“Romantic Hotel with Great Spa”

Dan Jerusalem Hotel
Ranked #23 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
London, United Kingdom
“Romantic Hotel with Great Spa”
Reviewed 4 June 2011

My boyfriend surprised me at the end of a working trip to Israel and we booked at the Dan Jerusalem. Our view faced the Old City and at night was drenched in warm sun. The hotel is gorgeous and incredibly personal for such a large place. We didn't see any tour groups, so maybe we came at the right time of year...

I would love to come again. We spent a whole day doing nothing in the spa and the reception staff had some wonderful recommendations for nights out. Thank you!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Highgatecat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Frankfurt
Reviewed 24 May 2011

This is a nice hotel, good location, lots of space and an open and friendly atmosphere. Food is good, breakfast is excellent. Overall service is very friendly and helpful (though safes in the rooms still do not work). The problematic point as previously mentioned, is that the bulk of the guests come with package tours (Holy Land Tourism etc.). Once busloads arrive or depart it gets very noisy and staff is totally occupied with them. Thus, 5-9 pm and 6-8 am is not a good time to hang around. Although groups spend the whole day in the bus together, they have to sit together in the evening as well, dragging chairs and furniture through the bar. If you happen to have a room facing the parking, be aware that buses are loaded as early as 6:30 and the screeching of the luggage carts certainly wakes you up.
The pool is nice and clean, though it was not clear what is Spa (and costs) and what is outdoor (and free). Most of the peaople in the spa and pool are local residents who are members.
All in all, good if you need hotel close to the Hebrew University or Haddassah Hospital, not recommended for individual tourists.
WLAN costs, but works very well (at least on the executive floors); laundry and minibar is quite expensive.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank udomisrati
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 May 2011

The hotel is very nice, comfortable, and welcoming. The staff was very helpful and eager to serve. The food was fresh and tasty. This is the first time I traveled abroad and didn't miss american food! I would recommend this hotel when traveling to Jerusalem.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank holytravels
Teaneck, NJ
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We stayed at this lovely hotel for the third time this past April. The management went out of its way to accommodate me, as I was suffering a foot injury and needed special attention. They upgraded our room and were solicitous in their attention. The Dan motto of service excellence was very much in evidence. Thank you for a great experience.

2 Thank David J
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Firstly, I want to apologize for being long winded. There is a lot to say about this hotel. When my husband booked this hotel, he was told this was a 5 star hotel. My husband and his work colleagues went to a training symposium located in the hotel for work. We were at the hotel 8 days.
The staff: We arrived at the hotel in the early afternoon. We were so tired we went straight to bed and ended up waking up around midnight starving. I went down to the lobby to find some room service and quickly found out there was none. The front desk, Vicky and Anna apologized and told me about a deli that was open that delivered, and they used it all the time. They printed out a menu, recommended the food, and helped me order. While waiting for the food, she told me about some great tours I could go on while my husband was in training all day. She suggested I go see Eyal, the concierge tomorrow. I walked away, with food in hand, thinking what wonderful staff the hotel had.
Next day, I went to see Eyal while my husband went to work. He was a very nice helpful man. He hooked me up with several inexpensive tours, maps of the old city and helpful cultural tips to help me navigate smoothly through the city (being a lone woman traveling in Israel).
After a long 7 hour day walking around the old city, I was so tired and sore. Eyal inquired about my day and then suggested I go see Daniel the masseuse. The man was magical. If you want to have the best massage you’ve ever had. Go see him. I booked him 3 more times!
When I got back to my room, I noticed water all over the bathroom counter. Actually, it all over everything I had on the counter. I cleaned it up then used the facilities. The toilet wouldn’t flush correctly. My husband got it to flush fine and laughed at me for not being able to use a foreign toilet. We called that deli (again, room service was closed) ate dinner and went to sleep.
Next day, great buffet breakfast (actually, every morning was a great breakfast.( Wonderful staff who worked their tail off to serve you.) Back in the room, there was water all over the counter again and the toilet wouldn’t work. I wrapped a hand towel around the facet and took off for a tour.
Every tour I went on that week (4 of them) was perfect except for 1. The tour it’s self was great. After the tour, I was harassed into buying stuff at a souvenir shop. I don’t want to get into details but it was so bad I was shaken up over it when I got back. Eyal, asked me how my day was, as he did every day and I mentioned it to him then headed to my room. A couple hours later he called me and told me he spoke to the owner of the tour and souvenir shop and he was refunding my money for the tour. I didn’t expect that. I didn’t expect him to call tour at all. He really went out of his way to fix a problem I had mentioned in passing. Again, great staff!
The hotel: To make a long story short… The toilet was broken and “dripped” all night. The heater fan was so loud that it drowned out the loud dripping toilet but the heat was almost unbearable. The AC was busted and there was only one setting that worked; High heat. We fixed that problem by propping the patio door open. The leaking facet was fixed by either not using it at all or wrapping a towel around its base. We didn’t tell the hotel because.. Frankly, I didn’t have the heart too. The staff were so nice, I felt guilty because I had already complained about something else. In the hotels defense, they had just purchased the building. There was a lot wrong with it. All the carpets were stained, the walls are in despite need of a coat of paint, the furniture in the lobby needs to be burned and the lovely pool was closed. And last but not least... The Noise from the construction was terrible. My husband said that the conference of 200 people had to be stopped several times because of the noise level. On a happy note, the bed was really comfortable. The hotel really needs a lot of work. It’s far from the 5 star that it claims to be. I think, in another year, the hotel will be the beauty it once was and I can’t wait to see it. Until then… Management, thank your lucky stars for your always smiling, eager to help staff.

Room Tip: Check the room before you pay for it!
1 Thank Tishla
DanHotelsIsrael, Manager at Dan Jerusalem Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2011
Dear Dan Jerusalem Guest,
Firstly, thank you for your detailed review and for taking the time to forward your comments.
Much appreciated are your favorable evaluations of the level of service, including courtesy and consideration from the Front Desk, Concierge and Spa teams.
Please be assured that had we been notified of the maintenance issues at the time, our staff would have made every effort to gladly deal with them speedily and efficiently. Guests are always encouraged to openly approach the staff members during their stay in order to ensure an enhanced guest experience.
We would be delighted to welcome you back amongst our guests in the near future.
The Management
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Being our first visit to the Holy Land we were not sure what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised with the staff and their willingness to help us enjoy our visit. The hotels consciere "Elay"was extremely helpful and his english was excellent! Their breakfast selection was impressive to start the day. The rooms were clean but you need to request fresh towels at times.Though there were many tour groups staying at the hotel the rooms were very quiet and we rested well.Over all our stay was adequate and our memories were pleasant while staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: be sure to request a room over looking the city!
2 Thank higginsaz
DanHotelsIsrael, Manager at Dan Jerusalem Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Dear Dan Jerusalem Guest,
Firstly, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review.
As you are probably aware, the Dan Jerusalem is the newest member of the Dan Hotels chain. Since the beginning, we have been focusing on upgrading and enhancing our guest experience, to a level that one expects from a Dan Hotel. It is therefore delightful to read that our efforts to improve our services are indeed being recognized and proving fruitful as suggested by your favorable evaluations. We are pleased that you enjoyed our rich breakfast buffet as well the serenity provided by the surroundings hills and unique panoramic views of the Old City. Thank you for your acknowledgment and compliments of the high level of service provided from our courteous members of staff throughout your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Dan Jerusalem in the near future.
The Management.
israel
Reviewed 23 April 2011

stayed for one night (which is enough)
i got a room which the view from the window was the inside corridor of the hotel
you can not leave the drapes open because the room is in the corner of the floor and facing the inside corridor
so when you stay in the room you don't get to see the sunlight and you you leave the drapes close
when eating breakest ' there are a lot of groups so that you feel like eating in a market
the service in the lobby i could only describe as chaos.
the hotel is situated far from the center of jerusalem' so at night its diffuclt even for an israelian to leave and get back to the hotel
i' for one will never return to this hotel

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zeevIsrael
DanHotelsIsrael, Manager at Dan Jerusalem Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
Dear Dan Jerusalem Guest,
I would like to thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write a review.
Please be assured that we have acknowledged your comments and they are being thoroughly examined. In response to your comments, please allow me to explain that there are 505 luxuriously appointed guest rooms in the hotel, including 62 suites and 45 executive rooms. Some rooms have spectacular and unique panoramic views of the Old City, and some enjoy views of the hotel's lavish grounds.
Being the newest member of the Dan hotel chain, the utmost is being done to upgrade the hotels services to a level that one expects from a Dan Hotel. This includes the level of the rooms, facilities and courtesy from our entire staff.
With hope to transform your impression of the hotel I look forward to the opportunity of hosting you at the Dan Jerusalem in the near future.
The Management