“Nice Kibbutz Hotel”

Ramat Rachel Resort
Ranked #48 of 100 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 8 November 2012

This hotel sits high overlooking Jerusalem and Bethlehem on the grounds of Kibbutz Ramat Rachel. Beautiful gardens and grounds to enjoy. The rooms are comfortable and clean, nothing fancy, not lavish as described in brochure. we did not experience problems with noise. The food was good (kosher) and a lot to choose from buffet. If it weren't for all the walking I did, I would have gained weight. Breakfast and dinner included in cost of room. Hotel services were good. Available were coffee shop, souvenir shop, (tad on the high side), free WiFi in lobby. The front desk was always helpful. The grounds are large and the only thing that I didn't like was one has to walk 2 blocks to get to the pool area.It would be nice for hotel customers to have a closer entrance.There was no extra charge for use of pool. It is quite a bit out of Jerusalem, but there is a bus stop from the hotel. If you are on a tour or group you will not have a problem with travel.

Room Tip: This is a popular place for Jewish weddings. It was nice to watch and listen from respectful distanc...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Brenda V

Reviewed 14 September 2012

Technically, Ramat Rachel isn't in Jerusalem. The hotel lies on the grounds of Kibbutz Ramat Rachel, just south of the city's border. That means you cannot walk to almost any places of interest (remember the first three rules of real estate?).

There is bus service from the hotel to the center of town and then to the central bus station (bus #7), but Jerusalem's famous bad traffic should also be taken into account when trip planning. Leave early (which means a quick breakfast) to avoid being stuck in rush-hour traffic all morning.

Service is average. The rooms have been renovated, but the hotel lobby looks overused (there is free WiFi there).

The hotel food is also average. Be sure to eat out, as dinner here isn't cheap.

I recommend staying nearer to the center of town. For the same money, you can bunk at the YMCA Three Arches Hotel (just across the street from the King David).

Room Tip: Be sure your room faces south and not into the courtyard of the hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank priest22
Reviewed 9 September 2012

This hotel is on the outskirts of Jerusalem in a beautiful area but not too far from the center. The renovated rooms are beautiful and very comfortable. The food is good. The garden around the hotel is lovely, with a big swimming pool and a fantastic view of Jerusalem.

Room Tip: The renovated rooms are superb.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shira K
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed here for four nights this past July and overall liked the place. Breakfast was good and the one evening we had dinner the buffet was fine. An interesting mingle of tourists, Jewish and Arabic populations. Front desk staff was a bit less than charming and not entirely helpful. Yes it's a bit out the city, but there is direct bus service for about $2.50 for a 20 minute ride. Try not to let the insane bus operators frighten you, as their driving is consistent with the style of the local population (warlike and agressive). From the looks of the bus system fender benders are frequent, but we never witnessed an accident. The room was fine except the climate control was really either turned on or off as controls did not regulate the AC temperature. We had two rooms and it was specific to our room, so you will likely be OK.The exhaust in the bathroom was odd as it would turn itself on an off at random times. This was not helpul when attempting to dry bathing suits or washed clothing a on a long vacation - nothing ever dried. We found this, typical of hotels in Israel as bathroom ventilation is very spotty. I read a few complaints about the pool but don't get it. Large with ample grassy areas (unfortunately covered with cigarette butts, as Israel is in a 1960 time warp when it comes to smoking). The water slide is excellent for kids young and old. One thing a bit annoying was a charge of about $7 to use the gym located on the pool site. I found this obnoxius and it should be done away with. But all in all, we enjoyed our stay. How many hotels include their own archeological park that include ruins from the first temple period, Roman and Byzantine times?

Room Tip: Try to see your room first and test HVAC thermostat.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I had a terrible and unacceptable experince in this hotel. I spent 3 nights there, and right after the first day I realized that my ipad was missing from the room. I reported the incident to the reception immediately and then my drama began... No one was responsible or authorized to do anything, so I had to call the police personally. I accused directly the man who cleaned the rooms, because he was the only one who entered my room (I assume!!!). Even the general manager did not respond to the police requests, "hiding" behind a telephone conversation not giving them any information at all.
I realized from the hotel staff that this kibbutz-hotel employes immigrands without a working licence - and imagine - they have keys to the rooms!!!
I gave them the chance to find my ipad and send it to me but they totally ignored me.

This incident ruined my vacation and costed me a lot of money.

My negative review of this hotel is not biased by this incident. This was the 3rd year in a row (and the last of course) that I stayed there and I have realized a gradual decay in all aspects and services: the food is terrible, the rooms are dirty, broken elements in the bathrooms that nobody takes care of them etc... I have stayed in many kibbutz-hotels in Israel and I have had a great time. This one is a disgrace for Israel!

I will see them once again - unfortunately - in court... (which again will cost me a lot of money since I live in Greece).
So... STAY AWAY from this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank tgian
Reviewed 16 August 2012

A lot has already been said in the previous reviews. In short :
- don't expect to be located at a walking distance of anything. You must have a car.
- overall the rooms are OK and the web site pictures are quite reprentative of what you get.
- what I can add for the readers, and what is not mentionned by the hotel's web site is that the pool area and the so called 'sports center' is opened to anyone, not only the hotel guests. This means many israelis with families come in during the day, which makes a big difference (noisy, over crowded). Before booking in Ramat Rachel, you should know it : this nice sunny place with lots of activities is not private but public.
- and the cherry on the cake, there was an incident with my wife at the pool. There are 3 pools over there, and surprisingly, there's one pool in which ladies must wear a bath cap. My 10 year old daughter was not aware of it, and was gotten out of the pool because of that. While my brother in law was getting back to his room to take a cap, my wife tried to get explanations from the 2 life guards of that pool. She asked why the cap was mandatory for ladies and not gents. The young israeli femal life guard answered very badly ('don't p**s me off with your questions'), and my wife left and said it was a stupid rule. When I went to the two of them to get their names ( for further complains to the hotel manager), the male israeli life guard asked my wife to get out of the pool ! The guy was so arrogant and treated us with such disrepect that we got angry. Obviously we didn't leave the pool, and the security guy who came later on didn't do anything (we are a sinple family of tourists with children and old people as well). I've travelled to many places in and out of Israel, and I've never seen such rude personnel.
Ah, I almost forgot the best part of the story : 2 mins after the incident, the same life guards had to evacuate the pool because some faeces were found in the pool which was watched by those so competent folks.
We have paid $2000+ for 6 nights in this hotel, but we cannot complain about this incident because the pool is managed separately.

As a conclusion, if you're interested in this hotel for the pool area for your children, here's a wise piece of advice : walk away from this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 9 August 2012 via mobile

just spent 5 nights there , overall very pleased , good breakfast great pools and nice rooms , only downside is the location , need a car to get to the old city or a bus , staff were good , for a kibbutz hotel we were pleasently suprised

• Stayed: August 2012