“Classic hotel. Great experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The American Colony Hotel

The American Colony Hotel
Ranked #10 of 97 Hotels in Jerusalem
State College, Pa
“Classic hotel. Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

This is a classic hotel with great service and facilities. We stayed 5 nights. The room, the upgraded pasha suite was beautifully appointed and spacious. Beautiful black and white bathroom. The room was quiet and private. Great staff and service. Great breakfasts.

Room Tip: Pasha suite number 55. Quiet and private with balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mkoz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Hebrew first
Port Matilda, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

A classic hotel. Private, quiet. The room, a pasha suite was spacious and well appointed. Beautiful black and white bathroom. The staff was attentive and very accommodating great experience. . Great breakfasts.

Room Tip: The upgraded pasha suite room 55 was very private and quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

There cannot be any other lace in the world like the American Colony! Its understated class and charm exude from everywhere. Our room in the Palm House will never be forgotten. We had drinks each evening in the outdoor bar, and cherish that memory even now!

Room Tip: My wife had the BST massage of her life at the hotel!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QuincyKid
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is going to be a bit of a poor review, but when an establishment sets a very high standard, it is by those standards that it is judged. We did not stay so didn't see the rooms; we had a drink next to the courtyard and a meal in the cellar bistro. The site is quite beautiful, an oasis of calm on a side street, away from the frantic bustle of this wide-awake city. As we arrived, there was no greet. We sat and waited in the comfy chairs next to the door to the courtyard which acts as a daytime coffee shop. No one came. We went to fetch someone, who come a good ten minutes later. No drinks menu offered. The drinks - one beer and a pot of tea, took 35 minutes. No apologies. These members of staffs were not English speakers; they struggled. OK, we were in Jerusalem, but this is the American Colony; there is a clue in the name. This is where English speaking people, mainly US citizens and Brits stay. The quality of the food in the Bistro was average; two of us had burgers with indifferent fries and my wife had the squid starter as a main course which was very good. The house red was French (Corbieres) rather than local. All in all, l am glad we went, for the experience. But we wouldn't go back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SBfromPateley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Just the nicest hotel I've stayed in. I always stay every time I'm in Israel. Great staff, lovely rooms, nice pool with a decent gym, a good choice of places to eat within the hotel and the summer garden is a very nice place to drink and have great food straight from the grill (on my last visit Woody Harrelson and John Cusack strolled in for a beer)

I can't rate this place high enough. People tell me it was better 10 years ago, well it must have been fantastic because it's doing fine now.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

if there is a hotel where you feel Jerusalem its the American Colony, home to Lawrence of Arabia
and Churchill. Not just a place to sleep but a building steeped in history and 10 minutes from the old city. Diana at reception is a wonder and sami and jihad attentive as ever, But the real secret is abu madi, if you want to see the holy land with an honest taxi here is your man. The new manager pays attention however the only issue is if you have a rom in the back the mosque ITS LOUD ..............if there is a middle east peace agreement part of it should be on the a volume control on this mosque

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Ipswich, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

last time I came here they were rebuilding one of the buildings opposite the main entrance and this time I stayed there..room 36 in the Palm House. It has the most amazing photographs and got me hooked into seeing the rest of the stuff on the walls. It reminded me why I enjoyed it so much last time.
For me , as you can see in my other reviews, practical issues are usually the most important. Wifi working well, water pressure, comfy beds, good blackouts. What impressed me again was that all that stuff works ( and the WiFi and international calls !!! were free) and yet it had so much more to offer. I met the GM there who was Italian I think and didn't get any particularly political or religious vibes .
A word about the location.There are four hotels right opposite - none particularly exciting I have to say- and was very near the tram. It's a bit dark in the streets around the hotel so I didn't stroll at night, but walked down the main street from the hotel to the Old City and whilst it's not Tel Aviv or even modern Jerusalem, it was sort of much more mid-East than I expected, messy, haphazard and a bit noisy around the shops, but hey, I didn't go to Jerusalem to be in London so I quite enjoyed it. I do see why some reviewers might not like it but personally I can't say it spoilt anything.

My only reservation about the hotel was one night there seemed to be a party and the car park was choc a block. But Suleiman ( he must be the security guy?) offered to park it for me and then brought me the key to my room so I can't say I suffered too badly. I have not changed my review for this one..still the best!

Room Tip: I prefer rooms in the out-buildings ( West and Palm I think) .Seem to be larger.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo