“I had to argue with the person behind the desk”

Jerusalem Gold Hotel
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Jerusalem
Chicago, Illinois
“I had to argue with the person behind the desk”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

I do like the decor of the hotel, it's very nicely done! The rooms look nice and are very clean! The problem I had was with a rude staff member. We had three in a room, two beds and a pull out. The pull out was not pulled out or made (it was a chair that pulled out into a cot). There were no sheets or pillows. I called to the front desk at 7 pm when we arrived and asked for them. I had dinner, came back at 8, and called again. He said it would be a few minutes. OK, no problem. At 9 I decided to go downstairs and ask in person. Still a few minutes. At 10 I called down and now, only 2 minutes. At 11 I went downstairs and asked someone to help me that spoke Hebrew. The front desk man yelled at the person I asked to help. He told him that I was being a nuisance and just "needed to wait" and asked "WHY I couldn't wait upstairs." I told him I couldn't wait because I was sick and tired and needed sleep and had called hours ahead of time. FINALLY at 12AM I got the sheets and pillows I needed. Very rude.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Silverwing2332

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Woodstock, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We were "upgraded" to this hotel from the Jerusalem Gate, however it seemed like a downgrade to us. Evening staff was not that helpful or friendly but the morning staff was much better. We asked for extra hangers which never came, although promised.

The hallways were not clean with lots of dirt and misc items on the carpet. Nor was our room any better, with paper from previous occupant and used soap still left on the desk and in the bathroom.
We had reserved a double room, but ended up with two twins pushed together that continually moved around.

Was very hot here (30 degrees) and when we could not get the aircon working we asked for assistance. They told us that the aircon is not working in "the winter". We had the window open, which let in cooler air but was very noisy from the traffic and street cleaners below in the middle of the night. Talked to a manager in the am but his response was "the weather will be cooler tonight."

The hotel is located beside the bus station and in front of the light rail, so this is a benefit. But I would not recommend staying there.

Room Tip: I think one needs to prepare and pay a little extra to get a good room and have an enjoyable experie...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DWVtravel

Travellers are raving about these Jerusalem hotels

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed at the hotel fo 3 days. It was such a joy to feel so welcomed. The stuff was so friendly and sweet. They gave me a feelling of being at home with my family. The hotel was very clean and the food was great. The location is very convenient since is is near the train and the bus station. Yet, it was very quiet. I had a fantastic experience. I will probably go back very soon.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Alexandria, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I picked the hotel because it was inexpensive and near a colleague's. Although there isn't anything to see or do in this part of Jerusalem, it is near the central bus station and the Jaffa tram that goes to the Old City. But walking to the Old City was only 1/2 hour away, past a wonder city market and a good restaurant area (20 minutes walking). Remember that in Israel EVERYTHING closes Friday afternoon until sunset on Saturday, which means no place is open for dinner except the hotels that charge from $50 - $150 for a Shabbat dinner. I ate a power bar and went to bed early. The hotel was filled with group tours, which can be noisy, but the owner still took time to recommend a good restaurant. There are some negatives to be warned about -- the room is not air conditioned (there were controls which didn't do anything), but one can partially open the window (note, however, the street below is noisy). The furniture needs repair (the drawers in the dresser wouldn't slide); a lamp didn't work, there is no hair dryer, the roller for the toilet paper was gone and the room wasn't always tidied up when I returned each evening. Breakfast was adequate, including eggs, two kinds of cheeses, cereal, and citrus fruit - but no meats/fish. My biggest complaint however, was the botched arrangements for the airport. Two days before leaving I arranged for a 4:00 am shuttle to take me to the airport (62 shekels) and I reconfirmed the day before. On my departure date I waited 35 minutes for the shuttle and was then forced to hire a taxi for $92 (that's almost 100 dollars!!! since I didn't have enough shekels by then) when it never arrived and the front desk said it had no place to call to check on it or even see if it had been arranged. This really made me mad -- I felt taken advantage of with no recourse.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Herzliya, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 5 nights and I'm not sure where to begin when it comes to reviewing the Jerusalem Gold hotel. At first, I was hesitant to write a review because thankfully I stayed at the hotel free-of-cost due to an event I was attending and the organization put me up at this hotel. Having said that, there were many times I considered leaving and paying for my own hotel room and probably would have, had there been an availability in a decent place to stay. So yes, I am saying that no I would not stay at this hotel again even if it were free. First of all, the dining staff is incredibly rude and impolite, at one point they kicked out a group of us talking over breakfast because they said breakfast had ended, then the staff that kicked us out sat down to eat right in-front of us. Also, the keys to room stopped working at least once a day and on at least two days, three or four times. When I asked for new keys to the room there were times when no one was at the front desk to assist in giving me a new key at one point I waited 15 minutes for someone to show up. In addition, during the 9 times I asked for a new key, I was never once asked to show proof of I.D. making me wonder if the hotel is really all that secure. Once, all of the keys for all of the rooms on my floor stopped working and the hotel had a staffer on the floor opening doors for people. Anyone could have simply said, this is my room and they would have opened the door. The hotel also charges for internet, which I would have happily paid for if it ever worked. The hotel has ONE iron, and it is located behind the front desk so you must bring down all of your clothes the lobby to iron, and the board they use is dirty. While ironing I heard, a man complaining about the fact that he had spent 100NIS on internet and that it never worked, he asked for his money back and the employee told him there was nothing they could do because they go through a third party. Sorry, I think that is inexcusable. The rooms are tiny, and the beds consist of two small single beds put together, the pillows were comfortable but the beds were not. The meeting rooms also had a perfume odor that was unbearable, if you ever need to meet with anyone do not do it at the hotel. Also, with so many groups coming in and out of this hotel the lobby was always too crowded and elevators worked at a snail rate. The reason why the hotel is getting any stars is because it is right outside the light rail, which gives you easy access to other parts of the city. However from friday afternoon to saturday night the rail shuts down, so you are forced to walk and the rest of the attractions in the city, like the Old City are a good 30-40 min walk. The other reason I gave the hotel any stars is because the lady who cleaned the rooms on our floor was so friendly and nice. Really a gem of a human being.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Isaac A
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

My family and I recently stayed at the Jerusalem Gold Hotel and to say the least, what an amazing stay. Upon arrival, we immediately felt welcomed. The atmosphere was warm and the staff really made us feel comfortable. The room was really nice and everything was clean. Usually you can expect a basic boring breakfast with hotels, not here. The breakfast was totally satisfying and a great way to start our days in Jerusalem. This Hotel was in the middle of everything and close to the bus station which was really convenient. I am so happy that I chose to bring my family to this hotel, it really was a fantastic experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I just recently got back from 4 nights in this Hotel. I was traveling with a large group and the hotel was fully booked. While the rooms where adequate they were quite small with just the bare minimum. No real reason to complain except for the fact that when we got our room the bathroom was flooded and it took them a couple of hours and after several irrate calls from us to send someone up to clean it. In the room of one of our other travel companions they found dirty underwear in the bathroom. The rooms also seem to be of different sizes and configuration despite all of us paying the same price. Also during our stay the elevators seemed to be malfunctioning so on several occasions I took the stairs up to the 8th floor where our room was located. It was either that or wait 20 mins. Food was nothing spectacular as it was pretty much the same every day and night. But being in Israel you can't expect a very continental meal. There was always a fish dish, a chicken or beef dish, one carb (rice, pasta or potatoes), sometimes two and one vegetable. The appetizer was the same.Would not rate this a 4-star Hotel experience. maybe 3.5-Stars Hotel is a little far from the Old City.

Room Tip: The view is either the trains or the bus station so don't expect much and the windows are quite...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends