“Not bad but poor service and overpriced”

Dan Jerusalem Hotel
Ranked #34 of 102 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Location a bit far from town. Rooms have no international news channels eg BBC World News or CNN. Front desk service very rude. Nice pool and spa facilities but otherwise I wouldn't stay there again

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 September 2010

I traveled to Jerusalem this month as part of a large tour group. It has been taken over by new owners only in the last couple of months. Despite an elegant multi-level lobby with a nice lounge at the bottom, the rest of the hotel vastly underperforms the expectations set by the entry.

My room had what appeared to be the original late 1980s decor. Furniture and bedding were frankly stained (see pictures). Appliances (TV, hairdryers) were dated as well, probably 20 years old. Bathrooms were clean, but door had deteriorating wood at the bottom, with damaged plaster. We were not lucky enough to have a city view; our courtyard contained two rotting piano-shaped boxes, as well as Jerusalem's ubiquitous stray cats.

Service ranged from spotty to nonexistent, and amenities are subject to surcharges. The hotel charges exorbitant fees for gym and pool use, and WiFi averages about 1 NIS ($0.25) per minute. Staff was frankly rude to one of our group when she tried to use pool and gym. They have abandoned the Minibars--they are in-room refrigerators now. One of our group had a leaking refrigerator and was forced to change rooms. Multiple wake-up calls were missed by the hotel staff in our group--I can verify this because I was woken by my own alarm but never received a phone call on my last night there.

The dining room, which serves buffet-style meals and generally caters to large groups, is very dated, probably with original 1980s decor. As might be expected from a buffet, food was ordinary. There were two birds flying in the room one day, and we saw guano on one of our tables. Just as unappetizing was the large bug zapper above the food service area. Though virtually all of the dining room guests were foreigners, the service staff exclusively spoke Hebrew with marginal English (I can't imagine that they spoke any other languages). Once we asked for two glasses of wine, and they brought...two empty glasses.

Let's hope the new owners turn things around. It's a shame to see such an impressive structure in such mediocre condition.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank ThirtySevenInSF
Reviewed 8 September 2010

the regency hotel has great jerusalem views. they also have a beautiful swimming pool both open and close. but the best thing is that Dan Hotels have took over the hotel and now they have start changing the hotel service and style. I have been coming to this hotel often because my son study at the Hebrew University which is just next the hotel, and on my last visit you could see the change in service, at the lobby and all around the hotel.
i will definitely recommend this hotel at this price now that it is dan.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2010

This hotel is now very recently owned by Dan Hotels...called Dan Jerusalem, not to be confused with the other Dans.. Taxis from airport still know it as The Hyatt...You have to say Mount Scopus! It's away from all the main hotels but is in a lovely position with very easy transport to everywhere on site. All the staff very helpful and friendly, rooms are wonderful with great views of Jerusalem.. Pool and Spa area is amazing, both indoor and outdoor pools. Breakfast buffet is unbelievable.. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Youandi5
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Our stay at the Regency Jerusalem proved to be a nightmare! Just the highlights:
1) Food poisioning from the breakfast buffet
2) The A/C in the room made such noise that it was hard to sleep at all -- the other option would have been to sweat at Jerusalem summer temperatures
3) One night we had no light in our room, it took the technician 1h to fix this.
On the positive side, they gave us a big discount when we checked out and handled the complaint professionally (obviously they are used to complaints....)
In sum, don't stay there!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2010

The Regency is known as the Hyatt. Don't ask but the Israelis know it as its previous self. It is located on Har Hatzofim - Mt Scopus, a beautiful area not really in walking distance to the main attractions.
The hotel has free parking, which is great if your'e using a car for travels in Israel. The pricing was good and they arranged for a connecting room for us and our two young teens.

My parents stayed here and had a great room with view of the city; we were in the basement near the gym and the pool.
And after a long hot day we came back to take a dip and there was an Orthodox wedding in progress, the reception of which was -you guessed it - in the pool area. SO we were unable to do this, with no warning from the hotel.
ALso, our toilet would not flush.
And on the eve of said wedding, we went to the bar to get a snack and a drink - open till 11 and this was 10 - and they weren't serving food any longer. Also, no warning.
When we returned there were 2 inches of water on the floor in the lobby of our room area - there was a leak and at 1 am they were squeegying it up.
Breakfast was ample but everything looked a little old (no one has heard of plastic wrap to keep the tuna salad from having that 5 day old brown-around-the-edges look. And finally, a shocker for Israel, land of amazing coffee: impotent coffee at best!
I think if you're on a budget this is a fairly good mid priced option but I'd get some assurances about where your room is (my parents paid slightly more for their great room), find out if there are any loud events (4 weddings during our two day stay, no kidding. It didnt really bother us except for the pool issue. Interestingly, there were two Jewish weddings and two Arab weddings). If there is a 'breakfast not included" option, I'd take it and get a nice croissant or bureka at your destination.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We brought a group of 30 high school students to Israel to interview and film for documentaries that they are creating and wanted to end their trip in Jerusalem and treat them to what was described to our group as a 4 - 5 star hotel. We were given a quote for the rooms, access to a pool and free wi-fi service for all of our students and hyped up the place to the cohort. Upon arrival we walk into a beautiful vast lobby, bright, cheery, with a marble staircase interwoven with a waterfall. We were all very excited! And that is where it ends.

More than half of the rooms needed to be changed, some two or three times due to mold, dirt, broken A/C units, TV's and safes that failed to work. One of the group leaders finally was upgraded to the "Regency Level", which he says is what he originally expected but not what you would expect as an upgraded to a top level room.

Pool closes at 5 PM, while our students are booked each day from at least 7 am - 7 pm. When are they suppose to use the pool? And who closes a pool at 5 PM at a hotel? Not to mention that it is summer in Israel....

What Wi-Fi? Wi-Fi is only available on the Regency Level floors. All other floors have no way to connect to the internet in their rooms and must do so in the common areas. And it is NOT even close to FREE. $18 per day. And I can't use it in my room. Our group shared logins which at least made it a eensie-teensie-reensie bit more reasonable. Some walked down to the traffic circle on the corner and were able to get free Wi-Fi from the street!

The rooms. Beyond the having to move so much, the rooms were less than average. Holiday Inn is better then these rooms, shy of the bathroom. The bathroom is more like a Marriott Courtyard Hotel. The double occupancy room with a double bed is actually two twin beds pushed together and made up separately. For the students they were at least happy to be able to pull the beds apart. TV's are falling apart, limited channels and poor reception. Safes did not work, and were not fixed. Toilet bowls were stained in black mold (we never saw a room without this) and we asked to have them cleaned again explaining the mold, yet nothing changed. The rest of the bathroom was nice, large tubs, good water pressure, plenty of counter space. Could definitely be cleaner (even the ones which had to be re-cleaned before students unpacked.). Carpet worn and stained. Phone worn with tattered cords, all buttons send you to the operator.

No refrigerator in room or ice in hallways. You must call room service and I had to say that I needed the ice for an injury to avoid having to pay a delivery charge. No irons, again 2 places in the entire hotel, this is not a small hotel. Only 3 outlets in room and they are all in the corner by the back window. Not near the desk, the bed or the bathroom. Business travellers should be afraid, very afraid. I have left my camera battery twice as it is hidden behind a chair for charging.

Amenities include two hotel size bars of soap, shampoo with conditioner and a shower cap. I'm still trying to find more, but nothing yet!! Definitely not Wi-Fi or cable TV!!

The staff is not helpful and at times can be rude or just totally ignore you. I was fortunated to have one pseudo-possitive experience with the head server and executive chef of the dining room, however I think it was because I was wearing a tank top which at that moment my purse was pulling it down a little bit, showing cleavage. They immediately denied a special request, and then I noticed them eyeing my chest and just like that I had what I needed. I should feel abhored but finally for once something got done right.

The meeting rooms were nice, though the seat covers are worn out and torn. There again are no outlets in many of the rooms, so I had to charge things in the hallway. At times they would either be way too hot or way too cold. We wanted to have water in the rooms which apparently not an available option. I went to the bar to request a glass of water and all I got was a 3-oz plastic cup. He was happy to refill it while I was there, but he wasn't going to let me take a glass to the meeting room.

Wake-up calls were never made.

Food was okay, cafeteria style meal. Left over dinner became breakfast. And I'm sure if we had lunch there it would be the same! Omelets were good, but most foods lacked seasoning and flavor. Are we not where the food is known for it's savory Mediterranean spices and flavors?! I do give high marks for the dessert as there was a wide selection in which the majority were really tasty! Just don't try to take a plate to go when you are running late for a meeting. You will not get passed the front door and if you do they will corner you at the elevator!

Hotel bar is small, closes early, limited selection. Dirty and not maintained throughout the day. Loud as voices amplify and blend in together.

Ugh! I really must stop as it is getting late and want to go back to my room where there is not internet service.

Again, run fast and bring your Lysol!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business