“Seder time at the David Citadel”

David Citadel Hotel
Ranked #9 of 102 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We came to the David Citadel on Saturday evening. Pesach started on on Monday. I was a bit disappointed to see that the hotel already turned over for Pesach. I was looking for was looking forward to the yummy foods of Israel before the Chag. Luckily, I got them that night on Ben Yehudah Street. I guess how can they turn it over in a short time? Disappointed, but I understand.

The location is perfect. A short walk one way to the Old City/Kotel, the other way to Ben Yehudah St.

We got a family room facing the new city. The room faced a playground on one side and the street one another side. For $800 some odd dollars I shouldn't see a playground. Where was the new city? The room itself was big. There was a hallway where the closets were when you first walked in. Then, the room opened up where there was a sofa bed for 1, a rolling bed put out for my other daughter and the main bed for us. There was enough room to walk around. The beds had old/worn sheets on them. One of the beds the sheets had holes. The floor was carpeted, but not plush,it was flat, worn and you could feel the hard floor underneath. Again, for this price, not acceptable.

The bathroom was a nice size for the 4 of us for a hotel. Great L'occitane products, as it should be at this hotel level. There were nice robes and slippers, plus nice sized towels.

Breakfast was spread out in the dinning area and outside. There was every israeli salad you could think of, red cabbage, apple/jicima, carrot/raisin, and others I have not ideas, but had them all. Then there were plates full of cheeses and plates full of smoked fishes. There were yogurts, where you could add fruit, honey and even chocolate bits. Then there were Kosher L'Pesach pancakes, shakshuka, hard boiled eggs, mini quiches and a man making omelets or whatever eggs you wanted. There was also a cake area for your breakfast sweet tooth.

On Sunday we sat outside overlooking the pool and old city, which was lovely. But on Monday all the tours and rest of the tourists came. Breakfast on Monday was a Balagan and the hotel was overwhelmed. Haven't they done this before? Oh and to my fellow American Jews, you should be ashamed of yourselves! Were you brought up in a barn?! Pushing around the buffets, grabbing seats for breakfast and "saving". What are you 12 years old? One woman actually said to me that I must not work and that is why I got there before shabbas. She works and had to be at work on Friday so she couldn't come until the Sunday flight. REALLY??? I do work. How dare she! I was about to let her have it, when my daughter gave me a look of "don't engage". I just said I work in a Jewish Day School teaching Special needs students, the best kind of job EVER! I then walked away.

The Seder that evening was different than I thought. We went to the seder with the Hazzen. It was a small room with maybe 50 people. I thought it would be a HUGE seder with 200 people together doing seder. Most people had private seders. Some had a few seders going on at one time in the same ballroom. How do you concentrate on your seder when another is right next to you? Our seder was, well, a seder. It went by the book. It was fine.

The food was delicious. There was chopped liver, gifilte fish, soup, choice of appetizers, choice of dinner (fish, duck or steak) and strawberry mousse in a chocolate cup and another dessert I forget. All delicious. I will say... the food was really, really good.

The service was fair. They brought out 3 out of 6 appetizers so by the time the 3 were done the others got theres. It was not timed correctly. Then the server brought the soup before clearing the appitizer plates so he had nowhere to put the soup, yet could take the appetizer plates because the soup was on his tray. We had to advise him on what to do. At almost $300 per person for the seder meal, this is not acceptable. I'm going to take a guess and say this was spare help. But again, haven't they used spare help before?

We came purposely to this hotel for the seder Yom Tov days thinking it would be better being at the big name hotel, but for the up charge that they make you pay for Pesach I'm not sure it's worth it all. Between the amount of people there and the service level over the chag, I feel they were overwhelmed and it was over priced. I think at heart I'm a boutique hotel girl.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sedrait
ofra A, Hotel Management at David Citadel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time and post your great and detailed review.
We do strive to create the highest hospitality level,and your comments prove we are on the right track .
I will definitely pass your comments to the entire staff with great pride .
Hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Hotel was rated 5 star on several different sites. Unfortunately, I beg to differ.
The hotel is perfectly located near the Old City. While the breakfast is included, there wasn't anything served hot, that was supposed to be hot. Cold eggs, cold pancakes, terrible service most of the time. Nearly impossible to get a HOT cup of coffee. If you could find a waiter, it was luke warm. I would say that the mistake was ours, going during Passover, but we were there the week prior as well.

A disappointing experience.

Room Tip: The rooms are quite nice, be sure to face the old city, and don't bother getting sucked into the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joystoy99

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I regret your stay with us was anything less than perfect . As we learn from all comments, I can assure you we will check your comments thoroughly.
We look forward to welcoming you back for a better experience.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

it was our first visit to jerusalem this hotel was close to old city and holy places.. we received a good service from everyone specially from the receptionist Mr.Elias he was very friendly and helpful he made our stay enjoyable and hopefully if we visit Israel again David Citadel will be our first option

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

On behalf of the entire staff, I wish to thank you so much for taking the time to post these warm words.
I will definitely pass your kind comments to our team members- especially to Elias at the reception.
I am happy you and your family enjoyed your stay, and hope to host you again soon

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

It was a great erev hag dinner for me and for the family in David Citadel hotel. It was a unique experience specially with the amazing smiley waiter Bilal. Thank you, and as Bilal said to us that the hotel will love to see us again. We tell the hotel that we would definitely do it again.

• Stayed: April 2014

Many thanks for such high compliments, and for taking the time to write it.
I will forward your kind comments to the entire staff - especially to Bilal.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

What better way to enjoy Passover then staying at The David Citadel Hotel! From start to finish, this hotel is perfection. Nothing is overlooked . We had just completed three weeks volunteering on an Israeli army base, through Volunteers for Israel/Sar El, something for travelers to investigate if looking for a meaningful and special travel experience . We were ready for some luxurious pampering. The David Citadel fit the bill! The hotel is located right next to the entrance of the Mammila Mall and a walk to the Western Wall. Its locale is wonderful. The hotel is gorgeous perfection. Guests are greeted at the entrance by pipped in fragrances and welcoming door men. The entire staff are dedicated to making your stay pampered, comfortable, and friendly. Fadi at the reception desk graciously made sure that we had an over sized king room, with a sitting area, plus a magnificent view of the Old City and Western Wall. He proudly escorted us to our room, which made us feel right at home. Our stay was for 5 nights, Thursday until Tuesday, (beginning after the Seder night until the end of Passover). Fabulous, high-end breakfast is part of the hotel package, and these master chefs are to be commended for creating unbelievably gourmet dishes - simply beyond imagination. We had a delicious and elegant Shabbat dinner at the hotel. Although quite pricey, the dinner was high quality and abundant, and the service was very attentive, creating a memorable Shabbat dinner. The cuisine was so gourmet that one would not believe that everything was Glatt Kosher for Passover! One addition we opted for was the Executive Lounge, which enabled us to enjoy off- hour meals or snacks, and entertain visiting family (at a modest additional charge for guests).. Tiferet and Inbar in the Executive Lounge were always helpful and attentive to our every need, and should be commended. The housekeeping service was excellent. The bedding, towels, bathrobes, slippers and toiletries were luscious. Batya made sure that the service was perfect and that the housekeeping staff efficient. An iron and board was sent up upon request.
We truly look forward to returning to the David Citadel next year, and volunteering with VFI as well.

Room Tip: Pick Old City views
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for posting your detailed and kind review.
I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay,as this is the way for us to know we did well.
Hope to see you again soon among our guests.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

It doesn't even come close. The hotel is nice however the rooms are dirty, requests, such as beds, are unfulfilled, and the quality of service for the absurd prices is unacceptable. If you want to fork over a ton of money and want to have a pleasant stay check out the other hotels in the area.

1  Thank Justin52396

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I regret your stay with us was anything less than perfect .
We look forward to welcoming you back for a better experience.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Save your money or spend your money somewhere else. With a wide assortment of hotels in this beautiful city, paying these prices for a mediocre room, complete with dirty carpets -but worse -dismissive customer service, is an outrage.
As a former travel agent and lifelong traveller, I'm a (self-appointed, perhaps,) "expert" and had high hopes for this hotel.
What a pity...

1  Thank Winks1006

I regret your experience was anything short of the absolutely wonderful hospitality which is our goal.
Thank you for taking the time to send your review as this is the way for us to learn of our guest's experience.
I do hope you choose to return for a much improved stay, in the best traditions of the David Citadel.