“Business Trip”

David Citadel Hotel
Ranked #14 of 100 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I was in town for a long business trip (a few weeks) and I chose to stay at the Citadel. Because I was at the hotel for such a long time I had the somewhat unique opportunity to get to know many individuals on the staff. With a few exceptions my experience was excellent.

The High points...My room was fantastic. The bed was large and comfortable, the bathroom was very large with a big tub, and the view of the Old City was hard to beat. The rooms are cleaned and checked multiple times a day and the cleaning staff was very personable and took very good care of me. The staff in the Executive Lounge was the best. Revi, Tanya, Gen, and Danielle were very friendly and extremely helpful with everything. They were like a personal concierge team.
The day and night managers, Medina and Selim took 1st class care of me. When the scale in the gym broke, Medina had one sent to my room within minutes of my phone call. Selim made reservations at the hotel restaurant "Scala" for my girlfriends birthday. He personally stopped by to see how our meal was and he arranged for a special birthday dessert for us. The staff at the restaurant went out of their way to ensure we had a memorable evening and the food was excellent.
A first class breakfast buffet is included with the room. The variety of food available is really outstanding. The gentlemen that served me there every morning were fantastic waiters. Samir, Samir and Ata really made the breakfast experience what it was. They were very attentive, friendly and went out of their way to get me anything I needed.

The Low Points...The door men were probably the worst I have ever experienced. Almost without exception they were inattentive at best and sometimes outright rude. I don't know if it's a cultural difference but in the United States they wouldn't have a job after 1 day. They create a bad impression for the hotel. I'd rather just open my own door.
I had a 50/50 relationship with the front desk staff. When I first arrived they would try and talk over me, they were sometimes dismissive, almost adversarial, and by U.S. standards, rude. That being said, the longer I stayed there the better they got. They seemed to warm up to me and by the end of my stay they were very helpful. There were some new faces at the front desk by the end of my stay which seemed to help as well. Some were new trainees and some had possibly been moved from another shift. Whatever the reason the front desk staff was improving by the time I checked out. The computer tech at the business center was also very helpful when he showed me how to use the scanner.

Overall...it was a great experience. I expect I'll return to Jerusalem in the future and if so, I'll stay at the Citadel for sure. The poor experiences with the door staff and the 50/50 relationship with the front desk crew (the only reasons for 4 instead of 5 stars) can't come close to overshadowing the fantastic managers and the first class staff of the Executive Lounge, the breakfast buffet, Scala and the cleaning staff which made my stay so pleasurable. Thank you for all of your hard work. -Alex

Room Tip: The hotel is essentially a "U" shape with the inside/open end of the "U" facing...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
ofra A, Executive Secretary at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your detailed review and for your compliments; we are proud to have earned them.
I am sorry that you had some comments regarding service issues that hindered an otherwise perfect experience and look forward to hosting you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,141)

Reviewed 3 November 2013

try to ask for rooms that its view to old city and have dinner on the restorant at the lights of stars
the attenction was great,and the spa is perfect, any excursion you need thy will book for you,Said
in breakfast assisted me in everithing and im willing to come again soon

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your heartwarming review, your comments are greatly appreciated.
We hope to welcome you back for many future enjoyable experiences.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Whenever I come to Israel,I stay at the Citadel. The location, close to the Mamilla Mall and within walking distance to the old city is superb. The service is excellent and the staff is very anxious to please. Especially helpful is the manager, Munir, who goes out of his way to make the stay a pleasant and memorable one.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Otherrose
ofra A, Executive Secretary at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time and post your great review.
We do strive to create the highest hospitality level,and your comments prove we are on the right track .
I will definitely pass your comments to the entire staff with great pride-especially to Munir.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed 3 nights for business. My room smelled like mold. The bed and pillow comfort was what I would expect from a 3 star hotel. The desk staff was friendly but no one else was particularly helpful. I would have expected better service at a 5 star hotel.

On the positive side, the internet was free, parking was convenient, and the proximity to the Old City could't be beat.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

I regret your experience was anything short of the absolutely wonderful hospitality which is our goal.
I do hope you choose to return for a much improved stay, in the best traditions of the David Citadel Hotel.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

A visit to the Spa at the David Citadel in Jerusalem is a wonderful way to spend a day. I went there today with my sister to celebrate our recent birthdays. They have a very reasonably priced package (half the price of some other luxury spas) which includes a huge buffet breakfast with many delicious choices, a 45-minute treatment (choice of deep tissue or Swedish message) and use of their facilities- wet and dry sauna, a beautiful (outdoor) swimming pool overlooking the Old City, a well equipped fitness room and a relaxation room, complete with nap stalls. The facilities are clean and the environment in the spa itself is very relaxing- dimly lit and soothing music. The staff is both friendly and professional. A shout out and kol hakavod (all the respect) to Nachama - the message therapist - great technique, took direction well and only engaged in 'necessary' conversation. A breath of fresh air - I was actually able to relax. From start to finish, a lovely way to spend the day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this nice review.
I will definitely pass your comments to the entire Spa staff with great pride.
It is our goal to provide the most memorable and enjoyable experience to our guests, as a Hotel guest and also as the Spa guest.
I am happy you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We had a wonderful experience at the hotel and we enjoyed our stay immensely. I want to recommend two excellent waiters in the hotel for their great service. Said and Abed were both, very nice, patient, and quick.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

On behalf of the entire staff, I wish to thank you so much for these warm words.
I will definitely pass your kind comments to our team members-especially Said and Abed .
I am happy you enjoyed your stay, and hope to host you again soon.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

The location of the hotel is perfect for visiting the Old City. The concierge at the hotel gave great recommendations and was always there to help in any way. The room and common areas were always kept clean.
Unfortunately, I experienced a very unfortunate issue my first night and the reason I am writing this review is because I do not feel that it was dealt with properly.
As I was in bed and trying to fall asleep, I heard a loud banging on my door with what sounded to be someone shouting. I called down to security and asked that they send someone up to my room because I was scared. The banging and shouting happened again. I called down to security again and asked for someone to come up to my room because I was scared and didn’t know what was going on. I called down to the front desk who said maybe my TV was too loud (impossible since I could barely hear it only a few feet away). Finally, I got dressed and ran down to the front desk to ask where security was. Only at this point was security sent up.
Once security was at my door, a man from the next room emerged and began to shout profanities at me in front of security. Security basically said there was nothing they could do. The man became more and more angry, even shouting sexual profanities at me right in front of the security guards. The guards still insisted there was nothing they could do. I felt very uncomfortable staying in my room at this point and asked to be moved, but was told the hotel was full.
In the morning I spoke with a manager who said she would try to move my room, but again was unable to due to the hotel being full. I checked with the King David down the street and they were full also. I had no option but to stay in this room. The manager never got back to me personally – I only found out I wasn’t being moved when I arrived back to my room to find food, wine and a gift basket with an apology note. The only nice gesture to help me feel comfortable would have been to move my room.
This reservation was pre-paid so I never received any sort of credit, or any further contact with a manager regarding the situation. For such a prestigious hotel that prides itself on providing a safe and secure atmosphere, the hotel sure fell short during my stay.
There are other choices when visiting Jerusalem and unfortunately I will not return to the David Citadel until such time I feel they can provide a safe atmosphere.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank NJ_traveler_028

I truly am sorry we seem to have fallen short on your recent stay.
We thank you for taking the time and let us know your comments, as we learn from each and every one of it.
This incident does not reflect our high standards, and we did have a thorough check regarding this issue. Unfortunately, as you know, the hotel was fully booked and we could not change your room at that time.
We would welcome the chance to host you again and restore your faith in our service.