than walk out, I decided to wave one of them over. After flagging them down to take my order, and getting a nasty scowl for the effort, the meal was actually quite nice. The service in the formal restaurant La Regence was the exact opposite. They were most welcoming.

Another sour note came when I asked the concierge on duty (not the head concierge) whether I should order a taxi for the morning I was leaving for the airport. He said I shouldn't bother. But when I checked back the next day, the head concierge said that it's routine to order a taxi in advance and that I definitely should do it. Finally, I was supposed to get a paper each morning, but I had to keep calling the front desk as it wasn't delivered half the time. Each time I called, the front desk staff member said they'd take care of it for the rest of the stay.

Maybe I'm spoiled by staying at top hotels in other countries, but I believe that the King David fails to live up to its full potential. Management does step in to resolve problems. But they'd do better to exercise greater quality control so the problems don't occur in the first place. Either it's hard to get good help in Jerusalem, or there are a number of staff members who believe that they're in the driver's seat and it's up to the guest to impress them. That's absurd, and if a top flight operator opens up in competition, this hotel will lose out.

I gave 4 stars, because it's a great, old hotel--but service could be improved. Overall, I'm glad I stayed here for the experience.

Room Tip: Definitely old city view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank john23
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

The King David combines early twentieth century elegance and glamour with dignified modern Israeli efficiency. Bedrooms and public rooms are elegant, spacious and restrained with much dark wood and many soft lights. Furnishings are perfect and attention to detail is found everywhere. Service is faultless. One young man called Sharif could teach courses on how to look after guests. The location could not be improved. I was delighted with the simple approach to internet connectivity: it's free with no fussy passwords. All these things (and innumerable others) combine to make the King David an exceptional hotel. They are not exaggerating when they say it is one of the world's finest hotels. You will pay a lot to stay here. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Iain J
DanHotelsIsrael, General Manager at The King David, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Ian J,

Thank you for sharing feedback of your recent stay with us at The King David Hotel. We are delighted to read that the hotel's décor, service, location and amenities made your stay all the more enjoyable.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future, and hope to surprise you with even better amenities and guest services upon your next stay.

Best regards,