“the experience you want.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of David Citadel Hotel

David Citadel Hotel
Ranked #13 of 97 Hotels in Jerusalem
ny
“the experience you want.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

we recently returned from our 3rd or 4th visit and have always loved our stay. the view is spectacular, the service is professional and there to help with a smile and the breakfast is something to savor. we have always had the pleasure of having Said take care of us and he goes out of his way to be sure we have what we want and what we didn't even think we wanted and enjoy it all. he is just the person you want to help you with your breakfast. i hope you enjoy your stay as much as we have enjoyed ours.

Room Tip: try a room with a view of the old city.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Many thanks for your praise; Said does indeed exemplify our service excellence. I too hope all our guests enjoy their stay as you have!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Rockland County, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

So I have been to this beautiful hotel numerous times already. I usually go to Israel once a year, whenever iI go to a hotel (I sometimes rent some beautiful apartment with friends) I would usually pick this one. It is such a gorgeous place with great service, rooms, restaurant/food and this magnificent historical yet modern design and atmosphere that blends together with its unbelievable Old City view. I can't get enough of it!!!

This time I came for a week vacation with my wife, so I was debating going to the new Mamilla hotel across the street (same ownership) but I couldn't resist that beautiful Shabbat meal they offer in the David Citadel Friday night on the terrace facing the Old City, so I picked this hotel again.

When I went Friday to find out where our table will be I was extremely disappointed to find out that due to a private function, the Shabbat meal will not be served on the terrace but rather in a crowded lobby/dining room. I think it is very disingenuous of them not to tell us that this very expensive meal will not be served in the same venue that we are accustomed to and where it always is, so we in turn would have the option of ordering some other place in the area. (there is the King David Hotel, Sheraton, Mamilla etc.).

Additionally, Shabbat dinner is being served from 7:30pm to 10:00pm. They had to rotate the tables they have for different people, so the table I was told is ours was actually taken by someone else because we didn't show up on the exact time we originally told them (It was just an estimation in our part). We had our baby with us so we obviously couldn't stick to a strict schedule... (and we shouldn't have to, this is stuff for the cheaper hotels not for this one) We got there later then we anticipated and until they prepared us a table it was already about 9:30 so we actually had to rush our meal that we so looked forward to. But it not being on the terrace killed it regardless.

Here are some additional points that I think should not be happening in a quality hotel like this and in the passed they never did:
If I remember correctly, the elevators used to be cooled by A/C inside them. They were extremely hot this time (and especially when you use the shabbat elevator you can just die from heat in there while stopping on each floor). It reminded me of the cheap Nov Hotel (I think its called Grand hotel or something by now) I once went to. This is something I heard from a few other customers as well.

The shower leaked out on the floor of the bathroom even when the door is tightly closed.

The exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work, even if they told me that it should when the light is on, it didn't!

The second day of our stay, room service forgot to put a sheet under the blankets in our beds, they had one in top. I called and they fixed it. Again, its minor, but it should absolutely not happen in hotel where you pay these rates per night.

Saturday afternoon, I was downstairs in the lobby, my wife was in bed with the baby Someone walked in "by mistake" on her... the person looked like a guest (but it could be it was a hotel employee) of the hotel and he left immediately seemingly realizing that its not his room. Thank god nothing happened but this is a biggy.... They said security will investigate, I guess they'll look in the cameras. I haven't heard from them as of now.

Again, some of these are small issues by themselves but I absolutely think that they are not to happen in such a classy hotel. They definitely didn't happen in the passed when I was a guest in this hotel.

One thing is clear, we still love this place and we will go back, we just hope that these issues will be resolved by then.

Room Tip: You must take the Old City view rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
I do so regret you were disappointed with your most recent stay. As you're quite familiar with the excellent hospitality we offer, I am sorry this was not your experience this time and look forward to providing it again on future visits.
One point in particular I’d like to address: Security immediately did an electronic reading of entries to your room, and only the Housekeeping Floor Supervisor and Housekeeper had entered your room. There is no possibility at all for another guest to enter your locked room. This information was conveyed at the time of your departure. For future reference, please turn on your red light and we will be sure not to disturb you.
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

Perhaps the best views of the Old City. Great service. Amazing breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank bmanpennsylvania
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thanks much for your review; we’re pleased to have merited it.
melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

The location of this hotel and the stunning swimming pool overlooking the walls of the old city are reasons to stay here. The buffet breakfast is also great, and to sit gazing at the walls while you eat is really a special experience. While the rooms are well laid out and the wardrobes and storage is excellent, they are beginning to show their age, wear and tear, with stains on the carpet, etc. The service generally is average at best, and it feels like since they know they pretty much have the market covered, they just can't be bothered. Given the price of the rooms, this is not good enough. We checked in late after a very long haul flight, were handed a room key without so much as an explanation of what floor, where breakfast was or even where the elevators were. We had been given twin beds, although our pre paid reservation specified king. Exhausted, we took the room, and the next morning asked to be moved. We were offered another room, which smelled terribly. We called to tell them this would not do, and waited for half an hour, with no reponse. Another trip to the front desk to deal with the gruff staff, who claimed they had called housekeeping and offered to spray the room. Finally, I asked to speak to guest relations, and then dealt with the capable and understanding Amira, who quickly fixed things to our satisfaction. There are safes in the room but no safety deposti boxes at reception, so moving rooms meant leaving our valuables with security, who insisted on inspecting every item, which was slightly invasive and uncomfortable. Room sorted, then came the arguments over the internet which had been included in our package. The front desk did not believe us, and we insisted they contact the israeli travel agent who had made the booking to clarify. They begrudgingly gave us a 24 hour card, and then each day when we asked for a new card, had the negotiation all over again....The opening of the Waldorf Astoria across the road will hopefully shake things up, but until then, Amira must be pretty busy sorting out what should not have been issues in the first place.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank langkawi-lisa
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
I certainly do my best to iron out all snags and hitches, which unfortunately are inevitable every now and again in an operation of this caliber.
I truly am sorry you did not experience the outstanding service we strive for, but happy I could be of some help. I hope to welcome you back to a much improved experience in the best traditions of the David Citadel Hotel.
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

We purchased an upgrade with a view of the Old City walls as part of a very large group that stayed at the hotel for about a week. Our view was sub par and we hadto lean over the balcony railing to get a decent view or else look at the roof of the dining patio. At first the hotel staff was somewhat resistant to making a change but they did come through very nicely with a better view and called us on our cell phone and held the room until we could check it out. Kudos to the front desk team who could have ignored us as the place was a mad house and packed, but they did listen and made the change. That is the mark of a fine hotel. We'll certainly go there again.

Room Tip: you'll have to specify a direct view of teh Old City walls and not one from an angle.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
I’m so pleased we provided the excellent service which is our priority, and I thank you for your appreciative review. You’re warmly welcome back any time.
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the David Citadel. The size of the room, cleanliness, and location of the hotel were perfect. We were able to walk to the Old City and yet enjoy all the amenities of the modern world upon our return to our hotel. The food at the breakfast buffet was plentiful and delicious. When we chose to eat outdoors we were overlooking the beautiful pool and the Old City. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and courteous. Any requests we made were tended to immediately. My only complaints would be about the antiquated hair dryer and it's location outside of the bathroom and the lack of space for toiletries. In my future travels to Israel, if I should be so fortunate, I will bring my own hair dryer and far less toiletries as the ones provided by the hotel are fine. Compliments to the staff and administration of the David Citadel Hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
We do make every effort to provide excellent service, your compliments are much appreciated. No need to bring your own hairdryer, we have a heavier duty one we’re happy to send to your room. We too hope to welcome you back for future wonderful experiences.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

great hotel,great location
could not have had better service anywhere, as when my internet went down,as well as an outlet malfunctioning- amazing service
gym well equipped,but I was so busy I didn't get there during hours- a little tight at 6am-7pm
best breakfasts I have had in jerusalem

Room Tip: concierge service good, room clerks great
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review; I’m pleased you so enjoyed your stay with us. The Gym does close earlier on weekends, but is open 6am-10pm weekdays – I hope you have more time to enjoy it on your next stay.