“Hotel DOES NOT honor reservations- DO NOT BOOK”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #49 of 102 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 9 November 2011

While on a luxury cruise to Israel, I made plans to stay in the Ambassador hotel in Jerusalem and meet friends from Italy who were flying into Israel for a several night stay to see us for 2 days. I booked online at booking.com 1 night/2 rooms for the 4 of us and my friend called and booked direct for her other 2 nights. Outrageous as it sounds, they had no remorse at lying to us upon arrival (after our traveling around the world for a luxurious stay for ONLY one day in a city we will never return to) and stating that they never heard of our reservation (we had documentation) and stated that we should have booked direct, not online with booking.com. My friend did book direct and even paid a deposit and they still did not provide her with a room until her third night. We were given another hotel--a DUMP by comparison, in a very BAD area, with no amenities that we had wanted for our once in a lifetime visit and grand reunion. To say we are disappointed does not capture the problem. To avoid a similar problem, I recommend against EVER booking this hotel. (I noted they had overbooked for a large tour that was there) When I told booking.com, they replied that they had no control and that as long as the hotel gave us other accomodations, that was all they could do. NOT a satisfactory response. I WILL NEVER book again on booking.com...a rip off for tourists in a foreign place. I asked them to remove this hotel from their website and they refused. Unbelievable...It ruined our stay and reunion in Jerusalem. I have also reported this incident to the Israel Visitor Bureau in NYC.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank lenore a

Reviewed 1 October 2011

Shocked that anyone would give this hotel a good review. Don't be fooled by the lobby! This is one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in for the money. There were bugs in my room, it was not cleaned properly, sheets were dirty, towels feel like sandpaper, no amenities in the room at all and horrible, depressing orange and brown decor. Food is overpriced and mediocre. Uncomfortable bed and lumpy pillows. Bed is so low to the ground, I had to lean on nightstand to get up. Outside steps are REALLY slippery at certain times and I saw one guest slip and fall. I had so many bug bites on my body, and was so itchy by the time I left (maybe from the stench of bleach and harsh detergent used for the sheets) I swore I would write a review to let others know.

There are lots of little things they could do to improve service and rooms, but they don't.
No clock in the room, and if you ask for one, forget it. Bring your own alarm. No iron in the building, and when I asked, they reacted as if I'd requested a flying carpet. No outlet in the bathroom for electric razor, etc. Shampoo is poor, poor quality--really detergent. Soap feels like it's years old. Ancient hair dryer in bathroom. All electric, including refrigerator, shuts down when you take your key out of slot to leave for the day. (So food and drink you leave in the mini-fridge are warm when you return.) Decor is like bad 60s or 70s, and looks like it hasn't been changed since.

What's to like? Twenty minute walk to Old City. (Very hilly, though. Must be in shape to make the walk.) Nice outdoor restaurant, if you can get away from all the smoke.

Decent breakfast included (although meats and fruits and olives are canned, processed.) Good, fresh-baked rolls and yogurt available, as well as cereal. Water and fruit drink (not real juice) available, along with blah coffee and Lipton tea bags.

Big disappointment.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Finny_11
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Stayed ten nights while working and then touring the sites. They seem to cater to groups -- but had many business people staying as well. The staff -- especially the wait staff -- were cheerful and helpful. The food was good -- not a lot of variety in the breakfasts -- but well prepared and presented. There were nights we were offered dinner in the small restaurant, the Italian restaurant or in the large buffet area. The room was clean, comfortable and roomy. There was a lovely balcony with chairs with views of the city (looking past the immediate area). Within walking distance of the old city -- about a 15-20 minute walk. Located on a hill -- near foreign embassy buildings, and yes, the walk up can be difficult at the end of a long day. But the air conditioned comfortable room was welcoming. We enjoyed our visit and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank slctravelagent
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We had a simply amazing stay at this hotel! I have never had such excellent service and attention; we were treated like family and royalty! Everyone went far above the call of duty to make our stay perfect. For example, they would keep the breakfast buffet open longer for us when we came down late. Or the staff had noticed that each afternoon we'd come down for coffee in the lobby so they'd have a fresh pot ready for us! The staff was incredibly courteous, accommodating, and knowledgeable. Unbelievable experience!! Also a great value and very easy access to all the major sites. I would highly recommend this clean, personal, beautiful hotel to anyone visiting Jerusalem.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed here with a tour group. Lobby was beautiful. Rooms were well decorated, but not very clean. Customer service was unresponsive. Food was acceptable, but there was very little variety in the 4 days we stayed.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank hate2stayhome
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed here in the Spring of 2011 and were grateful for the brilliant customer service. We were on a tour with our Church and the hotel staff accommodated our needs in the dining room and with conference facilities. Jerusalem can be confusing to those of us used to straight streets that run north- south and east-west but I know people in our group were able to walk to the Jaffa gate easily. The rooms were clean and well maintained. I would recommend this hotel and gladly return

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I just came back from a four night stay at the Ambassador Hotel. If I had booked the hotel myself, I probably wouldn't have booked this one, but I am very glad I stayed there and would do it again. It is in East Jerusalem, the palestinian side, which puts many people off. It is absolutely safe and in a very upscale area. In my estimation, the east Jerusalem hotels and restaurants offer much greater value and are far more appreciative of your business than in West Jerusalem.
The room had two very comfortable twin beds with white clean duvet covers. It was spotless, comfortable and quiet. The service couldn't have been better. And the food!! the best mid eastern food I've had anywhere probably 30-40% cheaper (and with no attitude) than in West Jerusalem. It's about a 20 minute downhill walk to Damascus Gate and a ten minute taxi ride to the top of Mt. of Olives (technically is is on part of Mt. Scopu-- the Mt of Olives).

Room Tip: I didn't make any special request