“Friendly Hotel”
Review of Alcazar Hotel

Alcazar Hotel
Ranked #81 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 6 September 2009

This hotel is located in an East Jerusalem neighborhood called Wadi El-joz. The service and friendliness was outstanding during my four night stay. There is a large lobby with free tea and plums usually available. The complimentary breakfast was very good as well. There is a small lift in the hotel. The rooms are outdated as the reviewer photos reveal. My room didn't have a/c (but did have an adequate fan) as well so I would get woken up by the call to prayer early morning.

The walk from the hotel to Herod's Gate is about 10-15 minutes by foot and about 30 minutes to the nightlife district in the city center (only minutes away by taxi however). The Wadi El-joz neighborhood is fine but lacks any visible dining options (although there are many small markets to purchase water, etc.). The hotel is very convenient to the Mount of Olives attractions and the Valley of Jehoshaphat.

Overall I thought it was a good place to stay and a great value for those not insistant on being located in the Old City or very close to dining choices.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Alcazar Hotel

Reviewed 22 August 2009

The only very positive thing I can write about this hotel is their website. If you look at it www.jrscazar.com you’ll be impressed.
Think 180 degrees and you’ll get exactly the opposite; i.e this hotel.
Finding a long black hair in your bed, stained blankets. Showers that don’t work. Only a piece of soap, filthy towels. Sheets are clean though. Dirty breakfast room; stains on the walls.

The manager seems to run this place 24h/day. Still he’s friendly and keeps talking about the owner; his cousin from Amman whom should come over...

The attached pictures say it all.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank simonsmidt
Reviewed 16 August 2009

The only positive thing I can write about this hotel is their website. If you look at www.jrscazar.com you’ll be impressed. Think 180 degrees and you’ll get exactly the opposite; i.e this hotel. Finding a long black hair in your bed, stained blankets. Showers that don’t work. Only a piece of soap, filthy towels. Sheets are clean though. In a dirty quarter of Jerusalem. What a contrast with the muslim areas we found in Damascus, where people are kind and even in the souqs it was clean compared to this neighbourhood. The manager seems to run this place 24h/day. Still he’s friendly and keeps talking about the owner; his cousin from Amman whom should come over, but never does.....
The other good thing that it is cheap.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank simonsmidt
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Alcazar is the name of a hotel that make you feel at home
Near the old city, 10 minutes walking, you'll find yourself near Lion´s, Herod and Damascus Gate and not far from a bus station from were you can travel to the West Bank
If you have any doubt about anything concerning your trip in Jerusalem or Israel, here you'll find the most qualified advise.
We wish to thank Mr. Abu Shadi, Mr. Nadeer and Mr. Walid for their sympathy and kindness.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Victor C
Reviewed 13 August 2009

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Alcazar hotel - located in a quiet neighbourhood but close enough to the old city to easily walk there. The room was clean and spacious, and the staff was very welcoming, always offering a cup of tea or juice when I returned to the hotel. They also helped arrange modestly-priced taxis for trips outside of Jerusalem. Overall, in terms of value for money, you will not find better than the Alcazar Hotel - I will stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We went there as strangers and we departed from there as friends of Mr. Yunus Nadar. Mr. Nadar is the owner of the hotel. We loved our stay there. He even packed us a lunch on our way to Jordan as we did not have time after our morning trip.
He organised our trip to the holy land. What a great person. Made our trip very memorable.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 2nights. I chose this hotel because of the high ratings from Trip Advisory, plus a price that was amazing. I did some searching around and got an incredible rate for a party of 2 for $48USD a night off Hostelbookers.com. Now I have never stayed in a Hostel before so didnt know what to expect. As usual we travel light and we tend to only use the room for sleeping and showering. Since the rate included breakfast, what the heck- give it a try. I debated seriously between this one and an Intercontinental chain hotel called Jerusalem. That one however had so many negative reviews I decided lets just save over $200 and apply it to some other excursion and book at Alcazar.
I checked the Alcazar personal website and the rooms looked nice. There were also other travel reviews off other websites which all gave postivie reviews.
I contacted the owner a few days before completing the booking. Lets just say that his personal attention alone made me ready to book here. As mentioned before in most reviews. Nader is awesome. He helped me with EVERYTHING!!! Even down to ordering me and my husband dinner each night. I didnt know until after we arrived that he was even willing to book our day tours to the old and new city etc. If we left out he wanted to make sure that the taxi we were getting into was a reliable service. He told us the fares that we should expect to pay traveling from point A to point B so we wouldnt get cheated. He chatted with us each day to see how our trip was going. We even had a problem with a Grayline tour we booked before we arrived that advertised hotel pickup, yet when it was time to pick us up they told us we had to meet at a larger hotel closer to the Old city. Despite the fact our hotel was only a few minutes drive from the old city. Nader called them for us and demanded they pick us up or refund the money...WOW
The rooms are VERY simple. Wasnt what I would call a Hostel at all. It would remind you of a Motel6 from 1980. They provide a handtowel and a bath towel, a table and chair, a closet to hang up clothes and a TV.
I will tell you I was shocked to realized there was no A/C, but here is the funny thing, even though it was in the low 90's when we arrived. Our room never got hot??? We had large windows (almost covering the entire wall) on 2 of the room walls and there was a constant cool breeze. Our room was serviced with clean towels and the bed made.
Breakfast was okay. Definetly enough to get you started. Fruits, veggies breads, jams and teas, coffees. They even have boiled and fried eggs (FYI an scrambled egg is easy side up over there.)
As usual there could be cons. I would inform you that this is in East Jerusalem which is the Muslim area. Didnt bother me a bit but at first made my husband feel uneasy, Then when he saw it was no difference and how helpful Nader and Yusepf was he was just a calm as before our arrival.
Next they say you could walk to the old city, but I wouldnt try it. The driving is a bit scary over there plus the area is not as clean as I would like to feel comfortable walking in. There is a small store right on the corner with some snack that I would say is walkable, but if you dont speak or cant read the language I would suggest to stay with a taxi.
I just need to mention that while we were out near the old city we lost our way. We stopped in at the David Citadel Hotel to ask for directions now the price is about $300+ a night. The information desk you have to walk in and towards the right of the hotel. When the guy finally stopped talking with his co-worker I asked him for directions and he seemed as if we were bothering him or as if he was very rushed (couldnt quite make out his vibes). I would have been very irratated if I was an actual guest there paying so much a night to seem to frustrate an employee at the "information desk" for asking information. ...I would have never gotten that vibe from Alcazar. So I mean it just goes to show that it doesnt matter how much you pay. Either you have good service or you dont.
I do recommend this for anyone on a budget, anyone who only uses a hotel to sleep and showers in the room. Anyone who doesnt want anything more than a bed, shower. There are no Frills but really excellent service

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple