“Good hotel, poor service!”

Jerusalem Gold Hotel
Ranked #80 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
New York
“Good hotel, poor service!”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I must preface this with the fact that when I stayed at the Jerusalem Gold hotel I was staffing a trip of 40 students to Israel, and was responsible not only for my issues but theirs too. I also want to add that the customer service we've come to expect from hotels isn't always the standard everywhere in the world. That said here's what happened ...

The food was mediocre, and believe me when your in Israel and the quality of food is so great everywhere else you notice.

Customer Service was very poor. On more then one occasion we had issues with the participants' rooms - doors were broken, doors would jam and not open, and there was no heat or hot water in some rooms. Since its a group trip in some rooms we had 3 participants and they lacked an extra blanket (and yes it gets cold at night in Jerusalem during the winter so this is important). The participants tried calling the front desk on various occasions, and so did I - and when we did we were told that the issues were already resolved or would be shortly. However, they were not, and at the end of the day nothing was done to remedy the situations. I understand staff is limited and they've got to deal with 20 occupied rooms by my group alone - but that comes with the territory of running a hotel. More importantly the staff was rude, and they showed virtually no interest in resolving anything.

While the rooms themselves were nice, simple and clean -- the rest of the little mishaps left an unpleasant taste in my mouth. I guess its also a different situation - if your there as a family, or a couple or a very small group maybe they'd be more inclined to help, i don't know.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank YelizavetaYR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I stayed here with three friends in June 2013. The hotel is located about 25-30 minutes walk to the Old City, which for some could be a problem but for us meant that we had an enjoyable walk through the streets of Jerusalem every day, which adds to the experience. If you are not keen on the walk then directly opposite the hotel is the tram interchange where you can jump on a tram for the short journey into the centre of town.

The hotel is also conveniently located directly next door to the Jerusalem bus terminal, which means it is very easy to walk next door and get on a bus to wherever you need to go. On arriving from the airport we didn't have far to take our cases and could easily set off on day trips to Masada and Tel Aviv.

The hotel itself is probably more than I would have expected for the price we paid. The breakfast was good, although very busy in a morning, particularly with groups of students/children setting off on their tours.

We had booked two twin rooms, and were placed on one of the highest floors overlooking the tram interchange and main road. Some might not enjoy the view out over the busy streets (which was quite noisy and there was a huge construction site opposite) this wasn't an issue for us.
One good plus was that our rooms were linked together with a joining door.

All in all a very good hotel, in a superb location to access transport links for the whole country. Would recommend staying here to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Jerusalem District, Israel
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The rooms were nice and the woman who runs the hotel was nice but her front desk staff were slow and unhelpful and I saw that they were occasionally hostile and rude to some of the guests! Waiters worked really hard and the lobby was comfortable. The food was pretty good. I really liked a few dishes that seemed fresh and unique to this hotel. I think that my review of the hotel would be much different and enthusiastic if the staff at the desk were better at their jobs!!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank BeebsKE
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

me & my family guist at 31/1/2014-01/02/2014 in Jerusalem Gold hotel and was perfect' the room was very clean. the food was tasty & the location is perfect !!
we will back again in my next trip..

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I must mention the high quality of the rooms. We really enjoyed services, workers tried to give us good service, attention and most importantly clean hotel, rooms are clean and bright.

Rooms are not large but everything is beautiful and elegant.

The price was very comfortable and the location fantastic. I will defiantly recommend friends to come to the hotel and stay.
Thanks again to staff attitude and service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Benoz2014
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Nice & clean rooms
Friendly & helpful staff
Good and taste food
Worth each $ we pay
Sure will visit again
Allocation is very good not so far from the old city near the central bus station the shuck
We enjoy our stay.
And sure that we will visit again next time we will be in Jerusalem

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Imad A
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Me and my family want to thank

The staff at the Jerusalem Gold Hotel

For their  service, polite and care for

Me and my children.

The rooms were clean the food was tasty & excellent

And the location was very helpful in our short visit in the holy jerusalem

• Stayed January 2014