“Relaxed, comfy hotel with friendly professional staff & attractive decor”
Review of Hotel Prima Palace

Hotel Prima Palace
Ranked #44 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Brooklyn, New York
“Relaxed, comfy hotel with friendly professional staff & attractive decor”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Having arrived at about 06h30 following my flight from JFK to TLV, the charming front desk staff enabled me to check in early, just as they allowed me to check out late on my day of departure.

The courtyard of the hotel is very attractive, as is the lobby, as are the accommodations.

Breakfast at the hotel is copious, fresh, quite varied & delicious. Unfortunately I'm unable to say as much about the food served in the banquet rooms on the hotel's lower level (i.e., cheap, unattractive, tasteless food, criminally overcooked, that my dogs would disdainfully refuse to eat).

But as man lives not by bread alone, the substandard banquet food did little to detract from the joyous celebration of a Bar Mitzvah at the Kotel (aka Western Wall) & a non-stop stream of wonderful activities organised by the Bar Mitzvah boy's parents for all four generations of celebrants hailing from Belgium, Canada, Israel, The Netherlands, the UK & the US.

Room Tip: I believe that all the rooms in the Prima Palace are equally comfy & well appointed. As such, I...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ecnyc7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
New York NY
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The hotel is centrally located, the Ultra Orthodox center to one side and the night life to the other. Most of the people working there really care - which is why I couldn't give them a lone star.

Expedia lists this hotel as one with free parking. Upon arrival I was told that parking is on a first come first served basis. Fair enough, only there are only 5 parking spots they told me. 5 spots for a hotel with 76 rooms!

I was about to lose it when the worker informed me, ever so kindly that if I come back down at 11PM (that was 8PM) she can guarantee me a spot. Imagine my surprise when I see the hotel employee pulling out of the complimentary spot at 11pm. I can't think of service worse than this.

Room Tip: If you stay at this hotel do not expect to find parking - even around the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Shloime E
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 February 2012

The hotel is located very well: practically on the corner of Davidka square, with easy walking access to restaurants, banks, and places of interest such as Yafo street and Mamilla street. Transportation is easy with the new light rail literally around the corner. The hotel itself has a very welcoming courtyard and a cozy lobby. Rooms are clean but small. This is a hotel which caters to very religious Jewish public, which would really be no problem, except for one thing: the beds are always separate, even if you ask for a double bed (in other words, you can only get two twin beds pushed together, and the mattresses will be separate). Keep this in mind if considering a romantic stay with your significant other.
Overall, this is a decent option for someone who just wants to stay in a good location for a decent price, and will not spend much time inside the hotel itself.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank kutya
Israel
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We stayed over the weekend/Shabbat, and it was our second visit in the past three years. I was using a voucher for two that I had been given, so I cannot comment on price or value for money. The overall design is pleasant and minimal. It reminds me more of a European city hotel where you expect a clean room and minimal luxuries because the Palace has a great location center of town and is not a 'destination hotel' with many activities at the hotel and luxuries to waste your time in the room. Since the hotel caters mostly to Jewish Orthodox patrons, the tv (as of Jan 12) was a smallish CRT tv with the free local channels as well as BBC, CNN, and Israeli kids' channel . If you are Jewish and do not watch TV, ask the staff to remove the 'box'.

Check-in was pretty quick, and we also did pre-checkout. The hotel offers regular keys for the observant Jew on Shabbat. The food was plentiful and fine, even bordering on great for some dishes. While the meals were buffet-based, the waiters did visit our table and anticipated cleanup and water refills. The mashgiach (kosher supervisor) was very nice grandfather-type who spoke at least three languages and updated the guests at each meal with times and guidelines. We sat nearby during the meals and he ate in gulps between speaking with guests, some singing, and overlooking the dining room and kitchen staff.

Shabbat prayer services were fine, and I assume because of the wide variety of guests, somewhat simple and 'non-denominational' without much singing at all. I think most guests came for both evening services, though it seemed many chose to visit other synagogues in the morning.

We only had one problem we noticed minutes before Shabbat of the room safe having a low battery, and it was rectified promptly by an older maintenance man who was nice. When he noticed that he could not fix it after a few minutes, he replaced the entire door to save time and tinkering. I was really impressed with the entire situation because I has been downstairs at the front desk when I remembered to complain (admittedly late) and the maintenance man was already at our room when I got back upstairs.

I think our walk to the old city took 25 minutes. Though HaNeviim St is more historical and architecturally interesting, if you are walking to the old city, I recommend going by Yafo St, which is now closed to wheeled vehicles due to the new tramway, because it is more direct and you avoid the downhill and then uphill part on HaNeviim.

We would gladly stay again.

In reply to a previous guest, I think that the Shabbat timetable handed out now had some English translation as well.

Room Tip: There are large rooms at the extremities of the floors and regular rooms in the middle. I think that...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 123Josh
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights during my time in Jerusalem.

Location was in the Jewish Quarter.

The rooms were carpeted and they only have single beds, so if you order a double, you get twin beds

Staff can all speak English and are helpful, they helped me book the Prima in Tel Aviv.

I stayed in a double room, which had 2 twin beds. The room was carpeted and clean. Plenty of room for a solo traveler. The room was decorated in retro green and needed some modernisation, but that did not bother me. The room also had a water tap with a bowl - which fascinated me. Apparently it for Jews to wash after "powdering their nose". Thoughtful.

I booked thru booking.com and I find out chatting to other guests that I had got the room very cheap indeed. I also heard the price the staff was giving to walk in guests. Book in advance is my suggestion. Obvious.

The hotel has a nice walk in garden with steel gates at the entrance. They also had a guard 24/7 - so security was good. Not that I felt I needed it.

Breakfast was amazing. Choice galore!

I was the only non-Jew staying at the hotel. So walking around in vibrant clothes, shorts and flip flops got some looks. However, I found the Jewish people very friendly and had some great conversations with men of varying ages.

Do note, if you are a non-Jew, please respect their customs and dont strike up conversations with Jewish women.Simply smile, be friendly and the men will start chatting to you once they have weighed you up.

Overall, an interesting experience and one I would do again, as I found mixing with Strict Jews very enjoyable indeed. Nice people.

One tip on staying in Jerusalem.
During Shabat, don't expect the hotel to pick up the phone. Everything stops in Jerusalem,

My advice, dont stay in Jerusalem during Shabat if you are not a practising Jew.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank MatthewESQ
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 5 January 2012

To start with the positives: The location is really central, just off the Jaffa street. You can walk to both the old city and the central bus station, and the HaDavidka trail stop fo the new Jerusalem light trail is just two-minutes walk from the hotel.
We had a room on the topmost floor, on the streetside, and it was quiet. Only disturbing noise was on Sabbat because the Sabbat elevator was located opposite our room and it kept making a beeping noise all through the night at regular intervals. Room was clean and generally ok, except for the air conditioning which at the beginning of your stay was broken. It was however fixed when we complained in the reception.
Another good point in the hotel was the breakfast, which had a large selection.

However there was one problem which made things far harder than they should have been. The hotel seems to cater mainly for the Hebrew-speaking crowd, as most of the info was only provided in that language. For example, there were no Sabbat timetables available in English, and when we asked we were told that the breakfast is as normal in Sabbat – we has no way of knowing about the special meal arrangements (when the brunch is served) which in this case turned out to be so late we ended up just drinking a cup of coffee before leaving for the day. Another puzzling thing is that the info binder in the room which in most hotels contains all the basic info about the hotel, here included only stationery. No information about where everything is located in the hotel, how to use the phone (it had only labels in Hebrew), in-room-safe, air conditioning or when and where the meals are served…
This was the only hotel in all our stays in Israel where we have encountered this problem, and it left us feeling a bit unwelcome.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Veyka
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My family and I stayed at the Prima Palace during Succos 5772--2011. I highly recommend the hotel to one and all. The location cannot be beat---just a few blocks from Geula, Meah Shearim, Rechov Yaffo, Machne Yehudah, etc. While the hotel rooms are a bit small, they were nice and clean, and the service was very friendly and helpful. The hotel was completely renovated a few years ago, and the hotel lobby, the large dining rooms and wedding halls, and the guestrooms are all in very good condition and are very pleasing to the eye. The food was plentiful and very tasty. The waiters were nice and efficient. All in all, we had a wonderful experience.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
PrimaHotels, Manager at Hotel Prima Palace, responded to this review, 30 October 2011
Wow!
Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed and wonderful review.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Prima Palace and that you enjoyed your time in Jerusalem.

Hope to see you again soon in Jerusalem!