“Think twice before staying at David Citadel”

David Citadel Hotel
Ranked #12 of 98 Hotels in Jerusalem
Scarsdale, New York
“Think twice before staying at David Citadel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

I spent 6 nights in a junior suite at the Citadel and had the worst experience of my life. Arriving at night after touring for the day I was met with a heavy perfume that permeated the entire hotel. I asked about this odor at the front desk later that night. My request to see the manager of the hotel was flatly denied. Hanoch at the front desk said he would investigate this and he would have a manager get back to me. In the ensuing 2 days I spoke with Hanoch about never hearing from a manager nor what caused this problem. He said he knows and that's all he can do. I was treated in a unprofessional, disrespectful and inconsiderate manner. As a result of this perfume I developed a severe exacerbation of my asthma and only because I am a physician and have steroids with me was I able to avoid going to the hospital. If I had a choice I would have moved out of the hotel before I checked in but there were no rooms available to accommodate me and my family. My Israeli guide also discussed my complaints with the front desk but had no different response. I was only able to use the hotel for breakfast and a place to sleep.
When I checked out I again asked to speak with the manager of the hotel, Chemi Gur. The Guest Relations, Amira Lauer, was the only person to come talk to me. I explained the situation and expressed my disappointment, anger, disrespectful treatment. She states the perfume is being blown through the ventilating system of the hotel and can't and won't be stopped. Hanoch should have known that. Also as I am checking out their is nothing she can do for me except to apologize. So please beware of the David Citadel Hotel!!!! My experience is they don't care about their client's health and welfare, they are disrespectful and Amira really wishes I had reached her sooner. ???? Not to mention on our arrival the suite had two light bulbs in key locations that didn't work, no tissues in the room and a big hair ball behind the bathroom door by the shower. Was the room clean, I don't know.
I bought a wifi card to use for a week, the connection was so slow websites would need 15+ minutes to load. The front desk was aware that the wifi was not functioning well and told I need to bring the card down to get the charge taken off my bill.
I do know the teaching at The Cornell University School of Hotel Management is, the key to successful hospitality and hotel management is to anticipate your clients needs before they are aware of what they are themselves. This hotel flunks!!!!!!
I've traveled around the world and never, ever been treated so poorly in my life!!!

I STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THE MANAGER OF THE HOTEL, CHEMI GUR IS SOOO
IMPORTANT HE CAN'T PERSONALLY ATTEND TO A SERIOUS HEALTH COMPLAINT IN HIS HOTEL!
After spending over $5,000 in his hotel you would think he could spare a few minutes of his time.

Jerusalem in a great place to visit with your family but DO NOT STAY AT THE DAVID CITADEL!

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank ezsleepmd
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
I sincerely apologize we did not handle this situation better and provide the usual superb service we strive for. We’ve examined the details and will see such an incident does not recur.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2012

If you want to be right by the old city this is a top choice. I prefer it over the King David. It has an amazing location by the old city and is next to an inviting mall that offers ample places to dine. The rooms are good size and comfortable. Wifi works great (extra cost) and the breakfast (except Saturday) is amazing. If being next to the old city is not a top priority you can save a good sum of money ad stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Request a high room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2012
I thank you for taking the time to post your review. We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

I started going to the Citadel soon after it first opened, when what is now the famous Mamilla Mall across the street was a mere pile of stones. I always admired the brilliant architecture, the inspiring views and the excellent, if not ideal, location. My only gripe in the early years was the level of service, the lengths to which the staff, especially the senior staff was willing to go to satisfy their clientele. This, I was told, was typical of Israeli establishments, of their crisp, business-like culture

I am happy to report that my most recent visit, from December 11 to December 19, 2012, was an eye-opening display of the complete transformation of the hotel's level of customer service - the culmination of a concerted and determined effort to raise to the highest level their desire and willingness to please their guests.

At the moment of check-in, a friendly exchange between guest and host will occur regarding room types and upgrades with offers to see the different rooms before signing in. Here, the Front Office Manager, Munir Salman, proved gracious and helpful - just as he did upon checking out, extending our time to a very late hour to accommodate our needs. Like many of the other senior staff, he has been with the hotel for many years and will greet returning guests as one would old friends - which is in fact how we felt.

Th rooms are maintained well, with crisp comfortable bedding and turn-down service daily. It is a testament to the integrity and brilliance of the original design and decor that not only the public spaces but also the rooms have retained their same modern, clean and new feel to this day. Incidentally, years ago, the hotels in Israel (and Europe) typically shut down the a/c system for the winter - very annoying for some Americans (and this one) - and I complained about that. Well, this too has changed and I was happily tucked under my duvet with the temps in the room somewhere in the low to mid-sixties.

Breakfast is what Israeli hotels are famous for and here too The Citadel does not disappoint. Omelettes made in front of you, espressos and cappuccinos galore, etc. etc. All manner of food in beautiful indoor and outdoor spaces and a wait staff falling over themselves trying to please and cosset. We were served by the wonderful Saeed and when he was going to be away for a few days he informed us that he would be putting us in the equally able hands of Samer, who did in fact carry the baton in every way.

Two more points.

1. The Fitness Center has been upgraded. Also, there used to be an annoying 50 shekel charge per day for use of the fitness center. There is now no charge at all.

2. The Pool. As I have become an avid swimmer, this is most important to me. To find a large pool in which to do laps during winter is itself a challenge. To find an outdoor pool (you enter and exit the pool from within the building and swim out) heated to just the right temperature, well that is simply fantastic and quite the experience. The life guard, yes, patrolling out there bundled up in hooded winter coat but always vigilant, told me they're open every day of the year except Yom Kippur.

My wife and kids emphatically thanked me for another pleasurable Israel experience and I in turn thank The Citadel.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms on the quiet street that runs along the right side of the hotel when facing it...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2012
And I thank you for such richly rewarding compliments; you’ve given us the very highest we could have asked for, and coming from so loyal a guest as yourself they’re all the more gratifying. We look forward to providing many more wonderful experiences for you and your family.
Rehovot, HaMerkaz, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

It's expensive and then they make you pay for wifi. They also wouldn't give me a box to take breakfast up to eat with my Mom who is sick. They told me to call room service. Location is great. Beds are comfortable. But it's a tacky hotel. What decent hotel expects a guest to pay for wifi in the 21st century and won't let you take food from the dinning room to eat in your room. They squeeze you for every extra cent they can, even asking for deposits on things that should have come with the room in the first place.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Stephanie L
I'm pleased you enjoyed some aspects and regret the ones you did not. We have many luxuries to offer and you’re welcome to enjoy them on your next stay with us.
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012 via mobile

Had a great stay and loved the location.
We were especially happy with the service we received from Monir and the reception desk staff.
They gave us great touring ideas and Manuell was very helpful with some ticket issues we had.
We will definitely recommend it to our family and friends.

• Stayed September 2012
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Many thanks for your compliments. Munir and Manuel do exemplify the superb service which is our priority and I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay so much. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

i've stayed at the hotel a few weeks ago in a Superior room that was not as superior as i expected. the room is very small. so small that after the security staff member opened the connecting door for us- we had no room to place the couch!
however, the hotel has a great location and an amazing spa.

i was dissapointed with breakfast - when i've had an early breakfast it was great, but the next days when i came later, at around 09:30 the pastries were all dried out and not fresh. when i complained i was tols that it was baked much earlier and there is nothing they can do at this time.

also, some staff members are much nicer then the others. When i came to check-in i've had to wait for a few minutes for a bell-boy to take my luggage while the security guy at the front keeps asking them to send a boy over. nothing happend so i took it in by myself. nevertheless, the doorman did not bother getting up and open the door for me. the secutity guy noticed it the last minute and helped me. when i told the doorman it was rude of him, he answerd that he is not a young person and that he cannot get up from his chair for every single guest. my question is - WHY HIRE HOM FOR A JOB THAT HE IS NOT CAPABLE TO DO?!
eventually, i preffered tipping the security team rather then the concierge.

Also - WiFi is with extra charge. this is 2012, wake up! i just went to the Mammila mall, paid for a cup of coffee and got free WiFi. much better.

in coclusion,
nice hotel - could be much better with some thaught. (and some of your staff might need a wake up call).

[sorry for my bad english]

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lilly m
I’m so sorry we fell short of the outstanding service we strive for, and hope you choose to stay with us again so that we can restore your faith in our hospitality. Thank you for your detailed review, we much appreciate guest feedback and are considering your comments.
Livingston, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

Just returned from another stay at the David Citadel Hotel in Jerusalem. This is the best place to stay in the city. Location is perfect, an easy walk to the old city and restaurants. Our family has been there at least once a year for the past 10 years. The best is the welcome we get each time from the front office staff. Munir Salmon and his staff make us feel as if we are returning home each time we arrive. During our stay they help to make sure that all our needs are taken care of. Looking forward to visiting them again next March.

Room Tip: the alcove deluxe room is worth the upgrade. very spiritual view of the old city, especially at nig...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
AYLB, Guest Relations Manager at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
It gives us great pleasure to provide a home-away-from-home for our returning guests and the reward of such warm words is well worth the effort. We too are looking forward to March.