“Classic Tourist Hotel”

Mount of Olives Hotel
Ranked #78 of 102 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 11 January 2012

If you are looking for an "earthy", inexpensive, alternative to US style hotels; this is the place. Great location for site seeing. The staff was reserved but friendly and helpful. Free wi-fi. Caters more to groups from less well off countries visiting the Holy Lands. But make no mistake, this is not a Holiday Inn. Clean, basic, local color. We enjoyed our stay, but we're pretty flexible.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobertA60899

Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed in April 2011 at Mount of Olives Hotel (MOH) for one night only, although we originally planned to stay for 9 nights. As we travelled with two children, we booked well in advance and asked to be given a "large family room", but on arrival were accomodated at a regular small one which can best be described as a "whitewashed cave". The toilet facilities were just a step forward from "stone age". The dining area was primitive. We moved out and saved our wonderful stay in both East and West Jerusalem from ruin. MOH is definitely not the place to stay on the sacred Mount of Ascension.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank TsarVostokoff
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We chose this hotel as a base after having read reviews on trip advisor. The hotel is basic, unsophisticated and in a noisy & grubby arab area of West Jerusalem. The meuzin starts his ritualistic call to prayer at 5.00 am. The traffic noise with horns blaring subsides only marginally during the night. The dogs bark & howl and the head housekeeper has a voice that itself could bring down the walls of Jericho, but dear pilgrim read on--The rooms are functional, clean & well maintained. Plenty of hot water and fresh linen. The staff from the American owner down are to a man (or woman) courteous, helpful friendly and desirous to assist in all your needs.The breakfasts contrary to other comments on here are excellent. Mainly Palestinian dishes but varied, filling and very tasty. We never once required lunch. The chef is a treasure and provided us with a very decent 3 course meal on 3 evenings for approximately £9 about $15. Whilst in a strict muslim area bottled beer & wine is available. We would not hesitate to stay here again and who goes to the Holyland to sit in a hotel?
The welcome is genuine and in stark contrast to the disappointing attitude of most Jewish people in Israel who really only tolerate tourists for the income they provide. In addition this hotel is ideally situated for many 'must see' attractions. A walk down a steep hill takes you through the garden of Gethsemane and the birthpace & shrine of the Virgin Mary. A regular bus service from Damascus gate costs just 90 pence & drops you off outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Away from road and nieghbours barking dogs if possible
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joddwallgate
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I stayed 16 days at The Mount of Olives Hotel. My first trip to Jerusalem really my first out of the states.

The good:
The staff for the most part is helpful and courteous.
My room was kept clean.
The breakfast which is included is amazing.
There are computers to use and free wi-fi
The owner is from the states and went well beyond being friendly and helpful to me.
One cab driver in particular was very nice and only ripped me off once which I overlooked.
Very close to the Old City and the Garden of Gethesmane
The money changer is near by and gives decent exchange and also the owner spent time in the states. Why the hotel doesn't make his services known was a question I never got answered.
The room safe was very secure.
The Kiosk across the street sells pretty damn good sandwiches and has pop, cigarettes and candy. I wouldn't go in there when the teenagers were working the prices jumped up compared to the regular guy.

The Bad:
My room was something resembling a flea bag hotel. Other rooms were far nicer than mine. They are remodeling so I will grant the belief that my room hadn't been remodeled yet.
There was no wi-fi in my room. Ten steps from my room it worked fine. Just not in my room.
No laundry service that I was aware of.
Very bad neighborhood at night. A friend I met there was robbed near by. I don't blame the hotel for this but a careless traveler who should have been smarter about being out at night. There is no warning from the staff about this.
The call for prayer will wake you from a dead sleep till you get used to it.
The hotel appears to be something of a boarding house for locals. It makes breakfast very interesting.
There was no tv in my room. I didn't complain tho. I believe others did and were quickly accommodated with new rooms. I didn't care enough to bother asking.
Avoid the idiot across the street and his restaurant. He didn't know that I recognized some of the swear words he was using about me.
The tour company ( the brochures are in the lobby) who's name escapes me is terrible. Get a few people together and just hire a car. Far more pleasant.
No shampoo in the rooms. There is a store down the block that sells it.

Overall:
Many of the staff were very helpful to me when I had some difficulties with my master card. The owner himself even offered assistance. The older gentleman who I think told me his name was Joseph was very kind and helpful. The breakfast is really amazing. The cab driver I used most of time was quite a character. Really a highlight during some low points. My room was rather well cheap and disgusting. I was in other rooms that were 4 star so I am unsure of the difference. My biggest complaint that deals directly with the owner and his staff was that they know getting cash is a priority for travelers and yet they play stupid as to where the atms are and the money exchanger around the corner. There is an ATM at Jaffa Gate too. Do not use the one in the college town near by. It doesn't recognize American cards. The cab driver took me here .. why not Jaffa Gate or the money changer around the corner that he took me to 3 days later I will never know. I ended up paying for a wasted trip. He later got me in and out Bethlehem so he made up for it. Avoiding a rather through search and grilling check point.

Now here's a highlight. Me and another traveler had a very early day and had scheduled a tour together. The cook came in early and made us a breakfast probably a few hours before breakfast was served. Try getting that in the states. He will as I found out the last day there will cook you an omelets or scramble you some eggs.

I witnessed the staff there be very kind to the elderly that stooped to rest in the lobby.

Now would I stay there again. Yes. It is far more interesting than a touristy hotel. Far more private than a hostel. Some of the locals ( a policeman of all people) told me I was ripped off for what I was paying but I honestly think I got a good deal but would have been far more happier with a better quality of room and wi-fi that worked in the room.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank Rotten_Johnny
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff at the Mount of Olives Hotel.

There is no AC but the wind howls around the building at night (in a pleasant way) which makes it cool. The neighbourhood is certainly noisy day and night and, yes, the call to prayer from the mosque can be loud, but I enjoyed the experience, personally.

I caught the bus back to the hotel every evening but i did so no later than 7pm, and then took an early night. If you are staying out late, I would probably recommend using a taxi to get back. Certainly do not walk on the Mount of Olives (the actual mountainside where all the churches are) at night as this is a well-known thieving hotspot.

The breakfast is good, Internet access is excellent, the staff can arrange taxis and tours quickly.

The Mount of Olives is a Palestinian area. This caused me no problems but it is worth noting as it is true that some taxi drivers in Jerusalem will refuse to take you there, and only Arab buses (departing from the bus terminal at Damascus Gate) go there.

My room was basic, but good. There was a safe in the closet.

They serve dinner, but also recommended to me a restaurant around the corner. I forget the name but it is the only one of the 2 nearby restaurants the hotel staff will recommend. It was wonderful: great food, great decor, friendly people.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank LeilaN5
Reviewed 24 April 2010

First, let me say, I've stayed here twice over the past few years. The fact that I came back can attest to the genial nature of the staff and fairly decent price. The location is great for those wanting to stay outside a tourist style hotel and experience some Palestinian culture. It's a quick walk to the best overlook of the Old City at night or day; 10 min to the Garden of Gethsemane & cabs/buses. Most taxi drivers know the place ("ya', it's my neighborhood!). The breakfast is typical of the region, with humus, cold cuts, fresh bread, salads, cereals, etc. Web access is decent & was in the original house (see the website for history). Staff always greets you kindly and is available to hook up a tour or cab. There's a local snack shop across the street and an excellent falafal place a few doors down. NOW... about the ROOMS... the place is in pretty sad shape. I've never found crawlies in the bed or had to clean the shower, but the last time I picked the economy room and had to switch after the toilet began leaking all over the floor. The soap was't packaged... just random pieces left from the previous occupants. Most surfaces haven't been dusted in awhile. The carpet begs for socks, if not shoes. It's a step above a rough hostel and fine for those of us who are just sleeping and can leave our white glove test back home. If they'd paint, recarpet and deep clean every 6 mos, the place would be fine. If you have Hampton Inn standards, I recommend you stay there and leave this one for those with a more rustic nature.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ScottandSuzi
Reviewed 22 March 2010

The hotel is located on the top of the Mt. Of Olives which is in Arabic quater. Not so far away from the Old Town and really closed to many interesting places. But on the evening it is better to go to the hotel by taxi. Rooms are small and modestly furnished, but comfortable. There was buffet breakfast with huge selection of local dishes. The hotel staff was friendly. We enjoyed our stay in this hotel and I can really recommend this place - just be ready for the singing of Muezzin from the minaret which is nearby at 4 A.M., but it is irresistible middle-eastern :-)

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family