“An Oasis”

The American Colony Hotel
Ranked #11 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
“An Oasis”
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Just the nicest hotel I've stayed in. I always stay every time I'm in Israel. Great staff, lovely rooms, nice pool with a decent gym, a good choice of places to eat within the hotel and the summer garden is a very nice place to drink and have great food straight from the grill (on my last visit Woody Harrelson and John Cusack strolled in for a beer)

I can't rate this place high enough. People tell me it was better 10 years ago, well it must have been fantastic because it's doing fine now.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 30 September 2013

if there is a hotel where you feel Jerusalem its the American Colony, home to Lawrence of Arabia
and Churchill. Not just a place to sleep but a building steeped in history and 10 minutes from the old city. Diana at reception is a wonder and sami and jihad attentive as ever, But the real secret is abu madi, if you want to see the holy land with an honest taxi here is your man. The new manager pays attention however the only issue is if you have a rom in the back the mosque ITS LOUD ..............if there is a middle east peace agreement part of it should be on the a volume control on this mosque

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Ipswich, UK
Reviewed 25 September 2013

last time I came here they were rebuilding one of the buildings opposite the main entrance and this time I stayed there..room 36 in the Palm House. It has the most amazing photographs and got me hooked into seeing the rest of the stuff on the walls. It reminded me why I enjoyed it so much last time.
For me , as you can see in my other reviews, practical issues are usually the most important. Wifi working well, water pressure, comfy beds, good blackouts. What impressed me again was that all that stuff works ( and the WiFi and international calls !!! were free) and yet it had so much more to offer. I met the GM there who was Italian I think and didn't get any particularly political or religious vibes .
A word about the location.There are four hotels right opposite - none particularly exciting I have to say- and was very near the tram. It's a bit dark in the streets around the hotel so I didn't stroll at night, but walked down the main street from the hotel to the Old City and whilst it's not Tel Aviv or even modern Jerusalem, it was sort of much more mid-East than I expected, messy, haphazard and a bit noisy around the shops, but hey, I didn't go to Jerusalem to be in London so I quite enjoyed it. I do see why some reviewers might not like it but personally I can't say it spoilt anything.

My only reservation about the hotel was one night there seemed to be a party and the car park was choc a block. But Suleiman ( he must be the security guy?) offered to park it for me and then brought me the key to my room so I can't say I suffered too badly. I have not changed my review for this one..still the best!

Room Tip: I prefer rooms in the out-buildings ( West and Palm I think) .Seem to be larger.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2013

You step in from the 3rd world chaos of the East Jerusalem neighbourhood that it's in, and you feel like an expat in any other 3rd world country when you step into an enclave run by Western standards of order and cleanliness. It's a great feeling, but unnecessary in Jerusalem because one can just stay in the Western part of the city, a few blocks away. Still one can feel like a diplomat or foreign correspondent in the days of manual typewriters strapped to camel trains.

GREAT things about this hotel include the wonderful architecture, the charm of 100 years of patina, the pool, the dining courtyard which is charming by night and by day, and the quality of the food.

DISAPPOINTING things include the location (almost all attractions require a cab ride) and the occasional episodes of thoughtless service.

OFFENSIVE things include two political statements that are uncalled for in a hotel. Our guide, a native Hebrew speaker, spoke to the reception staff on arrival in Hebrew. They answered in English in a way that suggested that Hebrew was not a welcome language here. As well, a salad of cucumbers and tomatoes in the buffet, known throughout Israel as "Israeli salad"--and thus identified on menus elsewhere--was here labelled "Oriental Salad".

I thoroughly believe that it is a hotel's business to make every guest feel welcome, and not to distinguish guests by ethnicity, religion, or any other feature. Clearly management and I disagree on this, so I'll be staying somewhere else next time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank intrepid1406
General M, General Manager at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking your time to post a review of the American Colony Hotel on Trip Advisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

Thank you for your positive comments on the ambiance and character of the hotel, the recently redesigned pool area, our famous Courtyard and the quality of our gastronomy.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the hotels position. The hotel is situated on the seam of East and West Jerusalem. Most guests like this, but some don’t. You need only look at most of the other reviews to see that for nearly all reviewers it is a plus and for a small minority a minus. As a statistical sample, an overall score on Trip Advisor of 4 stars on this category is “very good” as opposed to “excellent”. A cab ride is necessary for most visits in Jerusalem from any hotel as they are spread out and actually our location right on the Jerusalem Light Rail Line is seen by most as a positive. We would suggest that each traveler check the map carefully and see which area suits him or her best.

Regarding your comments about the language spoken, you are correct, not all our staff speak fluent Hebrew. There is no political agenda , just the fact that the vast majority of our guests are from abroad and not Jewish (as the hotel is not kosher) and so it is not something we consider a pre-requisite. Being an equal opportunity employer we do not deny employment opportunities to non – Hebrew speakers, who make up nearly one third of Jerusalem’s population. We do have quite a few Israeli guests coming especially for the food and a growing number of guests from Tel Aviv who come for the weekend and they have no problem with this - again check reviews of Israelis on Trip Advisor who seem to understand the unique location. Similarly, to most international guests, an “Israeli salad” conveys no useful information on the contents of the salad as it is not an internationally recognized description and we felt “Oriental salad” was more descriptive. However , we will review your suggestion and consider changing the description if we find your view shared by others.

I look forward to welcoming you back in person to the American Colony in the near future, and would be happy to discuss the issues you mention in greater detail.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Brugnatelli

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

American Colony is no doubt a charming hotel steeped in history. Service provided was very good. Room is large and reasonably clean. Meals in the quadrangle was the most atmospheric. Quality of food (breakfast and dinner) was excellent.

However the neighborhood around the hotel is a bit sketchy (sometimes smelly), compare to West Jerusalem, even though we never felt unsafe. One might take a cab ride to the Old City, but traffic could be a problem.

Many of the linen and towels are stained. Other hotels in Israel seem to have the same problem.

Breakfast serves until 1030. At 1029 when your guest is getting his last few pieces of fruit, would you a) invite and help your guest with his last round of breakfast? Or b) invite your guest to play the game of "see who gets the serving tongs and spoons first"?

It was fun. Makes other highly acclaimed establishments like Ritz Carlton and Silversea boring.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank SuperRadiationBoy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We had a fantastic stay here and I can't wait to go bac.

The hotel is beautiful and historic with stunning gardens and a lovely pool.

The staff are incredibly polite and helpful and amongst the best i have experienced in any hotel.

Beautiful rooms and a really sweet botanic garden.

There are a number of bars, restaurants and shops within the hotel itself, all of which are top quality but the ambience of the place is still so tranquil and relaxing.

Breakfast is amazing. Go there - you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Beijing, China
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is easily the best hotel in Jerusalem. The decor and grounds are beautiful. All around, the service is impeccable and staff members are friendly. The staff and ladies at reception are extremely helpful and accommodating. This place is easily one of my favorite places to stay in the world.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business