“Good value for money, but not perfect”

Ramat Rachel Resort
Ranked #41 of 98 Hotels in Jerusalem
Dan
“Good value for money, but not perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

Pros:
Our Room was comfortable and it had extra super long (as he width of the room) sofa next to the window on which 2 children can sleep.

We also got great extra bed for our baby which exceeded all expectations. (Babies younger than 2 years old are 4 free as far as I can remember).

The are other rooms in the south flank which are entirely new and the whole south flank really looks fantastic for a 4 star hotel. Ask only for the south flank if you can.

The wi-fi internet is for free in is active in the lobby and even in the sports center. (For travelers with no laptop there are 3 computers for use but not for free)
The accessories in bathroom were excellent and new (from the Israeli brand “Hamat” which are considered very good), there was a great comfortable dispenser with liquid soap which can be used in one hand both in the bath and near the sink.

The receptionists were very polite although the hotel was almost full.
In the 6th floor they enabled an access to the external roof which had a stunning view over several parts of the Jerusalem (unfortunately not to the north direction, so you cannot see the ancient city), and there was also a room on the roof for the winter.

The hotel is surrounded with nice gardens, and you can have a pleasant walk in the evening.

Dinner was excellent besides the deserts (Which was Kosher thus cannot include any milk based desert – quite understandable for a jewish hotel though.)

Most of the lobby & surroundings is handicapped friendly

Both pools (children & elder) in the sports center are great and they also have there a nice big bubble tub and tennis courts.

Cons:

I phoned the hotel before making the reservations and there were few things that I was told which were not accurate:

Since I made my reservation on the last minute, I got an exceptional promise (Something which they generally not do) to get refurbished room. My room in the bottom most floor near the dining room was half-refurbished (Opposed to the new south flank). The furniture (Table, closet & chest of drawers) was old and worn out and safe inside the closet was not working properly (But I didn’t complain about it).
Since it was the jewish Sukkot holiday, I wanted to eat my dinner in the sukkah, and I was told over the phone that it was no problem. In practice, when I entered the hotel, I asked about it and they told me that all seats are reserved in advance and it is not possible. I came late for dinner, and asked if I can sit in the the sukkah instead of people which were already gone, and the waiter denied me, and only on the 3rd time he checked if it was possible. After returning with a negative answer he did not do any effort to find me a place during the dinner although lots of people from the sukkah returned to their room and the waiter did not look very busy to me.
I also saw an old handicapped person making a very long and slow travel from the food counters to his seat in the sukkah with a food plate in one hand and a cup of coffee in his other hand. Non of the “not so busy” waiters rushed to help him and after a minute or saw I got up from my seat and helped him by myself. He was very grateful for this.
Bottom line, I would expect the service over the phone to be more credible and the service in the dining room to be more sensitive and considerate.

The room furniture was partly worn out as I sad earlier and in addition, there was absolutely no information flier inside about the services the hotel provides, besides instructions for the safe which was broken anyway. I even had to guess the reception number in order to phone them. (remember: it is ‘0’).
In the bathroom, the toilet button had no economy mode as most of toilet buttons have already for years, so there was no information about how to flush only half the water amount as I am used to.
The Wi-Fi connectivity failed to work in my room, and the receptionists told me that it is supposed to work only in the lobby.

The breakfast was average with no pastries (such as croissant/burekas) and no one was making omelets for you per your request as they do in most Israeli 4/5 stars hotels. But maybe all this was because that the hotel is pretty religious and it was the eve of a Sukkot jewish holiday

The sports center demands a 3 minute walk outside the hotel (Although there is a forbidden direct access from the 3rd floor as I discovered in a travel I did).
Inside the sports center there are a lot of stairs so it is not handicapped friendly, the gym is very big but entering it for the hotel tenants costs additional 25 NIS, the pools are external and do not fit the winter (they started to build a new internal pool which will only be ready at least a year from now to my estimation), there is a water slide for the children (weirdly planned far away from the pool) which was not active.

The hotel location is far away from Jerusalem city center, so you must use public transportation to get to the old city.

Bottom line, despite all these cons, the hotel is pretty nice and as long as you don’t expect too much, it gives pretty much good value for the money.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank rans11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia suburb
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

We worked on an Archeological project at Ramat Rachel. We stayed and ate in the hotel during the dig. The staff is very helpful. The bar has the best coffee around. The meals are wonderful. Although the part of the hotel we stayed in is the older section, it is comfortable and we were there for almost three weeks. Wonderful balcony overlooking the spa and pool.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2010

It is difficult to find a hotel accomodating 2 adults and 2 children in israel. Ramat Rachel's deluxe room gave all four of us comfortable, clean space and plenty of extra room to spread out. The bathroom was big, clean and a great shower. We had a lot of fun at the pool and loved the big Israeli breakfast including in our stay. Definately highly recommended for your next Jerusalem visit.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2010

I was the guest/travel companion of a friend who was staying at the Ramat Rachel for business. She seemed fine with the accommodations. I, on the other hand, would have moved to another hotel if I was paying. With the exchange at that time, I think the rate was around $165. As an earlier commenter posted, that's too steep for what is essentially a motor lodge. If the room had been clean at least, I could easily forgive the property's other weaknesses (dirty upholstery on lobby furniture, mediocre paid breakfast, far from city center (but a bus stop right at hotel, points for that!!). They are remodeling but we were in one of the older rooms. The rug had several large stains (I refused to walk barefoot on it) and my bedcover had spots of some dried substance on it. One of the two blankets in the closet was filthy (my roommate's pronouncement). We left those two items on the floor with a note asking for clean replacements. We returned to the room to find housekeeping had stuffed them into the closet and did not replace either, ever. I let my friend use the clean blanket and bedcover and I slept in my long underwear and was warm enough. The bathrooms were haphazardly cleaned. There is a blow dryer but all amenities are dispensed from containers in the shower. A couple positives: the water pressure and temperature were excellent! And our room was quiet. After my friend returned to the US, I stayed another week in Jerusalem lodging in the Old City at the Ecce Homo Convent and the Christ Church Guest House. Both were an improvement over Ramat Rachel. Spartan but clean, well located, atmospheric (hearing the muezzin calling) and excellent price. Plus breakfast!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank FrancaBolla
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2010

Considering they charge half of most Jerusalem hotels, this is a good experience if you want to stay at a Kibbutz. Everything is just ok and if you're there on a sabbath, don't expect room service. Good to be away from hustle and bustle.

On the upside, we watched the sheep graze on the hills outside Bethlehem. That was worth the stay. There's a wonder to this Holy Land, you wonder constantly if you are looking at the same hillsides as Mary and Joseph.

• Stayed February 2010
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2009

I was traveling with a fairly large group and Ramat Rachel did a great job accommodating all our needs. They have a spacious theater where we had lectures as well as a couple different gathering spaces. We stayed here while traveling all over Israel and it was a great comfort to pull up at the end of a long day of adventure. Can't speak to the prices because it was covered by work. The pool was a great place to cool off too!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2008

This is expensive for what it is. We paid US$200 a night. It's billed as a kibutz but you don't get a sense of that when you stay. It's like a giant, run-down, motorway hotel. It's full of tour groups and is on Jerusalem's outskirts.
The worst thing was the staff. Miserable, unhelpful and reluctant. Big thumbs down.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends