The American Colony Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$693
US$660
US$357
Shamai Suites(Jerusalem)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$164
Dan Jerusalem Hotel(Jerusalem)(Great Value!)
US$220
  • Pool
Hotel Yehuda(Jerusalem)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$181
City Center Jerusalem(Jerusalem)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$111
Agoda.com
1,152 results
All reviewscellar bareast jerusalempasha roompalm houselawrence of arabiasummer gardenleading hotels of the worlddamascus gateold citycall to prayermain buildinghistoric hoteljunior suitemodern amenitieswonderful hotelnice poolan upgrade
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 March 2009

Was a bit apprehensive after reading previous reviews but have to say that I think they were wrong. Is it the perfect hotel, well no- but would I stay there again should I go to Jerusalem- definately. Unlike a lot of the other well-known hotels in Jerusalem, eg King David this hotel has a lot of personality and charm. Tend to be biased towards smaller hotels anyway, but I think the highlights were i) Service- I got to the hotel really early so the room wasn't ready (and on a stormy Saturday no less) but the front desk did all they could to make me comfortable. Service throughout was excellent- very friendly people ii) The Cellar Bar- yes I know you don't have to stay there to use it, but still it makes it a lot easier if you are staying on-site. Full of interesting people- I stayed 5 nights and ended up having a drink thyere every night. Wasn't unusual to get involved in a conversation with a Palestinian journalist, a couple of US State Department staffers and a Jewish poet. Seemed like one of the few places in the city where you could say what you thought. iii) Gym- was small but adequate. iv) Food- restaraunt was very good v) Room- very charming decor vi) ambience- pretty quiet and laid back, definately not your bustling mega-hotel. My one gripe would be location- its not a long walk to the old city (maybe 15-20 mins max depending on which gate you wanted), but there aren't a lot of dining options within a 10 minute walk (but I gather that's the case with most of Jerusalem). Would stay again when next in Jerusalem.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2009

We stayed at the American colony the last two days of our visit to Israel. I stayed here once before, in 2002, and have waited to be able to return since.

We didnt have a reservation, but decided to stop by, to see if we were lucky enough, to get a room anyway.

The hotel was pretty full. It seems that many journalists from all over the world, and people working for the UN tend to stay here a lot. So eventhough it isn´t holiday, it might be a good idea to book a room in advance.

We were told that there was a couple of double rooms and some suites left. The only problem was the price. This hotel is definently among the more expensive ones in Jerusalem. We decided that it was a bit over our budget and were sad that we had to look around for cheaper accomodation.

However, after looking around for an hour across the city in a cab (wich, eventhough they are pretty cheap, got expensive) for alternate accomodation we felt like none of it could match. We (I) had been looking forward to returning for so long, and at that point, money became an issue I decided to deal with after we got home.

We decided to go back, but when we arrived we were sad to hear that they had no more double rooms left. Now the price was so much over our budget that it would have been irresponsible for us stay there. However; when we were about to leave, the receptionist offered us the suite for the price of a standard double room. I was stunned! now I didn´t just get to stay here, I got to stay in a suite!! Amazing..

The room was really nice.. It had a bedroom and a seperate living room.

We ordered roomservice one night wich was really nice. Their strawberries were great! We also had them in their courtyard..

We also ate at the restaurant one night. This was the only negative thing I have to say about this place. The service was poor but the food was great. The staff corrected each other in front of us and we waited for a while before we got the food.

I would deffinently reccomend this place.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ThereseGoings
Reviewed 23 November 2008

The American Colony Hotel makes considerable use of its history as a promotional and marketing tool. Do not be fooled. This is a very average hotel living on past glories but with the pretentions of a top hotel with of course the prices to match. The room I had was quite shabby and although cleaned daily the cleaning was not up to a very high standard. The food in the restaurants was nothing to write home about. The staff with some notable exceptions were helpful and friendly. The location of the hotel is ideal for those who like to walk. It is within 10 minutes of the Damascus Gate using Nablus Road or 10 minutes walk from the Hebron Gate using Salah Edin Street or 15 minutes walk to the Jaffa gate. There must be better hotels in Jerusalem within the same price bracket but if you like to see and be seen this may be the hotel for you but I will certainly look elsewhere when I visit Jerusalem again.
The holy sites are hoelessly overcrowded and those hoping for a religious or spiritual experience or even a few moments to pray alone have no opportunity to do so. These sites have become impossible with no crowd management and in some instances are accidents waiting to happen .

Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank Tighan
Reviewed 5 October 2008

The hotel is situated on the 'seam' and therefor we had sometimes problems to find a taxi driver who would drive us there at night. It's a 10-15 min. walk from Damascus Gate. We had a room in the 'new' part. It was spacious, clean and interestingly furnished. Certainly not luxurious. This is true for the entire hotel. The breakfast buffet is good, but modest. We had dinner once. There isn't much atmosphere in the restaurant. The food was of good quality but nothing to write home about. If you look for arabic cuisine and atmosphere, go elsewhere. Service in the restaurant seemed a little bit disconnected at times. Front desk service was ok. They have a nice, well stocked bar with a pleasant bar-keeper. The court yard is a very beautiful and quiet place. The pool is small, but pleasant. Also the sauna is modest. There is a very interesting book shop oppposite the hotel, as well as a a nice souvenir shop. All in all the American Colony is a nice place, but it's reputation exceeds reality.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank ABCM_nchen
Reviewed 28 August 2008

The American Colony is a nice hotel in the middle of what can be a chaotic city. I will leave the opinions of the neighborhood, etc., to others on this board but I will offer a few practical items to keep in mind.

The room:
The door locks are rather unusual as you have to use your room key to lock the door from the inside. That might be fine if you could just leave your key in the door overnight but you also need your key to operate the power and air conditioning for the room. This was rather disconcerting as had there been a need to evacuate in the middle of the night, especially if the power was out, you would have to fumble to find your key hanging on the wall and then somehow get it into the door lock to unlock the door. My recommendation is either to ask for a second key for your room or else to make sure you bring a small flashlight to this hotel “just in case.”

The king bed was very comfortable but, as there is a footboard, it was just a bit on the short side short for a tall person.

There is no clock radio nor any other kind of timekeeping device in the room so be sure to bring your own alarm clock!

There is no iron nor ironing board provided in the room if that is important to you. I did not check to find out if you could request one to be delivered by housekeeping.

The service:
As for the service it was a bit inconsistent. The check-in process was smooth and the staff very friendly but housekeeping seemed to be a bit slow (they did not attend to my room until mid-afternoon despite the fact that I had the ‘make up room’ hanger up since 8am). There was no answer on the 24 hour room service line several times early in the morning and it also took quite a long time to be served and to get the bill at the lovely courtyard restaurant. If you do have lunch at the courtyard be sure to check out the daily special which comes with bread, soup or salad, a nice main course, and coffee. The lunch special runs about USD$30. The included breakfast buffet is excellent and don’t miss out on the omelet station!

Other:
If you are settling you hotel bill in a foreign currency you do not have to pay the rather substantial VAT tax for most items charged directly to your room. If you do dine in the hotel, or order drinks at the pool, make sure you charge the meals to your room as this will save you a nice bit of change in the end. This VAT tax will, in fact, show up on the bill when you sign at the restaurant but don’t be alarmed – it will be removed when you check out. It appears that this VAT tax was removed automatically as, while I was prepared for a fight over this issue, it was taken care of at check-out with no discussion and no problem.

Stayed: August 2008